Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Vortex Strike Eagle?

Vortex Strike Eagle?

Morning all. I am looking at updating my scope from the Nikon 4.5-14x40 currently being used. The Vortex Strike Eagle in 3-18x44, being SFP, with EBRr moa reticle holds some appeal as I like the magnification and reticle. I would appreciate comments about this scope from those who have used them.

I know someone will suggest Nightforce for my 6.5x55, but having just bought a new house and about to have a large shed built, cannot spend that amount of coin. Many thanks in advance.

Whats wrong with the nikon? Imo the extra mag is unnecessary for hunting. Second focal plane is usefull if you use a mil dot or other ranging reticle (like the ebr) and dont dial for distance otherwise it adds expense. Also some crowded reticles can be a little busy and hard to read at low power. You will probaby also be up for new rings unless the nikon is 30 mm.
    Just my thoughts.

Thanks for the reply Marty Henry. Partly my sentiments too. The Nikon has excellent glass (wife has their cameras) but field of view a tad tunnellish. Have tipped over a goat at 408m after using Strelock and ranging the animal. Yes, I would need 30mm rings for a Vortex; have 1” optilocks on the Nikon.
    Steve123 likes this.

if you change your scope put a dpt 20 moa rail on it

So I can try to keep up with you eh?

it will give you a better choice of scope rings after the last couple of hunts you would be definitely shooting better than me i think i need glasses
    Ingrid 51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Whats wrong with the nikon? Imo the extra mag is unnecessary for hunting. Second focal plane is usefull if you use a mil dot or other ranging reticle (like the ebr) and dont dial for distance otherwise it adds expense. Also some crowded reticles can be a little busy and hard to read at low power. You will probaby also be up for new rings unless the nikon is 30 mm.
    Just my thoughts.
    I think you are confusing first & second focal plane. Traditional / "normal" scopes are second focal plane. e.g. leupold vx1 is second focal plane.
    I agree though, FFP can be hard to read at low magnification, adds expense, and can look busy as graduations etc appear very small and fine at low magnification.
    Ingrid 51 likes this.

i fitted a 5-25 56mm to my 7mm RM. got a confirmed hit on a hare at 983m. nice optics for the money, sure schmidt and bender etc are better but the cost is ridiculous
    Ingrid 51 likes this.

Yes @ChrisW got my ones and twos confused, thankfully it doesn't happen when I go to the toilet (yet)
    Cyclops, Ingrid 51 and ChrisW like this.

You said 4.5-14 so that must be a Nikon Prostaff.
    Are you wanting to get more magnification or a better glass?? or larger field of view.
    Staying with 1" rings you could upgrade to a Nikon Monarch 3 in 4-16x42 or 4-16x50 with side focus and either a first or second FP reticle.
    I think the Monarch 5 & 7 series are 30mm tubes and are a further step up in price. (still very good value)

Remember larger tube size adds a greater range of elevation. Should not affect light or field of view. Field of view is about object lenses size & magnification.
    Zq
    NB Note exposed turrets in the Strike Eagle.
    Last edited by ZQLewis; 06-09-2018 at 09:24 AM.
    Ingrid 51 likes this.

The scope I have is the Nikon Fieldmaster with nikoplex reticle and I am seeking a better field of view plus having some sort of drop feature. I like the nikon glass but holdover is either a guesstimate or I use the Strelok App on my phone. Can be rather fickle in that I need to aim at ‘about’ that point.

I have a 1-8 strike eagle. Not the same scope but for what it is worth the quality and clarity is impressive for the money. The model you are looking at would no doubt be even better with the larger objective.

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes View Post
    if you change your scope put a dpt 20 moa rail on it
    Why? I dont get 20moa rails on hunting rifles, unless it was something with a rainbow trajectory like a 308 shooting 178s I am yet to come across a scope/rifle combination that runs out of elevation before 1000 yds
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Why? I dont get 20moa rails on hunting rifles, unless it was something with a rainbow trajectory like a 308 shooting 178s I am yet to come across a scope/rifle combination that runs out of elevation before 1000 yds
    And how many people would actually shoot at game that far out. Its a bloody long carry. My 308 with 165s is rainbow enough past 500 so thats my self imposed limit.

Your PROSTAFF 5 glass is very nice even if its the older Buckmaster line. You could definitely upgrade to a MONARCH 3 with a BDC retire and use Spot In for your holdovers or step up to a 30mm tube in the M-Tactical line and get a 3-12x42 in MOA/MRAD reticle, your choice. You could even step up to a BLACK X1000 which is also 30 mm and SFP. I have 3 and they work great.
    Ingrid 51 likes this.