Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Solo
  • 1 Post By zimmer

Thread: Whats the deal with these 10/22 stocks?

Whats the deal with these 10/22 stocks?

https://www.guncity.com/outdoor-outf...e-stock-240514

https://www.guncity.com/laminated-ev...e-stock-240500

Literally the same stock but different brand and 50 bucks cheaper, whats the catch?

Different colour.... No idea seems s upid but hey its gun city I'm sure they have a justifiable reason somewhere

different manufacturer. outdoor outfitters is a clone version

Hard to completely visualise because the photos are at different angles but is the clone a fraction shorter in the fore end than the Boyds?

As for choosing I would have a good look at them in the flesh. "Drop in" can sometimes turn out to not quite be that. My Boyds for my Marlin required a wee bit of titivating.

I would tend to go Boyds but 50 bucks is significant.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Hard to completely visualise because the photos are at different angles but is the clone a fraction shorter in the fore end than the Boyds?

As for choosing I would have a good look at them in the flesh. "Drop in" can sometimes turn out to not quite be that. My Boyds for my Marlin required a wee bit of titivating.

I would tend to go Boyds but 50 bucks is significant.
    $50 is not significant. The fact they want either side of $400 for them is significant. They used to be under the US $100 and would land here about $200, but I see that the US price has risen $30 and the exchange rate has dropped but its still not a cheap stock. For that money I would make my own and be done with it...Done it once...but not for a ruger. (For a Norinco EM 332....)

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    $50 is not significant. The fact they want either side of $400 for them is significant. They used to be under the US $100 and would land here about $200, but I see that the US price has risen $30 and the exchange rate has dropped but its still not a cheap stock. For that money I would make my own and be done with it...Done it once...but not for a ruger. (For a Norinco EM 332....)
    Yeah my Marlin one was < US$100 and landed for ~NZ&210-220 at a time when the xchange rate was less favourable than today. Wish I had stocked up on a few others.

You guys know anyone importing them in? As much as I want it, don't really wanna spend 450 on it, cause that's how much I got the rifle for.

I imported the stock for my m305 from the USA. Just used YouShop, tagged it as Sports and Outdoors, no drama with customs or anything. But it was under 100 USD, which I think is where the trouble starts.
    JasonW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    I imported the stock for my m305 from the USA. Just used YouShop, tagged it as Sports and Outdoors, no drama with customs or anything. But it was under 100 USD, which I think is where the trouble starts.
    Must have been a while ago? All my parcels in the last 18 months or so have been opened and inspected by them, including the containing a small certified test weight (to check scales used for weighing gemstones, gold) in it which they declared as not being able to on ship and would I like the item destroyed or would I like to supply an address in USA to which it could be returned at my cost. And please answer our question by a deadline. It was like extracting teeth over multiple emails - when pressed they stated the reason for non shipping as "dangerous goods". Further pressing got to "firearms parts". WTF. Took me three weeks to get them to agree it wasn't dangerous goods/firearms parts and send it.

Several years ago I had scopes, reloading dies, the works, come thru them.

I would not recommend anyone chancing their luck with them nowadays though.

The outfit is a company providing the service to NZP with seemingly no firearms experienced personal working there. Their approach, if they don't understand the parcel contents seems to be to use the "dangerous goods" card.
    6x47 likes this.

It was a couple of weeks ago. Seems I got lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    It was a couple of weeks ago. Seems I got lucky?
    Very, well done. Maybe half the staff were on siesta?