Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Beetroot
  • 1 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By Russian 22.

Thread: What bipod length

What bipod length

Hello

I am in the market for a good quality bipod for the tops. Tussock looking onto bush edge, farms and sighting in will be it's probable usage.

With this in mind what do you guys use?

I was reccommended 9-12 inch rather than the 6 -9. The guy who modifies the harris pods usually ends up using that one.

cheers

SiB
    The 13-25 inch is worthwhile too

At it’s shortest it’s a good bench/rest bipod, and extended allows good shooting on the tops imho

The other option is a Primos Trigger Stick.

IMO the 6-9 is useless in the field, it doesn't take much grass or dip in the terrain to make it useless.
    I only use mine on the bench these days.
    Even a 9-13 gets defeat by long grass surpringly easy.
    Steve123 and Pixie Z like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    IMO the 6-9 is useless in the field, it doesn't take much grass or dip in the terrain to make it useless...
    +1

In fact what you more often need for tussock tops is a shooting stick or long bipod legs that allow you to sit rather than lay down...

https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunt...8.uts?slotId=2

Or if you really want the best of all worlds, get one of these and fit whichever legs are appropriate for your location:

https://javelinbipod.co.uk/products/...pr_seq=uniform

With this system you can use their longer legs for trekking poles.

... but if you're going for a standard bipod, go for the longer legs.
    Last edited by planenutz; 10-03-2020 at 07:55 AM.

yeah 6-9 keeps you in the grass

go longer

I've found my 13-25 great for shooting over tussock.

9-12 at a minimum. i would suggest one that has tilt on it for uneven ground

9-13 is ideal, but still fails to clear the tussock. The larger ones are good as you can shoot from a sitting position clearing the tussock, downside they're quite big. I run 9-13, never had too much drama with finding a spot to go prone.

I should add that I've never actually hunted tussock yet so not sure how long it will be. Lots to think about.

Won't be getting 6-9 for sure.

MB
    Hi mate, I want a bipod for similar reasons, primarily for scope zeroing, but if the right hunting opportunity arises...

As for the Primos Trigger Stick suggestion, I bought the knock-off version a little while ago and it's been surprisingly good, but I don't think it (or the real deal) would compare to a bipod in terms of stability. Quad sticks are superior in that respect.

I'm looking at this: https://www.gunworks.co.nz/shop/item...ipod-of-death-
    Russian 22. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Hi mate, I want a bipod for similar reasons, primarily for scope zeroing, but if the right hunting opportunity arises...

As for the Primos Trigger Stick suggestion, I bought the knock-off version a little while ago and it's been surprisingly good, but I don't think it (or the real deal) would compare to a bipod in terms of stability. Quad sticks are superior in that respect.

I'm looking at this: https://www.gunworks.co.nz/shop/item...ipod-of-death-
    I was looking at exactly the same thing! I will have to try and get out in the area I want to use it in and see what happens. I have in the past just used my 90 l pack

MB
    It's a lot of money for a pod. Thinking about something cheaper/simpler since it's primarily going to be for target shooting/scope zeroing, but I know at some point, I'll want to use it in the field and end up modifying it at even greater expense!

BTW, it would be good to meet up for a hunt again. My pig spot seems to have dried up, so keen to get out, definitely your side of the Brynderwyns. You can teach me all that you have learnt! I'm booked up with work, family and fishing for quite some time, but maybe later on in the year...

That bipod seems really expensive for a Harris with spikes?

I like the look of the bipod they THLR uses on his blaser. Any one tried these and has a rough cost?

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    It's a lot of money for a pod. Thinking about something cheaper/simpler since it's primarily going to be for target shooting/scope zeroing, but I know at some point, I'll want to use it in the field and end up modifying it at even greater expense!

BTW, it would be good to meet up for a hunt again. My pig spot seems to have dried up, so keen to get out, definitely your side of the Brynderwyns. You can teach me all that you have learnt! I'm booked up with work, family and fishing for quite some time, but maybe later on in the year...
    Yes it is. I would be more inclined to go put and use a pack as a rest or a modified walking stick as a rest. And then decide if its necessary.

For zero a scope. Get yah wife to sew up some rice bags. Works a charm and is surprisingly stable when prone.

Of course. Tangihua was a bit of a jungle. I have a reliable pig spot but I would think a deer is more to our liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    That bipod seems really expensive for a Harris with spikes?

I like the look of the bipod they THLR uses on his blaser. Any one tried these and has a rough cost?
    Yeah I thought so.

No. Hopefully he comments sometime soon
    MB likes this.