Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Who Is Using 350 Legend ?

Who Is Using 350 Legend ?

Any one using the 350 Legend, if so what in & on what, results so far ?

I was going to build a 358 on a blown out straight 223Rem on one of my Sako small actions for a nice light 7 shot do most things, easy carry rifle, like a truck gun, maybe fast twist to shoot 300gr subs, after reading how effective (near same as 35 Rem & bullets that work at that velocity) the 357 Maximum was in a rifle, just never got around to it & then chap did 357AR not long after that Winchester released the strange specification 350 Legend .

Probably easier and cheaper to buy a 450 bushmaster Ruger that uses AR mags. You can get 45 cal gmx which aren't the usual bricks that 45 cal is.

Not really, may as well have proper/full size rifle than 450Bushmaster, in Mini Mauser or small Sako (& Sako can hold 7 rounds) it would be good I think, that big AR type mag could also work for some people & with a different job in mind, the 350 Legend can use that type of mag also & hold more still I presume but that is not the main thing I had in mind .

Was really after info from guys who have used the .350 Legend, if any lol !

From what I understand, the only real thing that the 350 legend has going for it is that it can be used for hunting in US states that only permit hunting with straight walled cartridges.
    veitnamcam, Carbine, mikee and 6 others like this.

It's a rehash of the 35 winchester self loading, described by Frank Barnes as possibly the most useless cartridge ever produced that faded away in the 30s.
    As Chris W said it was resurrected as a way to market to the people who needed a "new" cartridge in order to hunt in straight wall states.
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and ChrisW like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    Not really, may as well have proper/full size rifle than 450Bushmaster, in Mini Mauser or small Sako (& Sako can hold 7 rounds) it would be good I think, that big AR type mag could also work for some people & with a different job in mind, the 350 Legend can use that type of mag also & hold more still I presume but that is not the main thing I had in mind .

Greetings Scout.
    I suspect that you may be waiting a while for someone using the .350 Legend. New cartridges need to fill some need, imaginary or not, to succeed. It may survive a while in the US where it provides an option for a straight wall case that will fit on an AR15 platform. Neither apply in NZ. Add to that an odd ball case and projectile diameter it gives no advantage over a bunch of other cases. I imagine its life will be short. A nice short carbine in .35 Rem would leave it for dead. Now that would be nice.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    shooternz and Ranger 888 like this.

Stop f-ing around @Scout and just get the 50 cal sub going !
    Why do a wissy 35 cal 300 grain sub when you can lob a 50 cal 750 grain or or more sub end for end through anything that walks on the land in NZ

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    Why do a wissy 35 cal 300 grain sub when you can lob a 50 cal 750 grain or or more sub end for end through anything that walks on the land in NZ
    Suggest because it more suits the small action he is trying to use.
    tetawa likes this.

No one is answering the question he asked.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    No one is answering the question he asked.
    No I dont use one

there you go Tommy...has been answered.

Thanks guys for the response, the cartridge I had in mind a Rimmless 357 Maximum is a lot more than the 35 Win SL & still more again than the 351 Win SL & on par with factory loaded 35 Rem, which has proven to work well on lots of game, not sure how close the 350Legends is to the Maximum but the Maximum punches way above its weight !

Pity Winchester made the Legend 9mm & changed case a little from 223Rem but I think that can be worked around to make it easier then the straight Wildcat, I have seen a few 350 Legend rifles for sale & sold so some one has them & might be using them ?

Yes @akaroa1 I must get that going to but that is for different work/play lol !
    csmiffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    big subs suck and are noisy, and all they do is go deeper and are substantially louder to the shooter.
    300blk is the obvious choice for a sako 223 based build, I really wanted a sako 85 but ended up building one off a Kimber montana instead
    I havent checked but im thinking you would struggle to fit a 35cal in a 223 without it bulging out the sides
    also a bottle neck is just far better for everything reloading, I seem to struggle with straight wall cartrages, crushing them and making pretty generally ugly bullets,

I have seen a few 350 Legend rifles for sale & sold so some one has them & might be using them ?
    They are probably too embarrassed to answer (-:
    Micky Duck, Ranger 888 and berg243 like this.

Nothing kills game better than a bigger slug, best way to add killing power to subsonic is to go up, the only louder part is the smack as it drops the animals !

I have had them all & shoot hundreds of animals, right now I have 300BLK in a Sako 75 & must say it is fantastic super sonic round & near any load goes in the same hole but no where near the killing effect in sub sonic of my 45/70 & 45Colt loads of 30yrs ago .

The 350 Legend is very near a blown out straight 223Rem & it is no problem to fit .35 cal in a 223 case !

@berg243, yes I think so, would take both & even the .35 - .358 of the 35Rem & in my research the 357 Maximum can use all the 35Rem bullets at the same velocity, there is great info on bullet performance on the Marlin site .

I suspect it would be Ok in the 350 Legend barrel but depends on the Chamber & throat, (can be fixed if not) as long as the case can release the bullets it will work, I shoot .458 out of .45 Colt barrel of .454 that was rechambered to 45/70 (not by me) & it has faster twist than the 45/70 barrels so should shoot even heavier slugs subsonic, & it does make a difference on game, as I had one 45/70 kill much better than another & could only conclude the bullet went unstable when penetrating the animal, even if both shot well on paper .

The Whisper/BLK is fine Supersonic but only marginal subsonic, I was going to do the 30/223 full case but not enough gain to make it worth while & none in Subs .
    Moa Hunter likes this.