Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Winchester Model 1894

Winchester Model 1894

Hi guys,

I'm completely new to lever actions, so please go easy on me.

After something lightweight, trim, and relatively compact. The Win model 94 seems to tick those boxes.

Some questions:

Are the pre-64's better than the current manufactured guns (made in 2019)? I've done my research, but I'd like to hear some real world feedback.

How much would you pay for a pre-64 in good condition? There's one on TM at the moment for $1700 (starting price).

What's the 1894 like in terms of reliability in NZ conditions? Anyone had any issues with them jamming, rusting etc,etc.

What sights are you running on yours? Peep, blade sight, scope...what do you prefer and why?

Cheers,
    AJ

Name:  11064730235_77f7b5015b_b.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  68.3 KB
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Gone but not forgotten
    I don't know if the pre-64s are any better, I know people much prefer the pre-64 model 70 bolt action but no idea for lever actions, though there does seem to be a preference for those made in New Haven.
    I have a 1985 Model 94 Trapper (16" barrel). It has sentimental value to me and several other members of my family (Dad said he wants it if I ever sell it).
    It is the rifle I grab 90+% of the time when going hunting. I mainly bush stalk and the rifle is so compact and easy to carry in the thick stuff. Also, if I hear something I can load a round and lower the hammer while I sneak in.
    I just used the factory open sights for the first 31 years, I was mostly pig hunting with dogs so needed to be able to see where the dogs are when taking the shot. Now with older eyes and mostly deerstalking I have a VX Hog 1-4x20 scope on the rifle.
    I have never had any issues with reliability. I do sometimes get a bit of light rust on the receiver and underneath (my rifle had the case-coloured receiver, not blued) but blueing on the barrel still looks near new.
    Micky Duck, Frodo and mimms2 like this.

Biggest selling sporter centrefire in history and an absolute classic. 2nd biggest seller is the Marlin 336 - both excellent rifles in 30-30 esp for bush work in NZ and 0-250m shooting. Leverevolution ammo lifted there performance some.

I've had a 67-68 model and loved it, and also had a later 80s/early 90s angle eject model - again a gem. The last Winchester made ones apparently not quite so good. Pre 64 favoured for better construction - not pressed steel components, and latest Miroku made ones likely well made. But you don't NEED to go pre 64 or new Miroku - any Winny 94 will give you alot of fun.

Classic looks, beautiful balance, slim to carry and handle, and reasonable accurate with right load. I know God has one... just hope he's got two because I'm gonna be borrowing one of them..

Unless your lucky enough to find a 16" trapper model like Cigars (or mine) you will most likely be looking at a 20" carbine, these weigh 71/2 lbs. As much as I love these guns you are better off buying hartley666's Browning BLR 708 in the buy/sell section. It weighs 6.5lbs without the scope and has more punch with what I think is a better half cock safety. A new to market nine round magazine from lucky 13 is now available when chasing goats.

I have one of both and the BLR is a better all round lever gun, just not as cool.

Many many years (70's) I had a 94 in 30 30 and loved the rifle. It was so nice to carry and use bush hunting. I shot a number of deer with it and quite a few goats and the odd pig. The 3030 is a very effective round when used within its range limits. Mine only had the standard open sights but they work fine for the ranges I used it at, mostly under 100 yards.
    I used the 150 gr Remington soft nose factory round and it killed very well.
    Oh how I wish I still had that rifle, brings back great memories problem is the old eyes aren't that good for open sights these days, but I would still like to have it back again.
    mudgripz and Micky Duck like this.

I have owned 2 Big Bore 94's in .375, one was AE and the older one was TE, I kept the older one which has the scope mounts on the side and use an Aimpoint scope on it...best heavy bush stag gun I have ever owned...I also owned for a while a 94 in .356 WIN...a collecter of 94's twisted my arm until I sold it to him, he has probably never fired it.
    The only problem I ever have had with my .375 was during really heavy rain I tried to shoot an animal and I believe the firing pin hydraulic-ed and failed to fire.
    I have a Bulls Eye Red Fiber Optic Sight Set for a 94 that I bought off another member but have never used...one just removes old sight and these take their place.

