Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Grunta
  • 3 Post By Toby
  • 1 Post By KiwiinSeattle

Thread: Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather review/report

Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather review/report

Hey Guys/Gals,

Just waiting for the Lions/Aussie game and watching an entertaining Highlanders/Hurricanes game and thought I'd post a review/report on Winchesters model 70 Extreme Weather rifle. Sorry if it's long winded and the photos too big? Pretty useless at resizing shit.

I purchased this rifle after owning 2 browning A-bolts and it was a huge step for me as I've enjoyed owning the a-bolts as I find them to be good solid rifles. Only bitch about them would the trigger, but that's a simple $50 spring to solve that issue. Anyway - back to the winchester. I'd never seen one before but had read the odd favorable comment from forum members so when by fluke I saw one in person and had a grope and gave it a good going over I was pretty much hooked. I did some research on the net and most comments were reasonably favorable -the only negatives were the thin barrels and the new MOA trigger system. So I bought the bloody thing and I was as happy as leisure suit larry, but it was short lived as I wasn't too happy with the finish of the barrel, but to cut a long story short, I ended up with a replacement. The finish in the barrel was much better but still not 100% but as they're getting pretty hard to get hold of and I had a guarantee from the store owner of a refund/exchange so It was a case of "got nothing to lose" so off I went. I'll just add in at this point that overall the Winchester m70 Extreme Weather rifles are beautifully finished. The stocks are a B&C - first semi decent stock I've every really held but it's bloody sturdy and as stiff as anything (most things ). Some complain that the grips to thick, but for me it's pretty bloody good. The bolt was a little "clunky" at first but she's pretty smooth now that she's a wee bit worn in. The half cock is awesome and very positive. The 3 position safety is a little stiff and a little bit loud but I don't hunt with a safety anyway so It really doesn't bother me. The trigger was heavyish - maybe around 4 lb at a guess, but it was smooth. Crisp, no over travel. I did adjust it but I don't know if it made much difference. Could be at 3.5lb or just less now? But it does break cleanly. As for the fluted barrel, I'd prefer it not to be but that wasn't an option. Personal preference - I'm still young enough (cough cough) not too worry too much about weight at the moment. All in all, for the price of them at $1499 I think they're a pretty good buy. Time to test the bitch out

I grabbed some 140gr reloads that I had for my old browning and some factory Hornady whitetail 130gr and of I went for a bit of a play. I did a boresight at 50yds and put a shot on paper. Moved to 100yds and put another shot on paper. Adjusted scope and put another shot and bingo. I then gave the powder a clean out - didn't worry about the copper as I didn't have all day and some people rave about doing a proper break in and some don't so I gave it a half assed effort. Now I only ever shoot 3 shot groups purely because I like the number 3 and since it was a thin barrel whats the point of a 5 shot? Fark me days if it didn't group at .826" You bloody beauty. Put a 3 shot handload through for a 2" group and then anothe 3 shot different handload for a .876" group and then went to 300yds and put 3 factory rounds through for a 3 1/2 inch group. I was pretty happy with the days results etc. Couldn't complain anyway. I went out the following weekend and had similar results with both factory and handloads.

A new scope (2nd hand) was put on and I had what I was hopping was going to be my final recipe for my handloads - I just had to go and do the final testing on paper and today was the day - Unfortunately the weather wasn't playing cricket, but I was determined and so was my mate with his new AR. Below are the results which I'm personally more than happy with. A couple of concerns but overall for a hunting rifle its spot on for this rooster. Excuse the messy illegible handwriting.

hunter308, Pnumatix, Toby and 1 others like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Cheera Grunta, I'm the same . Waiting on the next game.
    Great honest report,and excellent results, hope she gives you many years of good shooting.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Banned
    Premo mate I have a model 70 aswell but in the ultimate shadow, if you have adjusted your trigger I think its to 3pounds .My bolt behaved in eactly the same way to mate but soon settles in.I love the action so much I kept it when I went custom to a 260AI .....the mauser action on it is rock solid its a no bullshit rifle for me.happy hunting and warm barrels............welcome to the Winchester whanau!.

If you can get a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather for NZD$1,499 that is right there with the best prices you will find here in the US.
    MSRP is USD$1,299 but you can find them at USD$999. However there is usually State Sales Tax on top of the advertised price and a transfer fee if they are not in stock at a local store.

I paid USD$1,080 with Sales Tax added for a .308 WIN and will bring it to NZ for a tour of Southland at Christmas.

To reinforce what others are saying, the rifle has a good solid feel to it and the B&C stock handles well.
    Preview

Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm-- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.

T.S. Eliot

Those B&C stocks are very good, I have one from a rem700 Titanium which is a favourite rifle of mine.

For the money you've basically got a custom rifle for half the cost of making one.

Thanks for taking the time to review the M70

kj

I reckon they shit all over Tikkas
    Pointer, JoshC and kokako like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I reckon they shit all over Tikkas
    Careful toby the tikka brigade will be standing behind rushy to give ya ears a twistin for that one and by time they finish we will have to call ya wingnut ears
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    Careful toby the tikka brigade will be standing behind rushy to give ya ears a twistin for that one and by time they finish we will have to call ya wingnut ears
    Indeed . . . . beware of the Tikka Brigade . . . . Bell and Carlson make a stock for the T3 - USD$230 - a very good option. I have one on a T3 in .223 REM.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 9637
Size:  208.9 KB
    Bryan likes this.
    Preview

Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm-- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.

T.S. Eliot