Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What its worth?

What its worth?

Helping out an old cobber to guesstimate what his firearms are worth. I just want to be able to give him a $XXXX figure to keep it simple for him to understand therefore not interested in anecdotes, philosophical quips, remarks such as $1 reserve or put it up to an auction etc. Apologies if you feel offended.

I know what they can be worth when parted out into individual parts, but these are not it. I have a rough idea but I dont want to stray off the reservation either.

Top: 1878 Martini-Henry Mk2 .577/450. Pretty much brand new, never been fired so the rifling is A+++. Heaps of Nepalese and RSAF markings. Initially bought wrapped in grease paper so cleaned up and stored away since. Bought from the IMA Nepalese collection in 2004, all paperwork and import/export permits are supplied to prove its origin. A similar Nepalese MH was sold at the recent Militaria auction and I think this example surpasses it by a mile. Comes with the correct socket bayonet, sling and original cleaning tools etc. Unsure if the rifle is entirely numbers matching but the sling has the same Nepalese numbers on the sling & trigger guard.

Middle: 1943 No4 Mk1. Marked M47 with previous markings scrubbed out. All parts are LB-marked so might have been a LB-supplied and subsequently scrubbed? Very good rifling but unfortunately wooden fore-stock has the dreaded DP very lightly imprinted on it but no other DPs anywhere on the rifle. Serial number on bolt and receiver matches. Rifle retains at least 80% or most of the original finish.

Bottom: 1942/43 MA SMLE. Marked Lithgow on all parts. All matching numbers (butt,fore-stock, nose-cap & receiver) other than the bolt. Excellent rifling with no rust spots on the barrel. Rifle retains at least 80% or most of the original finish.

Name:  image0.jpeg
Views: 336
Size:  113.1 KB

Going by the prices realised list from Ted’s recent auction, number 4 mk1’s in GWO&C where from $700 up to 900. Your one looks very good, with a bayonet so $900ish would be fair.
    No1 Mk3’s were 8-900ish. I don’t know the bayonet values, and I wasn’t following martini prices.

Could get Greg at SAI penrose to give an approximate dollar figure

I'd imagine that those 303's would be 1200 or 1400 bucks. I think a few on TM sold for that much. They have shot up in value ever since 2019

Best guesstimates (based on descriptions given) as follows;
    Martini-Henry complete with accessories as pictured $1400-1750.
    No4 .303 and bayonet $900-1000.
    SMLE No1 Mk III and bayonet $1000-1200.

Shit you've got a muzzle cover for the martini, oil bottle and what looks to be a sergeants tool as well.

Guys, many thanks for taking the effort to comment and advice.

I took the rifles apart and gave them a once-over with BLO, rag and elbow grease. Thats why they look great and provided me with the opportunity to completely inspect them (below the wood-line) and comment on their condition. I can't fully comment on the MH as its a completely foreign system to me. I will take the indicative pricing advice here and send it back to the owner. Thanks.