Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By Steve123
  • 1 Post By rambo-6mmrem
  • 1 Post By Seventenths
  • 2 Post By Spitfire
  • 1 Post By Steelisreal
  • 1 Post By Shadowsol
  • 3 Post By 10-Ring

Thread: What 6.5

What 6.5

My rifle currently 6.5creedmooris over 1000 rounds old now
    And while it’s still shooting under 1/2moa at 100m I know at some point it will probably require a new tube
    And wondering what direction to go
    Ive owned all popular 6.5’s before with the Exception of 6.5x47l
    I have the most experience with 260 and creedmoor
    But have a fair amount of time with a 55 also

The rifle is a howa I love the thing so won’t change anything just the tube I will keep the same profile and length (20”)
    I had the gunsmith install a long mag box 2.930 so can seat those 140’s out a mile
    I generally shoot 120-130’s though at arround 2900 depending on load and shooting to 350m

Im wondering if I should change caliber or stick with the creedmoor
    And if i do change
    What to go for?

The action probably isn’t long enough for the 55 loaded long so that’s out

260 rem or an improved version of

Or
    6.5x47 to try something new

Or stick with creedmoor which has been a brilliant round been very happy with it

Thorghts?

I’ll run the current barrel it until it dies but just starting to think about the next move

Stick with what works. Is it economic to re-barrel a Howa?
    It may be cheaper to just get a new barreled action.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    Bill999 and mikee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    Stick with what works. Is it economic to re-barrel a Howa?
    It may be cheaper to just get a new barreled action.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    It’s arround the same price arround 800-1k ether way depending on barrel chosen etc
    Though my action has had alot of work done about $500 worth
    So if I redo all that would definitely be better to rebarrel
    Plus you have the advantage of going a match barrel (not that, that matters for what i do)
    Steve123 likes this.

If it ain’t broken then don’t fix it!

If you like the calibre then stick with it but... variety is the spice of life... then by all means switch to another calibre you haven’t tried like a .260 AI or 6.5x47

Ever thought of going to a 6mm round like a 6mm GT or 6mm Dasher as Wingman has one.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    If it ain’t broken then don’t fix it!

If you like the calibre then stick with it but... variety is the spice of life... then by all means switch to another calibre you haven’t tried like a .260 AI or 6.5x47

Ever thought of going to a 6mm round like a 6mm GT or 6mm Dasher as Wingman has one.
    True and I have all the loading gear for the creedmoor aswell
    Good stuff

Nah to be honest I probably wouldn’t go to a 6mm with my main hobby being black powder and Antique firearms
    I can really only justify a alrounder for hunting and target shooting
    Although I love 6mm as you can tell from my handle
    I have found it a little lacking on really big animals 6.5 is better in that regard

It’s your choice, but I would go 6.5x47 if it were me. Like the Creedmoor, it was specifically designed for target shooting, but is a shorter case and has small primer pockets as standard.

That said, with the current lack of ammo and components, you are more likely to find Creedmoor loaded rounds or cases.

You should get at least another 1000 shots from your Creedmoor before a new barrel is needed.
    Puffin and Moa Hunter like this.

I'm with @Seventenths - if you're sticking with a 20" tube then you're about optimal from many angles. You won't gain a lot with an improved 260 (loaded to your mag max) for a fair bit more work prepping cases. Running to similar pressures you'll lose velocity going to a 6.5*47 - despite it being wonderfully efficient, it is still a smaller case. It shines in a longer barrel for sure.

Being all Captain Sensible about it getting a match quality barrel and a precision cut chamber should really make it (the 6.5 Creedmoor) shine.

On the other hand, trying something new just because you can and it makes you happy is the best reason of all!

You already have a good handle on loading the Creedmoor and I assume you have a supply of cases and powder that work well in it?

Assuming your use for the rifle hasn't changed then you could just make it gooderer with a nice barrel. Or you could try a 6mm Creedmoor or 6/6.5*47? With your longer mag box even a 284? Lapua are making 284 brass now...

