Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dogmatix
  • 1 Post By timattalon

Thread: why can't I get a saiga 308?

why can't I get a saiga 308?

A year or so ago the local gun shop told me they were getting a new shipment of guns, with the probability of that shipment having saiga 308's semi auto's. It never happened. And the story was pretty much the same for every gun shop/supplier I found online.
    What happened? Have the rules been tightened? I could still buy svd's, tigr's or psl's if I had 3k+.
    How does the importing rules work for these suppliers. It seems they don't really know what they're getting until it arrives?
    Confused

I have an E-Cat .308 Molot Vepr for sale.

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...8-e-cat-30331/
    300CALMAN likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Ejected
    'merica put sanctions on Russia which stopped the import of these.

Thanks that makes sense. What are my options for a 308 (or similar) semi. Browning bar, m14/305, ar10, svd/tigr...
    Hang on a minute, why is everyone selling new saiga 7.62x39's then???

Thanks that makes sense. What are my options for a 308 (or similar) semi. Browning bar, m14/305, ar10, svd/tigr...
    Hang on a minute, why is everyone selling new saiga 7.62x39's then???

res
    The us restrictions has only been good for NZ trade with Russia. New 308 saigas have not been imported simply as importers have taken to long to sell past shipments
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    The us restrictions has only been good for NZ trade with Russia. New 308 saigas have not been imported simply as importers have taken to long to sell past shipments
    We imported some about 6 years ago and I am not sure I would believe an importer if they told me that. The 308 was the first calibre that we sold out of. Definitely the most popular....If we were ina position to import again then the 308 would likely make up most of our order.

As alternative I have a few Saiga M100s in 308. They come with a 3 shot magazine (possibly two but its been a while since I unpacked one to check). They are based on the Saiga but are modified at the factory to be more of a sporting rifle. Not as good as BARs but not as dear either at about $950 new from memory

They have
    Cross bolt (push button) safety
    Open sights with a 20 inch barrel
    3 round flush fit detachable magazines
    A different stock shape. This means they are NOT compatible with other Saiga accessories including magazines. Whther this can be altered I dont know for certain, but I expect it wont be easy.
    And the gas tubes are enclosed within the stock arrangement.
    Detachable ring type scope mount is also included and they are compatible with the Belarus type mounts with weaver rails.

Down side is they are not light, and not pretty, They are very reliable, and Russian......

Email me or PM me your email address and I can send photos if you like. I cannot do it right now as I dont have access to one at the moment but that will only take a few days.

Check out this link for a photo. The 4th one down, you will see the 100 series.....
    Saiga

res
    When I was selling saigas I sold 20 x39's v every 308. Different retailers have different markets as always I guess
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    When I was selling saigas I sold 20 x39's v every 308. Different retailers have different markets as always I guess
    We had a good source of 308 Barnaul that was not much more than the 7.62x39 ammo and it was soft point too which probably helped its popularity. The 223 took us much longer to sell. Ours was probably closer to 1 308 to every 2nd 7.62x39 but we did order four times as many x39s as we did not gauge how popular the 308s would be....

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    We imported some about 6 years ago and I am not sure I would believe an importer if they told me that. The 308 was the first calibre that we sold out of. Definitely the most popular....If we were ina position to import again then the 308 would likely make up most of our order.

As alternative I have a few Saiga M100s in 308. They come with a 3 shot magazine (possibly two but its been a while since I unpacked one to check). They are based on the Saiga but are modified at the factory to be more of a sporting rifle. Not as good as BARs but not as dear either at about $950 new from memory

They have
    Cross bolt (push button) safety
    Open sights with a 20 inch barrel
    3 round flush fit detachable magazines
    A different stock shape. This means they are NOT compatible with other Saiga accessories including magazines. Whther this can be altered I dont know for certain, but I expect it wont be easy.
    And the gas tubes are enclosed within the stock arrangement.
    Detachable ring type scope mount is also included and they are compatible with the Belarus type mounts with weaver rails.

Down side is they are not light, and not pretty, They are very reliable, and Russian......

Email me or PM me your email address and I can send photos if you like. I cannot do it right now as I dont have access to one at the moment but that will only take a few days.

Check out this link for a photo. The 4th one down, you will see the 100 series.....
    Saiga
    Have you ever thought of importing the second ones down? They look awesome. 4th down are to weird looking.

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    Have you ever thought of importing the second ones down? They look awesome. 4th down are to weird looking.
    +1 the 4th down are pretty fugly alright

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    +1 the 4th down are pretty fugly alright
    I did say they weren't pretty
    northdude likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    The top and second are the same except for the wooden furniture. From memory, I think they did them in7.62x54R as well but I could be wrong...

Unfortunately we wont be in a position to import these again for quite some time. We are still rebuilding the workshop after the quakes, and this involves fully stripping every bit of machinery down and cleaning rust and dust from all the nooks and crannys etc.