Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: To WSM or not to WSM

To WSM or not to WSM

Hi Gang,

The name is Chris and after trawling through countless threads trying to find the answer to a couple of questions, I have only managed to come up with more so have finally decided to post some! I have caught the mid - long range bug and after trying to decide what rifle is really going to be the right one for me feel as though I am narrowing it down.
    I am a public land hunter that does the odd dash on private land, but find true challenge in our public wilderness. Enjoy deer stalking but spend more time chasing tahr, and chamois when they get in the way. So portability (weight and length) are very important to me.
    I am a simple man and therefore want to keep my set-up as simple as possible, whilst also enjoying the fact that this rifle is my own and is to my personal preference. I would like an out of the box rifle that I can shoot comfortably and repeatedly out to 600m, that is hunting rifle light (6-7lb), suppressed (for reduced recoil and report) and short overall barrel length (including suppressor ~ 22-24"). I was hoping to just shoot factory loads but see the appeal in building a hand load (getting someone to do it for me initially) for really getting the most out of the rifle.
    From what i gather the biggest limiting factor here would be barrel length. The reason i want shorter is i got sick of lugging around my mates 7mmRM through West Coast scrub with its 26" barrel. I know women never complain about an extra 4" but i certainly do.
    So my thoughts;
    Tikka T3 300wsm (I enjoy the ballistics of 7mm but it seems tikka aren't making 7mmWSMs)
    Suppressor
    Vortex Viper 4-16x42.

I figure the 300wsm is good out to 1000m in standard barrel length so cut down couple inches will still perform very well for what i want. But what shortcomings would i face with this build; unburnt powder (whatever that is!?), accuracy, longevity?

This place is a wealth of knowledge and I would appreciate any and all thoughts, feelings and emotions on the matter.

There is a lightweight 300WSM listed on trademe at the moment. It is Rem700 rather than a Tikka but ticks all the other boxes.

Welcome Chris.
    I think your are in the right track. I don't have any experience with a 300wsm, but would have thought that if you were to pick a 180gr or there abouts projectile you will get away with a shorter barrel. Compared to the 208gr amax, say.
    You could always take the suppressor off until you are up through the monkey scrub. If 20" barrel would be too shorter
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    If this is of any interest I will do it a little cheaper through here than on Trade Me (split the success fees)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/917939731
    kiwijames and camo wsm like this.
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

kimber montana 7mm08 reamed to 284

There's no point getting a Tikka in a WSM, the action isn't any shorter - just get a 7mm Rem mag
    veitnamcam and Bagheera like this.

I you are not reloading yourself (at least initially) you will find more ammo options for 7mm RM than any of the WSM's . . . . and if they don't stand the test of time . . .
    338 man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    There's no point getting a Tikka in a WSM, the action isn't any shorter - just get a 7mm Rem mag
    the bolt cycle is, isnt that the perceived benefit of a short action?

Main advantage is you can save about an inch in action length if you use a short action, plus a bit of weight saving (but as gimp said, tikkas are all one size). Other things like quick cycle, more rigid etc are more hypothetical and are something I've never noticed between long and short.

I love my wsm...but I do miss the horsepower of my old stw. If I were building another rifle I'd choose horsepower if it's for longrangenge use, as horsepower does make up for poor shooting ability
    Last edited by kimjon; 19-07-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    Main advantage is you can save about an inch in action length if you use a short action, plus a bit of weight saving (but as gimp said, tikkas are all one size). Other things like quick cycle, more rigid etc are more hypothetical and are something I've never noticed between long and short.

I love my wsm...but I do miss the horsepower of my old stw. If I were building another rifle I'd choose horsepower if it's for longrangenge use, as horsepower does make up for poor shooting ability
    And makes gestation on wind a little easyer
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    the bolt cycle is, isnt that the perceived benefit of a short action?
    yes the bolt travel is but the physical action is the same size no matter what caliber. So basically what gimp said. Might as well get a long action cartridge.
    On other rifles like Sako/CZ etc the action is shrunk in size so a .223 action is smaller then a 7remmag action.

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    Dont go tikka wnt save much in length. The .300wsm is a great choice - i use a 150 sst and its devestating out past 500

The wam is a better choice due to weight and length and campares re performance if your smart with your loading

Id go remmy or winchester if you can find one (claw extractor type) extreme weather.

Bit violent without break of suppressor but managable with the smart loading
    Addicted to gun powder

I now need a back up rifle for myself as the kids now take my trusty 6.5 and cant be buggered carrying the trg.
    I have had the 300wsm in tikka but sold it when the trg was purchased.
    As a chambering and rifle package i loved it shooting 155amax out to 800 on deer successfully and have since shot a chopped down kimber suppressed and marveled at its weight and balance with easy 600 yd capability.
    So that will be my nèxt purchase once i get around to selling my savage police tactical in 7 rem mag if any body keen to make an offer?
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Interesting, thanks very much for the feedback and opinions fellas has certainly got me thinking, i didn't realise that the tikka's action is the same length despite the varying calibre's. having looked on the website it looks like i would not gain any advantage in length by going to a wsm compared to a rem mag. Does anyone know what a 7mmRM would go like with a shorter barrel; say down to 21". And can anyone recommend a suppressor can to look at, an over-barrel model that goes the least distance in front of the muzzle?
    Cheers lads!

puku likes this.