Edit: Read the responses posted whilst I was typing - scrub the 6mm suggestion! I'm in a similar boat to you - my rifle has fired quite a few more rounds than yours though. I keep coming back to the same conclusion - shiny new match barrel in the same calibre
    Last edited by Steelisreal; 05-02-2021 at 08:58 AM.
    57jl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelisreal View Post
    I'm with @Seventenths - if you're sticking with a 20" tube then you're about optimal from many angles. You won't gain a lot with an improved 260 (loaded to your mag max) for a fair bit more work prepping cases. Running to similar pressures you'll lose velocity going to a 6.5*47 - despite it being wonderfully efficient, it is still a smaller case. It shines in a longer barrel for sure.

Being all Captain Sensible about it getting a match quality barrel and a precision cut chamber should really make it (the 6.5 Creedmoor) shine.

On the other hand, trying something new just because you can and it makes you happy is the best reason of all!

You already have a good handle on loading the Creedmoor and I assume you have a supply of cases and powder that work well in it?

Assuming your use for the rifle hasn't changed then you could just make it gooderer with a nice barrel. Or you could try a 6mm Creedmoor or 6/6.5*47? With your longer mag box even a 284? Lapua are making 284 brass now...

Edit: Read the responses posted whilst I was typing - scrub the 6mm suggestion! I'm in a similar boat to you - my rifle has fired quite a few more rounds than yours though. I keep coming back to the same conclusion - shiny new match barrel in the same calibre
    I have a pretty good handle on loading for 260 and 55 also
    Muz (quadhunter 260) who passed away a couple of weeks ago and a 260
    I used to do all his reloading and range work
    Plus i was running 260 myself before switching to the cm a couple of years ago (simply because the rifle I wanted didn’t come in 260

I think all 4 popular 6.5’s 47,cm,260 and 55 are all very similar

Yes i do have all the gear for the creedmoor which is a bonus
    Brass will be due for replacement betime the rebarrel happens

There's a big outlay of money and range trips to move to a new cartridge:

Mag and feed fix up
    Dies
    Shell holder possibly
    Small primers and tool (if you go that way)
    New powder type
    New projectile experimenting
    If you can just drop in your previous powder, projectiles and primers then likely your new cartridge is pretty much the same as the previous one and why bother changing ?
    Load work up with untold ladders, test batches, chronying, trips to the range, trajectory confirmation, terminal ballistics verification (goats), relearning wind and other behaviour.

Stuff you need anyway if you rebarrel in the same cartridge:
    Barrel
    New brass
    New suppressor

People say the Creedmore is pretty good so you're not likely to improve on it unless you've got length to spare in the action (tikka).
    You might be able to do minimal work up for a new load and if you can get one shooting to the same velocity and trajectory it will be an easy and good swapover.

I would stick with the creedmoor - you're set up for it and it works well - seems the obvious answer (might be bias I run 2 of them)

Unless there is the option to go to a 6.5PRC... (which you probably don't "need" for shooting less than 350m - although you can sling some heavier pills)
    Moa Hunter likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    True and I have all the loading gear for the creedmoor aswell
    Good stuff

Nah to be honest I probably wouldn’t go to a 6mm with my main hobby being black powder and Antique firearms
    I can really only justify a alrounder for hunting and target shooting
    Although I love 6mm as you can tell from my handle
    I have found it a little lacking on really big animals 6.5 is better in that regard
    Found it lacking on big animals wash your mouth out!

If you have the reloading gear for 6.5CM then just stick with it, unless you can find a good reason to switch (which I doubt as they are all very similar) then I'd go for what ever I was already set up for.

If you are worried about maximum length for mag/action then more reasonable to go the CM route rather than 260 or 6.5x55.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Stick with the 6.5 CM. I have been told by young spotty faced Herbert's at various H&F stores that I can shoot deer out to 1,000m with my Tikka 6.5 CM easy as.
    mikee, Mathias and Steelisreal like this.