Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Daisy
  • 1 Post By Makros
  • 1 Post By zimmer
  • 4 Post By Daisy

Thread: What to do with .22 BRNO barrel?

What to do with .22 BRNO barrel?

Hi all,

The barrel on my 2E has a 2" section of corrosion 3-4 inches forward of chamber. I can't get the rifle to group at all (tried several different brands of ammo, scope and rings are tight) after 3 decades of accurate shooting. Two questions: Would this corrosion cause the inaccuracy (pretty sure I know the answer to this but would absolutely love to be wrong) and secondly: can the rifle be rebarrelled? I have a great deal of attachment to this rifle so cost isn't necessarily a barrier to repair.

Thanks in advance to any helpful replies.
    CBH Australia likes this.

Can the corrosion be the cause of the inaccuracy. Yes. Is it? Who knows, but if the corrosion turned up and then it stopped shooting accurately I think you have your answer.

Can it be rebarrelled yes - quite easily by any competent gunsmith. A decent one can also cut dovetails and swap over any open sights if you have them.

I'd do a few things:
    Check the crown - any pitting or discolouration or visible damage? If so get it re-crowned.

I'd then try giving it a good clean including a good brush out. Then try shooting, if no improvement then lap the bore with a bit of lapping paste (autosol will work) being very careful to not contact the throat etc with the cleaning rod. Then try shoot it again (needless to say clean the paste out thoroughly beforehand).

Still not shooting? Get someone else to shoot it (sometimes we suck and just don't shoot well some days).

Not you? Talk to gunsmith about replacing barrel.
    Hermitage likes this.

I think with that length of bad bore your accuracy will definitely suffer.
    Bulges are a bit different. One of the most accurate 22s I shot was a BSA with a bulge 1/2 way down the barrel. Bulges usually are less than a bullet length in length. I have a bulged Sako P54 which shoots extremely well. The bore either side of the bulge is very good.
    As suggested you could try a good clean but include the throat as 22s are also subject to carbon rings. Autosol is very good just go easy using Autosol. You can clean forever with Autosol and continue to get black on the patch. This is parent metal.
    Check the crown as suggested but also check for any flaring at the muzzle.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I have a Brno mod 2 I'm looking to sell if you want another.

bore paste is probably worth a try

Thanks for the advice- couple of things to look into here. Wish I'd been more diligent about cleaning the .22 now, was under the impression it wasn't as important as full bore barrells. Cheers.

usually its not

the wax on the outside of the subsonics tend to keep 22 barrels mint
    Im yet to do anything to my pooger and its gone thru at least 5 bricks so far

improper storage usually is the culprit or removing the protective wax and not oiling it after

Bit of an update for those that are interested- I took the advice above and gave the corroded area a scrub with a copper brush and some autosol, then a few patches pulled through. Barrel came up bright and shiny, no residual corrosion which was very positive; I was concerned about pitting. The rifle now shoots accurately again and I'm absolutely rapt. Thanks very much for the good advice, think I'll be more diligent about cleaning the barrel in future. Cheers
    Bill999, Hutch, norsk and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    Bit of an update for those that are interested- I took the advice above and gave the corroded area a scrub with a copper brush and some autosol, then a few patches pulled through. Barrel came up bright and shiny, no residual corrosion which was very positive; I was concerned about pitting. The rifle now shoots accurately again and I'm absolutely rapt. Thanks very much for the good advice, think I'll be more diligent about cleaning the barrel in future. Cheers
    Good result. Nice one.