Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: What to buy? Light weight, 300m accuracy, cheap ammo, pref chassis stock

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    Tikka T3x Superlight 6.5 Creedmoor. It'll be very accurate straight out of the box, have an excellent trigger and a super slick bolt. DPT make a nice chassis stock. I personally don't see the point of a chassis stock on a hunting rifle but each to their own.
    I like the angle of a more vertical pistol grip for shooting comfortably over a traditional style grip. But yes, a chassis rifle can get hung up a little bit in thick scrub. Pro's and cons for both though - Put a folding stock on your chassis and you'd have a really compact rifle for carrying in the brush.
    xtightg and Larskramer like this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    The Tikka's in 6.5cm come with an Med+ sized magazine which is longer than the normal Med/.308 etc sized magazine, which at least in my experience allowed for seating of 143ELDX to the lands and still mag feed-able.
    Same experience here Chris. My Tikka T3x 6.5cm can seat the 143 ELD-X to the lands easily and still mag feed. One thing I've noticed is that that model in 6.5 CM now comes with a 22" barrel in NZ whereas mine has a 24" barrel (light not superlight). Not that 2" makes a heck of a lot of difference.
    ChrisW likes this.

My tikka a 300wm, and the mags too short. Bad experience with them for my first tikka...but happy to try a 6.5 cm tikka if you all recommend it.... what's the lightest, cleanest looking and readily available chassis for the tikka?

I am looking for something along these lines as well and have posted another thread looking for input. I am set on 223 as I don't have a rife in that calibre. Trying to avoid a tikka due to the short calibre in a long action.

Quote Originally Posted by Larskramer View Post
    My tikka a 300wm, and the mags too short. Bad experience with them for my first tikka...but happy to try a 6.5 cm tikka if you all recommend it.... what's the lightest, cleanest looking and readily available chassis for the tikka?
    Mdt oryx.

Or if you're lucky a second hand dpt

Tidy Parker Hale,303,fixed 4 power scope and $2000 worth of ammo will make you a better hunter and shooter than most today.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Looking at anruger m77 in 6.5prc, mdt lss gen 2 chassis, with all the add ons and a pulsar thermion xp38 scope.

A bit of a switcheroo from the intro description and your optic choice. Did you win lotto?
    veitnamcam and norsk like this.

If 10k is your limit, which it sounds like it is, then I would go sako carbonlight in 6.5 creedmor with a v6hd 3-18. And have change left.

Chasis rifles are heavy, thermals are heavy, Ruger 77s are not nice, 6.5prc ammo is not cheap. You setup above sounds horrendous
    veitnamcam, tikka, GWH and 2 others like this.

I have about 14k to spend.

Pulsar thermion 9k.
    Leaves mean bit to create an rig to throw it on.

How accurate and nice to use are the howa 1500 mini action? Am looking at those also in 6.5 grendel.

Pulsar thermion 9k.

How accurate and nice to use are the howa 1500 mini action? Am looking at those also in 6.5 grendel.
    My howa 1500 are very accurate. Never had any issues with accuracy with mine.
    Larskramer likes this.

GWH

Pulsar thermion 9k.

My howa mini 6.5G shoots sub half MOA with hornady black 123gr eld-m factory ammo.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mini howa is looking good to me. Super light also. Do these how's come threaded? Any specific barrell design to look for ? Somthing pre threaded aswell as long lasting. I imagine some rounds will be thrown down it

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis27 View Post
    Attachment 128626
    Love my Tikka t3x superlite in 308. 16 inch barrel, fluted barrel and bolt, carbon stock. Shoots sub MOA with factory ammo. Comfortable to carry and shoot no trouble to 300mtrs plus. Have a friend with same rifle with dial up scope shoots confidently to 500. Weighs 6.4lb bolt and mag in with scope rings on minus scope. Can weigh with scope but is still very light
    Hey mate I am looking at doing the same thing - how is the recoil with that puppy?

If you want lightweight, chassis you could get a 300 blackout Howa Mini Action chopped to 11 or 12" suppressed in a MDT LSS Lightweight chassis (Target Dynamics stocks these).

Get a lightweight Oceania Defence suppressor if you are happy spending the money on the can or a DPT on it as they are pretty light too.

The suppressor would start just after the handguard bit ends I would think so would look quite cool. @tikka is the man to speak to as he uses a 12" 300 blackout for hunting with a dial up scope.

That setup may give you a lightweight rifle with 250 - 300m range (you would have to ask @tikka max distance he shoots at).

300 blackout only needs something like 10" of barrel to reach max velocity.

Name:  Howa mini.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  23.6 KB
    Sasquatch likes this.