Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What sort of accuracy are you getting from a factory Rem700 barrel???

What sort of accuracy are you getting from a factory Rem700 barrel???

Hi,

I was just wondering if people out there are getting good results with factory sporter rem700 barrels?

I'm putting together another rifle at the mo from a pile of parts. In this ''box of bits'' is an unfired factory barrel in 7mmRem mag, which I wasn't going to use (I made this decision without shooting it). It occurred to me that potentially the barrel could be a shooter and I'd never know? However I don't want to spend money fitting it and bedding etc to find out its a dud! My thoughts are, that money may as well go towards doing it right first time?

Is it foolish to think a factory rem700 sporter barrel won’t deliver good results? Or is it just a fact of life that factory barrels aren't up to delivering consistent (no POI change) and accurate shots like a target barrel will?

Your thoughts?

kj

I've only just got it, but a 2nd-hand bog-standard Rem700 SPS I picked up in .223 was straight on the money, 5-shot group into 22mm at 110yards, including one shot where I knew I didn't do my part. 17mm with the crook one excluded. Definitely potential for it to tighten the groups further.

I don't know if that's acceptable accuracy for you, but I was fairly happy with it.
    I also can't comment as to longterm accuracy, or in comparison with a target barrel, but that's just my experience of the remington.

I get around 1.2 inch groups at 200m from mine. generalist hand load, Browning boss system fitted, factory barrel. 7rem mag mod 700
    I do weigh every powder throw tho. 150 gr ballistic tips
    I am considering refitting a rem take off barrel when this one gets tired. give mitch maxberry a call I had an interesting convo with him about rem barrels and he knows his shit.

R93
    Before i went too my current set up I have had mainly rem 700 shooters. Some of the factory barrels were excellent. You will never know unless you try it KJ.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    I have 3 factory Rem barrels
    No sporters but... the SF2 Sendero in 300 RUM will shoot under 1/2", SF1 Sendero in 308 will shoot under 1/4", and the Tactical in 223 will go 1/2.
    Huge jumps to lands in all barrels (308 is over 6mm) but they all shoot sweet.
    The 308 and 223 were lapped with Autosol before use and I think it makes a difference

I'll get under a inch at 100m if I do my part with a shortened 20" 7mm08 700sps. I also weigh each and every powder charge within 0.1 grains.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I have a stock standard Rem 700 in 270. I am not a target shooter so have primarily only used it hunting but checking the zero down the back of the farm it would knock the nuts of a gnat at 100 metres.

I have a factory barrel on my SAUM and with VLD's it does nice tight groups.

I had a 7-08 that would doe 1/2-3/4 with factory PMC loads and not bedded at all... mate has it now and its still shoots but with reloads now.

A 22-250 I loaded for was a very tight shooter as well so I would try the barrel for sure

out of all the Rems I owned only one didn't shoot but when it got another barrel it turned in to a tight shooter (No other work to the action just slapped a used 308 barrel on and reamed it to 300WSM)
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Both my current 7mm-375 & 30-375 Rugers are showing great promise, shooting sub moa with only initial loads in very new calibres, new factory 700 SPSS barrels.

I would say go for it, the stock on the Rem 700s probably has a lot to do with accuracy ?

It's been a long time since I have heard of a gun on here that does over 1 MOA with factory ammo I guess they just don't make inaccurate guns now.
    Im2lazy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    It's been a long time since I have heard of a gun on here that does over 1 MOA with factory ammo I guess they just don't make inaccurate guns now.
    Lol, it's just that guys are better shots now & can't measure stuff as well as they used to

Here's what my new Rem 7mm Mag is up to with limited load development so far with 162 Amax although I have replaced the firing pin and bolt shroud with lightweight one,fluted the bolt plus had the trigger lightened

I won the hunter class benchrest NZDA shoot with mine.
    Hardly a real shooting comp, but the Rem put 5 shots in under an inch.

Definitely give it a go. You might save yourself the cost of a new barrel.

my blue SPS in 243 is just over an inch, factory loads. Barrel temp plays a huge part though.

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    my blue SPS in 243 is just over an inch, factory loads. Barrel temp plays a huge part though.
    Yeah I'm running an overbarrel sup on mine. It heats it up real hot after about 5-10 shots and the groups open up.