Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What LED Flashlight and mount is is best for night shooting ?

What LED Flashlight and mount is is best for night shooting ?

I am looking at purchasing an LED flashlight & mount to fit on my Ruger 10/22 for shooting rabbits at night. I have a Magpul X22 stock on the 10/22, and was hoping to find an M Lok fitting to fit the light to the side of the stock, but no one seems to have this fitting in NZ, I also seen mounts that fit the light to the scope, and a bewildering array of different brands of lights.
    Any one have any experience with LED Lenser P7.2, Sure Fire, Nitecore, Fenix, ultrafire, trustfire or others, I need suggestions on what to buy, that is reliable, not too heavy, and gives a good light with reasonable battery life.

A lot of guys here, myself included will say Maxtoch. search the site for all the info you will ever need.

The torches and all array of mounts can be sourced through Aliexpress

Warm Barrels!

MB
    I just sold a Nitecore SRT6 on this forum. A bloody awesome little torch. Lighter/more compact than a Maxtoch and takes 1 x 18650 battery. Having said that, the Maxtoch is a good torch and more powerful. I just don't think you need the extra power for typical .22 shooting.

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar
    What are these like compared next to the maxtoch @300_BLK ? mount looks pretty good also, do you use it on the scope?
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser

Never used a Maxtoch @burtonator.

Very bright, you can shoot centrefires at 300m at night on full or dial it back for rabbits / rimfire.

Polymer horseshoe grabs the torch and the magnet will go on anything metal, I put it under the barrel. The magnet is really strong.

Batteries are rechargeable and last ages....
    Warm Barrels!

Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyw View Post
    I am looking at purchasing an LED flashlight & mount to fit on my Ruger 10/22 for shooting rabbits at night. I have a Magpul X22 stock on the 10/22, and was hoping to find an M Lok fitting to fit the light to the side of the stock, but no one seems to have this fitting in NZ, I also seen mounts that fit the light to the scope, and a bewildering array of different brands of lights.
    Any one have any experience with LED Lenser P7.2, Sure Fire, Nitecore, Fenix, ultrafire, trustfire or others, I need suggestions on what to buy, that is reliable, not too heavy, and gives a good light with reasonable battery life.
    Yeah the Led Lenser p7 is the ticket, recharges by connecting it to the usb on your computer. I walk around with it on the middle setting then click it through to full power when about to shoot,I have it on the 1st setting when walking to the next gate. I use a head lamp when taking the back straps off the rabbit and turn the spot light back on again when ready to shoot again. I get around 4 hours with doing it this way which I find is enough as you start to get buggered by then.
    Hope that helps and as always it pays to pay for good quality rather than going cheap and regretting it.

Cheers
    When hunting think safety first

And it has a neat little attachment which fits onto your scope and it's very light
    When hunting think safety first

Purveyor of Fine Cutlery terryf's Avatar
    The key question you need to ask is what features are must haves in the torch setup you want. From there the choices become pretty easy.

I have some Nitecores on my site that will fit the bill along with a scope mount.
    The SRT7GT also has UV for blood trails along with red, blue and green LEDs. MH27UV may also work for you.

The Nitecores also have an optional pressure switch allowing for activation from the side of the rifle with your support hand.

Nitecore does a magnetic mount but I don't have any in stock. I do have the GM02 which fits a picatinny rail and the GM01 which is a scope mount to attach the torch to the scope.

Or have a look at the hunting kits

You can also look at Olight, very good little torches with similar types of mounts etc.
    Surefire also make good torches as do LEDlenser but they're a bit more pricey.
    Regards
    Terry

https://www.knives4africa.co.nz/
    Custom knife dealer

Authorised Nitecore Torch Retailer
    NZ Distributor of Nano-Oil

I have a range of torches (including a couple of Maxitorches) but have now changed over to the Nitecore P30.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LED-...575a4c4d6U8YCu
    Its as good as the Maxitorch in real world hunting but much smaller and lighter. Will illuminate rabbits and possums further out than you can shoot them off hand, has a single push on/off button on the back, and the power change button on the front of the light. Therefore you can set the power output on the front button, and then use the on/off. It has a turbo output, but this requires the Nitecore special battery. Not worth it in my opinion.

