Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Moutere
  • 1 Post By Danny
  • 1 Post By hybridfiat
  • 1 Post By PERRISCICABA
  • 1 Post By smidey
  • 1 Post By JRW87
  • 1 Post By PERRISCICABA

Thread: Vortex Viper HS 4x16

Vortex Viper HS 4x16

Looking at a new scope for my 300wm, anyone have anything bad to say about Vortex?

Also I have existing 30mm rings should I stick with 30mm or go ahead and get 1" if I get a good deal on a 1" tube scope. My initial research is telling me there isnt actually much difference between 1" and 30mm tubes in lower end scopes.

In a hunting context, I have found my HS-T 4-16x44 a little bit average at absolute last light, but other than that no complaints.
    For the money, Vortex generally get a good rap, the warranty is mean't to be excellent.
    Last edited by Moutere; 29-04-2015 at 05:12 PM.
    JRW87 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    In a hunting context, I have found my HS-T 4-16x44 a little bit average at absolute last light, but other than that no complaints.
    For the money, Vortex generally get a good rap, the warranty is mean't to be excellent.
    At $800 its at the top end of my budget so I guess the question is can I do better?

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    What this says... Not top of the line but good value and a very good scope never the less. Def nothing wrong with them IMO.
    JRW87 likes this.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by JRW87 View Post
    At $800 its at the top end of my budget so I guess the question is can I do better?
    Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by JRW87 View Post
    Looking at a new scope for my 300wm, anyone have anything bad to say about Vortex?

Also I have existing 30mm rings should I stick with 30mm or go ahead and get 1" if I get a good deal on a 1" tube scope. My initial research is telling me there isnt actually much difference between 1" and 30mm tubes in lower end scopes.
    A 30mm scope gives the manufacturer space for more elevation. It will not gather more light as that's not dictated by the tube diameter. Do you need more elevation? No = Get a 1 inch.
    Marty Henry likes this.

Threads a year old but it is/was in your price range, certainly worth a PM.
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...mil-mil-12698/

I have 3 Vortex's, 2 HS-T and a PST, no problem at all with them. As I "understood" it is for a 300 WM, so you will need elevation and a good glass in a general manner.
    Just pick what will suit you better, scopes brand, tube diameter, magnification, etc, is you who need /will know what is better for you, all depends in what or how you will use it for.

Good luck.

Mac
    JRW87 likes this.

I hadn't heard of vortex until recently. Bought a diamondback 4-12 and was better than I expected it would be and the warranty is epic. They'll replace it if you wreck it. They show ones they've replaced, one was shot, one was damaged by force and another in a house fire. Gets my vote.

Sent from my workbench
    JRW87 likes this.
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

7mmsaum made me a very generous offer on alot more scope than I should be getting for $800 and did me a huge solid on some rings so case closed : )
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Ooooh - very intrigued now... Knowing 7 Saum you will not regret it for a second.... top dude helped me out with a few Q's on reloading .

BTW - out there I'm looking for a Vortex PST in 4-16 (either MIL or MOA) for a very good mate of mine - if anyone knows for some stonking deals going on out there at the moment? 11-1200 seems to be a bout par for ex-nz.

Hopefully he see's the light and buys the 7mm RM I've pointed him in the direction of also (which is a beauty!!) and puts this atop a nice Waitaki rail! Just sayn!

@Carpe Diem,
    Check Trade me, someone has a new one for $1200 or $1250, or contact Jason from Ozark Outdoors on ozarkoutdoors2010@hotmail.com for a price quote.

Good luck.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    Ooooh - very intrigued now... Knowing 7 Saum you will not regret it for a second.... top dude helped me out with a few Q's on reloading .

BTW - out there I'm looking for a Vortex PST in 4-16 (either MIL or MOA) for a very good mate of mine - if anyone knows for some stonking deals going on out there at the moment? 11-1200 seems to be a bout par for ex-nz.

Hopefully he see's the light and buys the 7mm RM I've pointed him in the direction of also (which is a beauty!!) and puts this atop a nice Waitaki rail! Just sayn!
    Carpe Diem likes this.