Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By veitnamcam
  • 6 Post By tui_man2
  • 1 Post By hunter308
  • 1 Post By Happy
  • 1 Post By dfmaisey
  • 3 Post By Toby

Thread: What the heck would have caused this

What the heck would have caused this

Was giving the bolt of my rifle a wipe over tonight after doing some load testing at muckos place yesterday and noticed these gouges in the side of the right hand bolt lug, any idea of what would have caused this? , is it still safe to use and anything I can do to prevent this continuing to happen.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

A file? A fall onto a sharp corner?

looks like crap in action.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    mikee and Maca49 like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

AB Precision
    Right handed?
    Action screw sticking up to far just nipping on it

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, Toby, Maca49 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    looks like crap in action.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    If you are not sure if it is "crap" in the action, try the "scratch and sniff" test

On a more serious note, surely to mark it up like that you would feel it binding working the action
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    If you are not sure if it is "crap" in the action, try the "scratch and sniff" test

On a more serious note, surely to mark it up like that you would feel it binding working the action
    I did feel it binding yesterday but thought it might have just not been enough shoulder bump but after @vietnamcams suggestion of crap in action prompted me to grab torch and shine it up there to have a good look and sure enough as per @tui_man2s suggestion it was the action screw I had obviously nipped it up too tight after stripping it down to dry the water from under the action from my hunt up clements last weekend anyway have backed the front action screw off and is back to normal just gave a couple of burrs a light smooth off with my sharpening stone.
    johnino likes this.

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    A burr from poor machining in the breach?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    A burr from poor machining in the breach?
    No it was the front action screw as I sized it up against the marks while I had it out after starting this thread and it was a perfect match

Buy a torque wrench like the Fatboy screw driver the tightness of those bolts I once found changed POI heaps especially on Rugers
    Plus you can use on your scope mounts as we'll
    johnino likes this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Buy a torque wrench like the Fatboy screw driver the tightness of those bolts I once found changed POI heaps especially on Rugers
    Plus you can use on your scope mounts as we'll
    I have been thinking about getting one of those torque driver things but just got to get my bills back up to date with all of these short pays I have been having before I can buy any more gun stuff

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    I did feel it binding yesterday but thought it might have just not been enough shoulder bump but after @vietnamcams suggestion of crap in action prompted me to grab torch and shine it up there to have a good look and sure enough as per @tui_man2s suggestion it was the action screw I had obviously nipped it up too tight after stripping it down to dry the water from under the action from my hunt up clements last weekend anyway have backed the front action screw off and is back to normal just gave a couple of burrs a light smooth off with my sharpening stone.
    Grinding a little off the end of the front action screw will help to give more adequate clearance. Actually, this sort of thing is one of the reasons for glass/pillar bedding wooden or laminated stocks, as over time (or from over-tightening) the wood fibres can compress, which then allows the screws to come through further than they did previously. Action screws contacting the bolt lugs can cause accuracy problems as well, and rear screws protruding through too far can catch on the cocking piece of the bolt. Seen it many times before.
    nevereadyfreddy likes this.
    Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but that doesn't mean that every opinion is right.

Quote Originally Posted by dfmaisey View Post
    Grinding a little off the end of the front action screw will help to give more adequate clearance. Actually, this sort of thing is one of the reasons for glass/pillar bedding wooden or laminated stocks, as over time (or from over-tightening) the wood fibres can compress, which then allows the screws to come through further than they did previously. Action screws contacting the bolt lugs can cause accuracy problems as well, and rear screws protruding through too far can catch on the cocking piece of the bolt. Seen it many times before.
    Thanks for that Dean out of curiosity how much do you charge to pillar bed a stock as I am thinking about getting this done when I am a bit more flush with the funds as I do like the idea of having something a bit more solid for the action to pull up against than having it sit on straight plastic I would ask a freind of our family from over there to do it but he isn't gunsmithing anymore going by the last time I talked to him a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    Thanks for that Dean out of curiosity how much do you charge to pillar bed a stock as I am thinking about getting this done when I am a bit more flush with the funds as I do like the idea of having something a bit more solid for the action to pull up against than having it sit on straight plastic I would ask a freind of our family from over there to do it but he isn't gunsmithing anymore going by the last time I talked to him a couple of years ago.
    If you're going to spend money on the stock might as well just buy a new stock.
    tui_man2, kokako and BRADS like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    If you're going to spend money on the stock might as well just buy a new stock.
    If I were to buy a new stock it would have to be one of these ones laminate stocks are not too bad but why get one when you can get something that looks alot nicer I would still have it pillar bedded so why not do it to my factory synthetic one
    Boyds: PLAT REMINGTON 700 SPS DBM LA FBC ZZ F