I use the Nitecore mount https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NITE...575a4c4d6U8YCu and the Nitecore battery storage https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...575a4c4d6U8YCu

I personally prefer the torch mounted under barrel rather than on the scope. I mount a small section of rail onto the fore end of the stock. If necessary, I router a flat section on the fore end parallel with the barrel so that the centre of the spot is dead centre with the scope sight picture. You can also used one of the clamp on barrel rail thingys.
    I use a LED head lamp with the 4x 18650 battery packs for spotting and then the Nitecore on the gun for shooting. Keeps your hand free for gun control (the way its supposed to be)

All I use is one of these 100% Authentic 6000 Lumens 5 Mode CREE XM L T6 LED Flashlight Zoomable Focus Torch Camping Flashlight by 1*18650 or 3*AAA-in LED Flashlights from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group , it gives a good light to 70 metres and using AAA it's not worth charging batteries . Attach it to the scope in reach of your finger and Bobs your uncle .

I would suggest you go straight to the 2X. We specifically designed them for NZ hunting conditions as an all-purpose hunter, and they offer huge performance, plus value. They are designed to be light at just 400gms including batts - that's 0.9lb addition to a 22 or other rifle - and that's no problem. We have shot thousands of bunnies with them on rimfires and centrefires and weight has never been an issue. Not once. Nitecore and Armytek make some good stuff, but don't perform anywhere near on a par with the Maxtoch 2X. Company product stats show the Nitecore P30 produces max 95,000 lux, and the Armytek 150,000. The 2X produces 363,000 lux on high, 270,000 on medium, and (just tested mine on meter few minutes ago to find it reads) 122,000 lux on low beam. Gadgetman uses low beam at times for bunnies..

This extreme performance means the Maxtoch gives you versatility in range from 0 to 1200+ meters - and that covers not only bunnies, but all longer distance night shooting you'll do in NZ for bigger animals. If you are out night shooting and come on some reds/fallow at 2-400m - you WILL want the extra light power.

Good lights are expensive and you may only want to buy one top line setup. Little Nitecore P30 and Armytek will cost you $170-200NZ at a guess. A new 2X is about $137NZ - quite a bit cheaper - and gadgetman services any that need it. These Maxtochs are designed to be all-purpose hunters - combining beam width plus long range hotspot, and can be quickly weapon mounted using Maxtochs quick release mounts, or used as a handheld spottie.

By all means buy another if you wish but the Maxtoch is well beyond the others in performance. Having tested heaps of other lights, we designed Maxtochs as ideal setup for the full range of hunting conditions you are going to meet. Here's the 2X link - scan through the orders and you'll see how strongly they sell to kiwi hunters:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MAXT...661379568.html
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    I would suggest you go straight to the 2X. We specifically designed them for NZ hunting conditions as an all-purpose hunter, and they offer huge performance, plus value. They are designed to be light at just 400gms including batts - that's 0.9lb addition to a 22 or other rifle - and that's no problem. We have shot thousands of bunnies with them on rimfires and centrefires and weight has never been an issue. Not once. Nitecore and Armytek make some good stuff, but don't perform anywhere near on a par with the Maxtoch 2X. Company product stats show the Nitecore P30 produces max 95,000 lux, and the Armytek 150,000. The 2X produces 363,000 lux on high, 270,000 on medium, and (just tested mine on meter few minutes ago to find it reads) 122,000 lux on low beam. Gadgetman uses low beam at times for bunnies..

This extreme performance means the Maxtoch gives you versatility in range from 0 to 1200+ meters - and that covers not only bunnies, but all longer distance night shooting you'll do in NZ for bigger animals. If you are out night shooting and come on some reds/fallow at 2-400m - you WILL want the extra light power.

Good lights are expensive and you may only want to buy one top line setup. Little Nitecore P30 and Armytek will cost you $170-200NZ at a guess. A new 2X is about $137NZ - quite a bit cheaper - and gadgetman services any that need it. These Maxtochs are designed to be all-purpose hunters - combining beam width plus long range hotspot, and can be quickly weapon mounted using Maxtochs quick release mounts, or used as a handheld spottie.

By all means buy another if you wish but the Maxtoch is well beyond the others in performance. Having tested heaps of other lights, we designed Maxtochs as ideal setup for the full range of hunting conditions you are going to meet. Here's the 2X link - scan through the orders and you'll see how strongly they sell to kiwi hunters:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MAXT...661379568.html
    Nitecore P30 is $53 US on Ali express.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Thanks guys, that's given me a lot of good info.

What is de -doming, I presume its making the light more powerful, but does it compromise reliability ?