Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: what 223 to get.

what 223 to get.

want to get a mini action 223 with a twist fast enough for 69 to 75gr projectiles with a good trigger suitable for young shooters to learn to use a centrefire. needs to feed reliably and accurate .was looking at howa mini is there anything similar or better that I should look at?

What twist is the howa mini I think there one in 9
    I would suggest one Big time if that will suit
    Other I think you have to go to tikka to get a 1-8

Savage,brilliant rifles for the price, zastava as its mini action is a duplicate of a full scale mauser or if your budget goes there a styer scout

Unfortunately the zastava is only 1:12 so only good for 55gn maybe 60
    Good rifles though

mine will do 64grn winchester factory.... 50grn barnes plenty enough for deer sub 200 yards.

CZ Perhaps ?
    Sometimes awkward to carry if you normally carry just forward of the trigger guard

I'd also look at the Sauer 100 but you'd have to check the twist as I've no idea

Then there is always the old failsafe, starts with T.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Hmmm- it doesn't have to be a mini action to be petite. I accidentally compared my Howa mini (which was a nice rifle once the bulky stock was smashed about with a horse rasp) with a Rem Model 7, and bugger me, they were the same length. The Remy has a little more beef to it due to its bigger bolt and receiver diameters, but overall I was very surprised at the small variation.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    Unfortunately the zastava is only 1:12 so only good for 55gn maybe 60
    Good rifles though
    Mine is 1:10 but yes it taps out bullet wise at 64 grain unless you use a round nose that gets you to 69

Ar-15......

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Nibblet likes this.

CZ, lovely to carry, shoot and accurate.
    Tikka, .......well it's a Tikka, smooth , light, accurate...................does exactly what a 3 k to 5k rifle does.....only better ( wait for the incoming )
    Howa, great gun for the money but that stock just doesn't feel right for me.

Then you have a others, Savage, Marlin etc, you probably can't go wrong with the top three and the others are fine also . Such a nice , accurate and pleasant round to shoot.

viper..... you are a member of the classic club now you forgot BSA.....

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    viper..... you are a member of the classic club now you forgot BSA.....
    @Micky Duck, true my friend, it has now just come back from getting a trigger job and is suppressed. A bipod hopefully this weekend and she is ready to go.
    Stunning weekend down here, rabbit shoot this arvo.
    The reason I didn't mention BSA was mine is 222.

Have it rechambered, gasp! sacrilege!
    Micky Duck likes this.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Savage makes a excellent 12LRPV single shot, 1:7 version extremely accurate (out of box F-class competition level accuracy), so says most users/reviews. pity no one brings them in. looks good with the fluting and has factory fitted HS Precision fiberglass stock with v-block. Only 1100 USD in the States,

I would buy it if savage importer brings it in and we can get our hands on it for 1700 NZD.
    gadgetman and Cyclops like this.

not really convinced about the stock on the howa mini but like the small action. haven't used a savage since my old 340 in 223 shouldn't have sold that one. have been a bit put off Remington rifles since the last one that never hold same point of impact but that was mainly poor fit up by the gunshop in Auckland as the bell of the scope was in the rings by a millimetre as the compact scope that was supposed to be the right size did not fit the ring space and had poor eye relief .cz looks pretty nice maybe a bit nice for a youngster to learn and use .ar15 will be for me later for fun and goats when I can find some. and yes I would not ruin a bsa by rechambering it. nobody has mentioned a ruger or a Mossberg so am guessing that they are not a popular rifle. probably come down to a howa or savage if a spare stock is not to dear for either.