Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

What would you go for?

Hi Team
    Looking at maybe getting a bigger boomer for a bit of long range steel smaking and goat molestation. 1000-2000 yards
    Thinkin a Sendaro in either 7mm Mag,7mmRUM or 300RUM and fitting it with one of Kiwi Gregs Brakes. Leaning towards 7mmRum.
    What you think of my choices palefaces

Muz

Quote Originally Posted by muzr257 View Post
    Hi Team
    Looking at maybe getting a bigger boomer for a bit of long range steel smaking and goat molestation. 1000-2000 yards
    Thinkin a Sendaro in either 7mm Mag,7mmRUM or 300RUM and fitting it with one of Kiwi Gregs Brakes. Leaning towards 7mmRum.
    What you think of my choices palefaces

Muz
    I will put my Greg hat on & say I have a 7mm Rum Sendero at Robbies at the moment getting a T3 Terminator brake fitted.
    It shoots the 180 hybrid well at 3150 ish IIRC & will be for sale as soon as it gets back.
    But if you really want to shoot 1-2000 you would be hard pressed to beat a 338 Edge for volume shooting

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    I will put my Greg hat on & say I have a 7mm Rum Sendero at Robbies at the moment getting a T3 Terminator brake fitted.
    It shoots the 180 hybrid well at 3150 ish IIRC & will be for sale as soon as it gets back.
    But if you really want to shoot 1000-2000yrds you would be hard pressed to beat a 338 Edge for volume shooting
    Yes 338 Edge for 1000 - 2000yrds. End of story, goodnight nurse.

You have the option to buy Gregs 7mm rum, you have his word that it shoots the 180 grainers, you can have a play, learn a lot, then later consider putting a 338 tube on it.
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 16-02-2012 at 11:07 AM.

338 Edge, lapua, or norma will do everything youd ever need and more.

I decided it was too much, so backed the plans back a tad.

Or put your KG hat on and get a 50 faxmax or similar

Chris

Hijack:

For a beginner LR shooter, whats the best (subjective I know) caliber to learn to shoot out to say 1000 yards (max)? I'm thinking a sendero or some sort of howa in either 308, or a magnum... Also what mag scope should I be looking at? 16x @ 400 m is pretty hard for me to see properly.I was thinking 20x with a 50mm objective

While a 308 will do it nearly anything else would be better! A 7mmmag would be much better and there is plenty of em around
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

If you are serious about past 1K 338 will out the the 7mm RUMbarrel many times over. 7mm will fry the barrel quicker than the 300RUM as well... I guess if you went 7mm RUM you have the excuse earlier ti go 338 as the barrel went west earler

Some nice high BC 30 cal pills (for the 300RUM)now and with a good brake you will no notice any more recoil and it will give and it will give you longer to get the 338 bits together and easyier to neck the 300 brass up to 338 later (well the brass that still has life)
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

"You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by Brennos View Post
    Hijack:

For a beginner LR shooter, whats the best (subjective I know) caliber to learn to shoot out to say 1000 yards (max)? I'm thinking a sendero or some sort of howa in either 308, or a magnum... Also what mag scope should I be looking at? 16x @ 400 m is pretty hard for me to see properly.I was thinking 20x with a 50mm objective
    7 rem mag, handloads, and a scope that dials well would be perfect, but any caliber 243 and above is fine.

I have ran a nikon 4-14x44 out to 1200y, works perfect. 16x at 400m is ridiculous, unless your shooting benchrest

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Brennos View Post
    Hijack:
    Also what mag scope should I be looking at? 16x @ 400 m is pretty hard for me to see properly.I was thinking 20x with a 50mm objective
    if a 16x scope at 400m is hard then a trip to the optometrist may be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    if a 16x scope at 400m is hard then a trip to the optometrist may be in order.
    Or the scope is not set right.... or is a POS
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good