Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What is your gong set up like? size/type/distance etc

What is your gong set up like? size/type/distance etc

How does everyone hang there gongs? Just some wire through a couple of holes at the top attached to a couple of waratahs?

I have 3 of neckshots place but havent had a chance to shoot them up yet, ps if you get more im keen!

Is stainless plate hard enough to handle big guns? I know bisalloy is ideal but looking at what else is out there

What size targets are you using and for what distances

Cheers guys

Banned
    Chain and two Warahtahs for me.The plate you have is 450 wear plate between that and bizz your only other option is 25mm or thicker mild steel but it dosnt ping that well IMO.as you want feed back from the plate especially if you use a lighter call as they wont move the plate as much so noise is important I think.For me personaly we have our plates in a position were we can shoot them from 100 right back to 500 yds without moving the plate.Walk around with a rangefinder and find the spots you want to set up in and your away mate.Keep me posted .
    PerazziSC3 likes this.

Ok thanks neckshot, currently shooting out to 1000 on the deck at home but only had shit steel or put up mdf board ect, and go move it when i want to shoot a different distance which is PITA. could go further with the new gun hopefully but range finder wont be up to it yet.

Thinking of permanent gong locations in between, where i shoot to get to 1000 you shoot over two gullys so wind is always changing and i have about 100degrees of shootable locations without moving so will give a variety of winds

Would be keen on a couple more 8x8's and a couple more 6x6's and if you do anything bigger like a 12x12 i will get a couple of them two mate

Cheers for the advice

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Ok thanks neckshot, currently shooting out to 1000 on the deck at home but only had shit steel or put up mdf board ect, and go move it when i want to shoot a different distance which is PITA. could go further with the new gun hopefully but range finder wont be up to it yet.

Thinking of permanent gong locations in between, where i shoot to get to 1000 you shoot over two gullys so wind is always changing and i have about 100degrees of shootable locations without moving so will give a variety of winds

Would be keen on a couple more 8x8's and a couple more 6x6's and if you do anything bigger like a 12x12 i will get a couple of them two mate

Cheers for the advice
    Yea if I do get some bigger bits your on the list.Awsome idea for wind shooting practice mate nice one.And shooting 8x8 will sharpen you right up.good luck.

Iv got a bunch of 20mm 12 inch rounds that work well
    Im in welly

Hi chrome i think i talked to you about plates earlier in the year, will definetely be in contact again and hopefully organise something

Cheers for the advice
    That sounds a lot like what we have mate, I have 4 gongs furthest is 1400, nearest is 330, all shot from the one position, all up high across gullys with wind keeping us honest.
    Gongs are 20ml biz hung by wire from warratahs they gong very well hit buy anything at any range.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I have eight gongs made of hardox 450. They are all circular in shape and hung with chain from Waratah standards. Two are 10cm diameter four are 15cm diameter and two are 20 cm diameter. They are spread out over my property and can be shot at from multiple points with range between 220 up to 900.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    That sounds a lot like what we have mate, I have 4 gongs furthest is 1400, nearest is 330, all shot from the one position, all up high across gullys with wind keeping us honest.
    The only time we move is when we want to shoot further than 1400,
    Next hill over the gongs start at 2000.
    Gongs are 20ml biz hung by wire from warratahs they gong very well hit buy anything at any range.
    My gongs are rather on the large side as I find it easier to use in all conditions
    to get good at reading wind.
    Also very good for building confidence in people who have never shot long range,

What size gongs mate? yep sounds similiar to what i have

L.R
    I agree with you brads. I'd rather have them bigger to see a hit if you are a bit off for whatever reason. You can see groups form in the middle of the gong if its freshly painted. Also I hang the gong off strips of conveyor belt so it can't get shot out like chain can.
    BRADS likes this.

What size gongs mate? yep sounds similiar to what i have
    I'm not sure mate there bloody heavy all the same size here's cams gun in front of the 1060 yard gong
    I'll measure them latter for you.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378083309.402670.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  112.5 KB
    PerazziSC3 likes this.

Banned
    I'm not sure mate there bloody heavy all the same size here's cams gun in front of the 1060 yard gong
    I'll measure them latter for you.
    Attachment 13989
    holy shit!!!!!!! that's big That must be your 1400 plate.Id need to weld a few of mine together

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    holy shit!!!!!!! that's big
    Don't call him stallion for nothing......
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    holy shit!!!!!!! that's big That must be your 1400 plate.Id need to weld a few of mine together
    Na mate thats 1060, they are all the same size, but as you can see they get hit in the right place
    Black is saucer size.
    Its not about the size of the target for me it's about where you can hit it and in what conditions you can do it.
    Pretty hard to see what's happing in the wind at 1000+ with a saucer sized gong
    Just my opinion thow .
    Callum likes this.