Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: vx5hd vx vx6hd

vx5hd vx vx6hd

Currently I'm looking at getting a new scope on my 7mm rem mag. I want to do it right the first time and get something that will stay on there, however price tag plays a massive factor. I'm considering other brands as well such as a nightforce nxs or Ziess v6, however I'm liking the look of the Leupold's currently. What are peoples opinions on the vx5hd 3-15x56 vs the vx6hd 3-18x50? Is the price difference worth it?
    ANTSMAN likes this.

Gkp
    What range do you want to shoot out to and do you want to dial for windage or are you happy to hold over?

Eventually I want to stretch the legs of the gun and will be reloading by then also. However 90% of the time it will be between 200 and 600. And I'd be happy enough to hold for wind, but may be worth having the option for the future?

I wouldn't go with a 56mm objective, too big and heavy. I had a 4.5-14x40 with a fine crosshair on my 7mm mag. It worked well out to 650ish yards.
    If you have the cash go for the VX6, if your budget won't geet you there the VX5 will be fine.
    Don't hold for wind unless the crosshair has horizontal markers like the windplex reticle.
    Shawn Carlock (check him out Long range guru from the states) says to always dial for the wind. Check out this article https://www.longrangehunting.com/art...g-the-wind.22/

I use VX5 and find them a great scope I've also had z5 but I like the VX5 better which has a better eye relief and better dial up.
    I've never had a vx6 so I can't comment on them.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Bos
    Got a 3-18 VX6HD with 50mm obj.lens. Allows me to shoot at distance when and if I need to. If you go to 56mm you'll have to think carefully about ring height (for the scope,not yours),and remember if you go higher than 18X your field of view decreases dramatically. On the hill, this means it can often be hard to find the animal in the scope, and at say 20X and above, your recoil wont allow you to see whether you've dropped the animal or not because your sight picture is so small

VX5hd + bells and whistles = Vx6hd.
    You have to ask yourself if the bells and whistles are worth the extra.
    Firedot is a great "extra".
    Stocky likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Gkp
    I found that a vx5 3 to 15 by 44 was fine on small goats out to 650 yards. I wouldn't shoot that far while hunting if too windy just to be ethical, target shooting is different of course.

If budget is a factor then you seriously can’t go wrong with a VX5 3-15x44. Mine is the windplex reticle and it’s my favourite scope.

I have a Sig Whiskey 5 3-15x52 that is halfway between the two but obviously not a leupold. It has illumination. A reticle with vertical and horizontal hashs in Moa. A zero stop locking Turret that locks the same way as the leupolds with a button. It also has the leveling feature from the VX6HD that puts up a little light to tell you your chanting the rifle to the right or the left. Except the VX6 does it for 2degree of level whereas the Sig will do it for either 1 degree off or 0.5 degrees off. It is very useful not having to check a bubble level. The entire reticle will illuminate. Worth a look. Mine is the newer one in black not grey. It also has a lifetime warranty which I used and this one is now brand new. I'm in two minds whether I keep it and build a new long range rifle or whether I sell it new. I did just buy another bow so am thinking I don't need it. I sold my old VX5HD and replaced it with the sig which I liked more as it has more elevation available for the Turret as its got 25ish moa a turn and isnt limited to 2 turns. I then sold the long range rifle and all my other rifles except for 2 in NZ and one in the USA. I now run 2 Vx3i 3.5-10s and a Z5 3.5-18x44. The VX3is are animal accurate way out there. I took a whitetail at 650yards in the US through one shoulder that spun him around and put the second shot through the same spot on the other shoulder. I found the Sightron S3ss 6-24 I had to be too much zoom and the exposed unlocked turrets caught me once and then I didn't trust using it hunting. Was a great target scope though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunting7mm View Post
    Currently I'm looking at getting a new scope on my 7mm rem mag. I want to do it right the first time and get something that will stay on there, however price tag plays a massive factor. I'm considering other brands as well such as a nightforce nxs or Ziess v6, however I'm liking the look of the Leupold's currently. What are peoples opinions on the vx5hd 3-15x56 vs the vx6hd 3-18x50? Is the price difference worth it?
    A few things to consider in the price difference, if you haven't already. VX-6 come with allumina flip up caps, illuminated level plex reticle and zero lock windage. If you're going to buy VX-5 Fire Dot, then fit after market caps(which never fit all that well) and a bubble level(which can add bulk to your set up) the VX-6 with the extra 3x starts to look pretty good, if you've got the budget.
    If moneys tight, VX-5 with Wind Plex
    Stocky likes this.

Thanks for all the info, just wondering where does the non hd vx6 3-18x44 come into play? How does this compare to the rest.

Gone but not forgotten
    For hunting I would go vx5hd 3-15x44 firedot. I had one and really liked it, but sold the rifle it was on and wouldn’t fit my other rifles unless I removed the rear open sight. You can still dial for windage if you remove the cap and dial is resettable to zero
    Nugget connaisseur likes this.

Im in the same boat. Looking at VX5 to upgrade my 3-9 freedom. All my friends with both the 5 and 6 say The 6 is alot more coin for not much more features.
    They all love the firedot. I would prefer mil so i see they have released a VX5 with mil turrets, unsure if its got the firedot as an option tho.

Just to throw a spanner in the works the other scope i want to try is the Z5 swaroski, They just released a Z5i (illuminated) 3.5 to 18. But it is 44 Objective lenses so might not be what you are after. Its a tad more the the VX5. But ill have to wait and see what the prices are for both the new scopes.
    Danny and 7mag like this.

Have considered the z5 3-18x44 as that is in the same price bracket but moved away as it's only a 25mm tube?

Reason why I'm not sure on the vx5hd 3-15x44 is only the 15x zoom compared the the vx6's 18. And only being 44mm lens is it lacking somewhat for those longer shots? I'm not worried about weight therefore going to a 50 or 56mm lens isnt a worry in that perspective.