Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ultimitsu
  • 1 Post By Taff
  • 1 Post By Ultimitsu

Thread: Why did this scope cost so much?

MB

Why did this scope cost so much?

I bought one of these a few years ago:

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rimfi...9x33mm-rimfire

Based largely on this review (note I purchased the newer version):

https://www.chuckhawks.com/leupold_V...fire_scope.htm

I paid $817 from Outdoor Supplies for it. Price was the best in NZ at the time and in keeping with the advertised US price.

Having used the scope for a while, I've come to the conclusion that while reliable, it is very ordinary. No better than my VX-1. Thought I might sell it and wondered what it was worth. Found the original receipt and was shocked that I'd spent so much money on it!

Opinions/thoughts/abuse?

plurry lot of $$$$ for a rimfire scope....

MB
    Well, that is another discussion. I want a good scope on my rimfire, the targets are smaller!

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    1, it is an efr. all leuppy efr scopes are more expensive than non-efr, which are more expensive than non-ao.

2, this is a leuppy, so it has lifetime warranty, at the same time it is ultra light at 320gm. that makes it high risk from a warranty point of view, they have to charge you more to cover future warranty cost.

my vx2 6-18 is about the same design but with longer zoom while no efr. it was a bit more expensive. these days scope with comparable price are better featured. but tend to be heavier.
    Bagheera likes this.

Different lenses to the vx1, you most probably will not notice in normal light
    Bagheera likes this.

MB,

Hard to find a really good RF scope. I have one of these and a Weaver equivalent. The Weaver while cheaper is noticeably less clear/ bright. A bit cheaper though.

What did you find ordinary about it ?
    Ideally, a scope (and rifle) should be transparent to use. I mean, you are not aware of the scope itself, just yourself and the target and the bullet.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    1, it is an efr. all leuppy efr scopes are more expensive than non-efr, which are more expensive than non-ao.

2, this is a leuppy, so it has lifetime warranty, at the same time it is ultra light at 320gm. that makes it high risk from a warranty point of view, they have to charge you more to cover future warranty cost.

my vx2 6-18 is about the same design but with longer zoom while no efr. it was a bit more expensive. these days scope with comparable price are better featured. but tend to be heavier.
    Thanks. Good reply. I feel a little less ripped off now!

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Different lenses to the vx1, you most probably will not notice in normal light
    Im sure you’re right, but I do nearly all of my rabbit shooting at night with a torch, so the added value is probably lost on me.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    What did you find ordinary about it ?
    Ideally, a scope (and rifle) should be transparent to use. I mean, you are not aware of the scope itself, just yourself and the target and the bullet.
    And that too. When something works, we don’t tend to make a song and dance about it. When something doesn’t work, we make more noise. Ordinary in the sense that I don’t think it offers anything above my VX1, but as per my above post, I tend to only use it in torch light.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    i never used vx1 so i cannot say, but have a vx2 and vx3, and a bunch of other cheaper scopes. i can tell you this about image quality -

in close range ( ~100m) with good lighting, you will not easily detect snall difference in image quality, such as the case for vx1 vs vx2. even what you may preceive as one being brighter, is most likely a product of larger objective rather thsn glass quality. for 22lr shooting at night, where your light source is a modern powerful torch, it is going to be hard to appreciate image quality difference. a lot of my possum and rabbit shooting were done using cheap and light Hawke scope. it was always more than adequate for the job.

you will see image quality difference when you look further away. lesser quality glass tend to fall short when you focus at long distance.
    MB likes this.