Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Wanting a cheap little basher gun

Wanting a cheap little basher gun

Unfortunately last yeah I had to sell most of my firearms and reloading kit so I could pay for our honeymoon, as the wedding went a little overboard. women >< Anyways, so I have now managed to get back into it. Saved enough for a new shot gun, and now I'm saving for optics and a new rifle New rifle is likely to be something I can do LR with, so of course thats gonna be 3-4k rifle. I want something for plinking and pests in the meantime, and dont want to spend a bomb, as that would detract from my savings for a LR rig. I was thinking of bringing in a Bushnell Banner scope which would be about $170 landed into nz. I have been scouring trademe for a $500 gun in .223 or similar, but nada. So what are the Norinco jw103/105 really like? or spend a little more and get a stevens or something? Ideally I'd like to spend as close to $600 as possible with scope, otherwise its gonna cut into my decent rifle fund too much. the Norinco is $399 so with that scope is $570 plus rings.

Is there a better option for similar money in a similar calibre?

Brand new weatherby vanguard from H&F with scope (albeit a shitty no name one) is $599 from H&F

Ps. You poor bastard, I would have sold the missus instead!
    Savage1 and mucko like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

lol. To be fair, it was my idea to go on a cruise. Seeing as I had never left the country as an adult we thought it was a good idea to have a decent holiday. Fast Forward 8 grand and I have no guns.

Ok, so I totally forgot about H&F they also have the Model 770 for 599 with a scope? 770 vs weatherby? Is the 770 a full size stock?

Weatherby. I'd buy the Norinco over the 770. Total junk. When you have the cash you can rebarrel the Weatherby and that can be your LR rig.
    CreepingDeath likes this.

If you buy a 770 I will drive to your house and punch you in the dick, which will still be less painful than owning a 770.

I'd buy the Norinco over a cheap Remington. Or any Remington made in the last 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by AzumitH View Post
    If you buy a 770 I will drive to your house and punch you in the dick, which will still be less painful than owning a 770.

I'd buy the Norinco over a cheap Remington. Or any Remington made in the last 5 years.

Ok so the weatherby doest come with a scope according to the H&F website? so that makes it quite expensive. Norinco seems to be an option.

Avoid the welfare rifles at all cost. They are abominations.

Yep, the Weatherby is actually a pretty nice rifle for the money, I have a 7mm Rem Mag and a Howa .223 (same thing different branding), they don't feel or shoot like the budget rifles.

That Rem 770 is the worst excuse for a rifle I have ever picked up, horrible is an understatement!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Go into a store, the website is shit, they will do you a blued synthetic with scope for $599. Was at the Whangarei branch on Thursday and they has them advertised.

Haha dick punch awsome:thumbup:
    The advice has been good so far. I would keep an eye in trade me for a second hand whatever comes up. Theres a couple of norincos on there at the moment for cheaper than cheap. But also consider 6.5 and 7mm mausers there are some midlands hanging around for the 350-400 dollar mark they are a sufficient rifle or even look for a remington 778 .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Get the Weatherby, fuck all the other junk

The gimp has spoken.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Might wait a little longer and get another howa if I cant get a wetherby from H&F will pop in to botany tomorrow and have a looksie. Will troll the local shops and see whats in stock in second hand options too. Ideally a nice wood .223 would be nice. Guess the budget can stretch a little. Time to have another trademe clear out lol.