Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Winchester Model 70 XTR Featherweight

Winchester Model 70 XTR Featherweight

So I have the opportunity to purchase the above in 7mm08. As far as I can tell, this is a pretty rare combo! Just trying to get a hold of the serial number to find out a bit more of the history of this particular rifle, age etc...

Firstly wondering - am I right? Is this a rare model, and sought after? It looks mega cool to me and comes up to the shoulder beautifully. The woodwork and checkering is immaculate and it's been looked after well. I've not really heard of them until recently though when I saw one at the gunsmiths and just had to play with it

Secondly - does anyone know of a year where they started making this in 7mm08? I thought this was a 50s gun and wouldn't have though that 7mm08 was popular/around back then. Not sure if this makes it cooler or not.

I'm humming and hawing a bit about this rifle, I really like the look and feel of it. Bit of a lame factor though is that I will definitely need to suppress a 7mm08 no matter what flavour. At the end of the day, it's just a thread cut into the end of the barrel but I'm trying to figure out a way to make this rifle usable (for me) but still keep some class. I'm thinking a hardy can as they are a bit more understated and colour matched the bluing!

Thoughts? Anybody have one of these?
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I had bought one in 30.06 s/hand in 1983 sold it 2001 or thereabouts shouldn't have.
    Bought one last year in 30.06 again from gunshop in HB.
    Have found they fi,t are reasonably light and both have shot well.
    Loaded 165gn Nosler Ballistic Tips for the first one I had and it was accurate.
    Stock shape suits me so recoil not an issue.
    Enjoy it they are nice rifles and look good too.

Definitely not made in the 50s @Dougie - they started making those in the early 80s

Is it going to offer anything over the 260?

It is "mega cool" apparently

Caretaker
    From memory the Winchester model 70 was first offered in 7mm08 in 1992 and was called the Featherweight 'Classic'

This could be the model you are looking at

Pushing a 140BT @2900fps will give you a 600yrd harvesting machine for light thin skinned game in experienced hands, a suppressor will certainly make for a more accurate/pleasant experience

Super nice triggers to adjust and those firm timber stocks are bipod friendly with the fixed Harris 1A2 lightweight bipod. (Best all round bipod for hunting)
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 01-01-2015 at 12:20 PM.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

ebf
    Assuming the twist is around 1:9.5 then you could also push 162 amax for serious LR gong play. Ive got loads for the 120 nosler bt as well as sierra 100gr varminter hp in mine.

I think Jase had/has one in 260 or 280 ?

Sounds like a nice combination of a classic rifle and a modern caliber.
    7mmsaum and Dougie like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Go for it. It will at least be interesting and will broaden your experience. Its part of the fun of hunting as a sport.
    You will have no problem finding someone to handload for you. I recall once that you mentioned a crook shoulder...if you still don't like the recoil with a suppressor on, drop down to 120/130 grn projectiles. They still do the business, and all you will hear is a poof - and all you will feel will be a slight nudge - and all you will see will be a Sika falling over.

I had one in 22.250. Loved it. They have a great adjustable trigger.

And if you don't like it, you will likely get your money back on the rifle and can keep the suppressor.
    Dougie likes this.

Dougie if the rifle feels nice, It will be.
    I owned a 7x57 in the (I think) above rifle. It was superb.
    I'd still own that rifle but it was stolen from me.
    Dougie likes this.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Is it going to offer anything over the 260?
    It is a replacement, not a "one-up".
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Dougie, it will do all you need to do.
    KH
    Dougie likes this.
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    You might be lucky, they re-introduced the Controlled Round Feed on some model 70's in the '90's so it might have a proper Mauser style extractor running the length of the bolt rather than a little remington type one in the bolt head. 7/08 is a great calibre and the model 70 is a quality piece of kit.
    7mmsaum and Dougie like this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Caretaker
    Winchester also did a slight mod after that year so you could single round feed straight into the chamber, neat little rifles
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I have a Winchster Feather weight on my bench right now doing a bedding job and cutting a new alloy trigger guard and magazine plate to fit a composite stock
    and for a light weight rifle its not. My FFV Husky is very light in comparison

I had a Featherweight in 30-06 for a few years. It was a great rifle and for some reason felt lighter than it actually was, came up beautifully and shot like a laser despite being controlled feed...Still regret selling that one (to that Port Worker/Author from down south)
    Dougie likes this.