Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: What Would You Expect?

What Would You Expect?

Hey guys and girls,

I'm interested in your thoughts on what accuracy I should expect from my new bush bushpig. It is a Kimber 84 chambered in 7-08 with a 14" barrel and DPT suppressor. I took it to the range yesterday to zero and couldn't get repeatable groups.
    I was shooting factory Hornady Superformance 139gn rounds doing about 2850fps over the chrony.

I was worried something might be loose so cranked up the screws on the Talleys and one of the screw heads snapped off! As a result I'm not too concerned with the performance I saw yesterday as it could well be the scope jumping around a bit thats causing the issue but it leads me to wonder what type of accuracy I should be looking for.

I am planning on doing my own loading and trying to get something to shoot well but wondering what you reckon I will be limited to noting the fact it's a light rifle with a short barrel? I can shoot well and know my loading is on point (put three rounds in the same hole at 100m with the rem mag yesterday).

Also any ideas on the way ahead with the stuffed rings? Guess I take it to a gunsmith to drill out the broken screw and find a replacement?
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    Hey guys and girls,

I'm interested in your thoughts on what accuracy I should expect from my new bush bushpig. It is a Kimber 84 chambered in 7-08 with a 14" barrel and DPT suppressor. I took it to the range yesterday to zero and couldn't get repeatable groups.
    I was shooting factory Hornady Superformance 139gn rounds doing about 2850fps over the chrony.

I was worried something might be loose so cranked up the screws on the Talleys and one of the screw heads snapped off! As a result I'm not too concerned with the performance I saw yesterday as it could well be the scope jumping around a bit thats causing the issue but it leads me to wonder what type of accuracy I should be looking for.

I am planning on doing my own loading and trying to get something to shoot well but wondering what you reckon I will be limited to noting the fact it's a light rifle with a short barrel? I can shoot well and know my loading is on point (put three rounds in the same hole at 100m with the rem mag yesterday).

Also any ideas on the way ahead with the stuffed rings? Guess I take it to a gunsmith to drill out the broken screw and find a replacement?
    I can see you have 2 major problems.
    1. 7mm-08
    2. Kimber.
    I would expect 4-6" groups at 50m
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

What Would You Expect?

On your last question as long as you can take apart the rings the screw should just wind out using a scriber or something else pointed.
    My Kimber shot about moa sometimes a bit over.
    I'd think once some reloading was developed you might expect consistent moa which I'd be happy as with for that rig. Must be a delight in the scrub, I'm jealous as!! So is @Shearer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shearer likes this.
    Dan M

What Would You Expect?

Photos!!! And a photo of some groups as well for good measure.
    Dan M

Id be upset with any premium brand that wouldnt shoot 5 into a inch @100y with factory ammo it likes.
    Short barrel and muffeler should aid not hinder accuracy.
    Superformace doesnt go well in some rifles try a few other brands and weights of ammo.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

There seems to be a lot of trouble with kimbers that don't shoot, if it's new maybe try exchange it for another
    Daggers_187 and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    There seems to be a lot of trouble with kimbers that don't shoot, if it's new maybe try exchange it for another
    There is a lot of information on the net on this exact topic which is reason alone why many would just consider 1-2 moa to be acceptable and say and do nothing more. I wouldn't.
    Whatever the group sizes are now reloading and trying different pills should halve them, whether that will make them 0.5" or 3" groups who knows.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Photos!!! And a photo of some groups as well for good measure.
    Here it is...

Didn't take any photos of this one's groups but here's my best rem mag one from yesterday

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Hunt4life and Danny like this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Not sure they will take it back when he's lopped half the barrel off
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

With a little light rifle you won't use beyond 300 yards or so, spoil yourself and take the pressure off by trying 2 shot groups. 2 shots nearly touching is all you need, Trying to shoot consistent 3 and 5 shot groups with a little rifle can be soul destroying.
    Freezer, GWH, mikee and 5 others like this.

Check bedding
    Check screws
    Check barrel clearance
    Check suppressor
    Use ear muffs
    Use a good consistent rest.
    Blaser and Rich007 like this.

I read somewhere on the net that when Kimber test their rifles for accuracy, they'll normally wait a good 4-5 minutes between shots to allow the thin barrels to cool down. That, plus the fact that you've shortened the barrel, and put on a suppressor...the barrel will heat up even quicker. Not to mention the weight of the rifle. Apparently the ultralights require different technique to a heavier/longer barreled rifle.

The piss takes aside, I am not a big fan of Kimbers but saying that I would expect 1.5 inchs at 100 as the starting point. If it were mine I would try a brand that's a bit slower down the short barrel, must stabilize better.
    It's not a cheap exercise to play with ammo brands but sometimes it 's worth it. Corelocks or Federal might be worth a crack but I would def try something slower first then bullet weight.

Yea I won't lay on the Kimber ribbing as we all know that old story.

1. Fire the group's off grass if using a bipod not concrete or hard surface
    2. Make sure action screws are tight but importantly make sure the rifle is sitting in the stock correctly!
    3. When shooting: light to medium pressure pulling the rifle in to shoulder and light to medium pressure with hand on top of scope objective pushing down
    4. Don't squeeze the grip too hard (trick to shooting light rifles)

When shooting the rifle it shouldn't jump off target and end up pointing 3 feet to the left/right of your point of aim, if it's doing that work on your "natural aim".

If the scope is known to be good then there isn't anything else that will cause bad groups at 100m on a modern rifle, short of a bad crown or baffel strike but I doubt those two are the culprit.

1.5 moa should be achievable cold bore

MSL
    mine shoots like this pretty easily over a daypack. Shoots shit off a bipod. I need to hold the front end firmly otherwise it won't group, too light I guess.
    Micky Duck likes this.