Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By ZQLewis
  • 2 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By ZQLewis
  • 1 Post By Shearer
  • 1 Post By ariki
  • 1 Post By Ftx325
  • 1 Post By Mathias

Thread: What Personal Locator Beacon to buy? What you using?

What Personal Locator Beacon to buy? What you using?

Hey guys,

Just looking for a PLB to use in the bush and on the boat, I would like something small enough to go onto a small pouch on my inflatable life jacket and also use it on my hunting belt setup (one of those twin needle webbing rigs).

The KTI looks maybe a bit too big for what I am wanting in comparison to the others - and I have read they have shut up operations and some other European company is taking over and it will be a while before they are up and running.

So it seems to be down to three compact PLB's that I could see on the market- the two ACR Resqlink's - the PLB 400 which is $459 and the PLB425 which is $549 (I think the PLB425 is just a PLB400 with a digital display?) and the Ocean Signal Rescue Me which seems like a fairly cheap unit and has a longer battery life (7 years vs 5 for the ACR Resqlinks). The only thing I don't like on the Ocean Signal is that it does not float - however I think it comes with a pouch that floats.

Are there any brands I have missed?

Any opinions on the ACR vs Ocean Signal PLB's?

Cheers

I carry a ACR PLB-375, I think that model has been superseded now. It came with a compact first aid kit which is handy to keep in the pack.

Is it any good? Dunno, never used it, but I sure hope so.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

I've used the Ocean Signal for a number of years.
    Great in that it's small enough to go in a sleeve or chest pocket rather than stay in your pack. So it's always on you for that case when you walk 20 meters away from your pack to get some water or cut up an animal and slip and break a leg etc.

Only down side is that it has to say in the neoprene pouch they are sold with if you want it to float.
    Z
    MB and 308mate like this.

MB
    I've got a McMurdo. Seemed like a solid brand. It comes tramping, hunting, fishing and diving (in a waterproof canister), so good value. It's hard to authoritatively recommend a PLB because so few of us have actually had to activate one.
    ZQLewis and 308mate like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I've got a McMurdo. Seemed like a solid brand. It comes tramping, hunting, fishing and diving (in a waterproof canister), so good value. It's hard to authoritatively recommend a PLB because so few of us have actually had to activate one.
    Hehe
    Guess if it's no good we are not going to be here to tell you that it's useless.
    Z
    MB likes this.

I have a Ocean Signal. I got it mainly because of it's small size. I take it on my motorbike, MTB, hunting, tramping, fishing so it has had a lot of hours being carried around. The battery needs replacing in a couple of months which costs about $250. Cheap insurance for seven years I guess.
    It has a test function that you are supposed to activate periodically to make sure it is still working. I haven't had to use it in anger yet I am pleased to say.
    308mate likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

We were supplied the Ocean Signal for our jobs approx 500 units and I do know that on 5 occasions plb’s used two units did not actually operate. Both units had battery’s that were in date range but unit failed because of rough storage and use. We typically had on belts on radio pouches. My units on farm were really worn after two years.
    canross likes this.

I have a KTI but of course no longer available. I went for this one due to the 10 year battery and it was also cheaper than the rest at the time. It is attached to my hunting belt that when not being worn for hunting lives in my truck hooked over the headrest so that even if driving around it is with me.

I just got the acr plb 400 a few weeks back .
    Seems simple to use and light/small.
    The 425 is as you say the same unit with a display which seemed unnecessary .
    If you haven't seen one in the flesh I can post a pic to give you an idea of size ....
    308mate likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    ACR, on second battery now. Cant comment on performance and hope I never have to use it
    Mr Browning likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    I just got the acr plb 400 a few weeks back .
    Seems simple to use and light/small.
    The 425 is as you say the same unit with a display which seemed unnecessary .
    If you haven't seen one in the flesh I can post a pic to give you an idea of size ....
    Did you have to register it at https://beacons.org.nz/ ?
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Yep
    born to hunt - forced to work

Cheers guys for the input guys I am leaning towards the Ocean Signal having seen the size of them.