Quote Originally Posted by Got-ya View Post
    Unless your lucky enough to find a 16" trapper model like Cigars (or mine) you will most likely be looking at a 20" carbine, these weigh 71/2 lbs. As much as I love these guns you are better off buying hartley666's Browning BLR 708 in the buy/sell section. It weighs 6.5lbs without the scope and has more punch with what I think is a better half cock safety. A new to market nine round magazine from lucky 13 is now available when chasing goats.

I have one of both and the BLR is a better all round lever gun, just not as cool.
    I'd have to agree with you on that. I've owned/shot both the 94 and Marlin, but could never bring myself to hunt with them, I have no doubt they would be effective but I found them too rattly and mechanical for my liking. The BLR is a different beast, a cobber recently bought one to replace a BAR, and while it is still a bit of an acquired taste to operate, I think I could hunt with it

30something years ago I started out my hunting journey using my older brothers 30/30....got very good with it.goats or pigs were too easy if under 150 yards,bunny or two made mistake of stopping to long. shot my first stag with it and a couple of good boars......then a pighunting mate bought a .270 boltaction...... now he hunted pigs with a deer rifle and I was starting out deerstalking with a pig hunters rifle.....I had turned down a couple of chances at good stags as they were 175-250 yards away... so a swap was made. I still have the .270,if I was completely honest the 30/30 wouldve done 75% of all the shooting Ive done since.......sure isnt ideal thar or tops rifle but for a bush stalker,pretty hard to beat.

The pre-64 M94's were very smooth and totally made from drop forged and machined parts. Post-64 had a few stamped parts and generally lower quality (although still OK) New production angle-eject are much better but still not quite up to the pre-64 standards. My personal preference is for the Marlin M336 which is better for scope mounting, and a wee bit smoother. The reality is that they are all perfectly acceptable and no animal will be able to tell the difference!
    mawzer308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    I have owned 2 Big Bore 94's in .375, one was AE and the older one was TE, I kept the older one which has the scope mounts on the side and use an Aimpoint scope on it...best heavy bush stag gun I have ever owned...I also owned for a while a 94 in .356 WIN...a collecter of 94's twisted my arm until I sold it to him, he has probably never fired it.
    The only problem I ever have had with my .375 was during really heavy rain I tried to shoot an animal and I believe the firing pin hydraulic-ed and failed to fire.
    I have a Bulls Eye Red Fiber Optic Sight Set for a 94 that I bought off another member but have never used...one just removes old sight and these take their place.
    I have 100 brand new brass for 375Win, not sure where they came from. Never seen a 375Win for sale here
    But as of today I have a nice shiny Marlin 1894 courtesy of NZ's leader in chief.
    Last edited by mikee; 03-12-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Praise the lord and pass the ammunition...lol

I've just bought my new 94, 30-30 back to NZ, its still a bit stiff, and not as smooth, as the last one I had, but its also 90 years newer, and not at the bottom of the river, after Canoe overturning, and a dummy, not tying the rifle to the seat, cause its was a easy stretch. Nice rifle to carry, good to 150m, 200 and a bit, if you know how the buckhorn sights work. many don't.
    I prefer the model 92 to carry, as it has smoother lines, but its pistol rounds only, so, more limited range.

Great carry rifle, balance well, doubt you be disappointed with one, esp if your a bush hunter, I say pick something else if your in more open country.

yep don't forget the BLR or Sav 99 if you are looking for 308win family of higher pressure cartridges.
    Think the BLR is also available in 223 up to 3006 family and still in production.
    Think the 99 is going to be heavier than a BLR at almost 8lb. Some older ones in smaller calibers will be lighter

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...vage-model-99/

I have 2, one in 243 and one in 358. The 243 is lighter and has a much nicer trigger. Low power scopes 22 & 18" barrels etc
    Taken deer out to 260mtrs.
    Z

The Savage 99 is probably mechanically the best lever action ever made and from the get go was chambered for some cartridges way ahead of the game 25/3000 and the like and being side eject could mount a scope
    The 94 though is slimmer, better balanced for carry, and with no optics sat easily in a saddle bucket.
    I have both a mid 70s top eject 94 and a 30s 99 in 250 savage.
    I put a Lyman peep on the 94 and the Savage has a 2 and a half power peccar.
    I prefer the 94 and the change of sights makes it a whole lot more accurate.