Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Why have a suppressor?

Gone but not forgotten

Why have a suppressor?

Twenty years ago suppressors were common on .22lr rifles using subsonic ammo, but virtually unheard of on centre fires. Why are they so popular now? Is it to do with the not causing an annoyance to the public rules? I doubt it would be due to fashion, or for poaching. Maybe so the neighbours don't complain?
    And how quiet do they make a centre fire?

Cheers,
    Chris

P38
    Suppressor so do all of the above but also tames the recoil slightly and saves your hearing

Cheers
    Pete
    Blaser likes this.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

northdude
    ive got a mae can on a short barreled 223 its fukn loud without it and down to a hv 22lr with it on I still wear hearing protection if target shooting tho

My rifle shoots better with a suppresser, but mainly used for multiple shots and nicer to shoot with no plugs/muffs and not to harsh on the dog
    Blaser and Feather or Shoot like this.

For Me Personally , Improved my shooting Dramatically. A lot Less recoil & noise = no flinch .
    Pengy and Micky Duck like this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

More popular because more people are aware of how much sense it makes to look after your hearing, coupled with the local industry that has grown, providing us with options for all budgets and performance requirements.

Performance varies between makes and models and calibers, but you'll never get rid of the supersonic crack.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    keneff likes this.

No point of source noise. Projectile carries its cone of sound with it so the prey has no idea where it came from.
    When I'm varminting rabbits with the 22-250 it's nothing to make one explode and have one 5 m away still sunbathing. I set up once on one valley and quite often get 20 shots off.
    Also kills recoil, quiet enough to shoot without muffs and you shoot more.

Sent from my GT-I8190T using Tapatalk
    rossi.45 likes this.

It just make your shooting/ hunting a more pleasant experience. And it is particularly valuable when teaching shooting to the young generations.

The dog prefers I use the suppressor........................ cause the other option is just plain bloody ear ringly loud
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

If a shooter asks why have a suppressor, I'd guess they've never shot a rifle with one. Also more civilised for your shooting mate nearby

Also improved my shooting greatly. Tamed the recoil and in case's like using a 223 it also allows you to see bullet strike. Game is far less spooked also.
    Personally I wouldn't own a rifle of any caliber without a suppressor. It makes a great pass time even more enjoyable.
    Munsey and Feather or Shoot like this.

Banned
    As well as reasons above, I found a suppressor necessary for learning to shoot centrefire.
    I now only use it on the 270 when tops hunting though would use it on my bush guns if they were suitable cals to chop short.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Have a look at Thomas's example of how use of a suppressor helps not to disturb your shooting area. At least one good reason already mentioned. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ocIx_gXVi4

They look cool and its important you look cool.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

Gone But Not Forgotten
    What is that you say? Speak up will you?

That is why I have one on my .308. I can't get back what is gone, but I can do something about what little is left.