Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By Got-ya
  • 1 Post By JoshC
  • 1 Post By 223nut
  • 2 Post By Tussock
  • 1 Post By H.M
  • 1 Post By Shearer
  • 4 Post By Tussock
  • 1 Post By Rees

Thread: Yet another what bino thread!

MB

Yet another what bino thread!

Bear with me. I have almost no use for binos in Northland. The bush is too tight and with the little farm hunting I do, I get by with my rangefinder for spotting. Having said that, I go south once a year or so and would like a pair of binos. With this in mind, I don't want to spend thousands and something lightweight is appealing.

Vortex seem hard to go past in terms of value for money.

Considering:

- Diamondback HD 8x32
    - Diamondback HD 8x42

and a bit out the square...

- one of the higher spec Vortex monoculars.

Annoyingly, the 8x32 don't come with a bino harness, so actually work out a lot more expensive than the 8x42 once that is factored. Maybe I could sneak the 8x32 in to a pocket or pouch somewhere.

Monoculars are appealing because of weight/space saving - happy to be talked out of them.

Thoughts appreciated.

Swaro 8x25 CL pockets are very good. You really need to look through a pair.
    MB likes this.

Everyone's eyes are different. Try looking through a few sets before buying. If you do a lot of evening hunting, 8/10 x 42's are the way to go.
    MB likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Have a pair of leica 10×25 and they fit in a pocket and get used a lot more than if i had a pair of 10×40s. But (there is always one) they are useless as it gets dark
    MB likes this.

Banned
    I've got Leica 7x42 from memory. Went for lower power and more light gathering as I just glass all day with no need to differentiate animals.

Almost bought these, then found the Leica second hand

https://www.jacobsdigital.co.nz/prod...10x56-prominar

Bought my wife the smallest Kowa and they are good binos.
    Shearer and MB like this.

H.M
    The diamondbacks are the best bang for buck you will get. For $400, or even less depending where you buy, you cant go wrong.
    MB likes this.

After a number of pairs of binos (mid priced) I have settled on 10x32s for big country and 8x25s for bush/slip hunting. The difference in clarity between 10x42s and good 10x32s is minimal for the weight saving you get. I don't use a bino harness. I just tuck them behind the sternum strap of my pack when I'm not using them.
    MB likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

MB
    Diamondback 8x32 sounding good!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    I bought the Diamondback 8x32 about 2 months ago.
    Very impressed.

The only problem that I have is I can see animals on the field at night......way after sunset......that I can't pick up with my scope.

So now????.....I have invested $1200 in a new Vixen 52mm scope with lit reticle.

So yes, the Diamondbacks HD are excellent value for money, but they quickly show the shortcomings in the rest of your equipment........and if you are muggins like me, you end up spending more..

Cheers
    Phil
    Epic way to burn cash. Had the same issue.

I was out tonight glassing and looked at my pretty budget rifle next to my Leicas.

Thought about when old timers would say "ordinary rifle, good scope, good binos" and then you would ignore them and spend all your money on a bare rifle.

They were right I think, as that seems to be where I got to eventually.
    BRADS, Shearer, Rees and 1 others like this.

"Cant shoot what ya cant see" they said...
    So the tip is to have a better scope than yer binos.... ha ha!

o on binos, i upgraded to the Vortex diamondback 12x50s.............. obviously too much power for what you're doing, however im a big fan of the Vortex products ive recently acquired...

the 8s are good for bush stalking an maybe bow hunting more closer stuff, great in the thicker bush or peeping up creeks and clearign ahead! for what i do the 10x is minimum, as i get good bush field of view but also proven to glass up animals a mile away, i wanted to get a little more of a tripod pair and felt 15x was too specific to big mountain, after getting these 12s, i should be ok to bush stalke with them also-

moral of my story, have a look see at the 10x range and failing that if 8 is your jam , check out the size and weight differences of the x32 and x42 an go from there?

either way u should be pretty happy with Vortex
    MB likes this.

I bought a pair of tract toric binos a month or so back. I'm pretty happy with them. Was able to see Deer at a k. They were in a tiny bush clearing on a face. I was pretty impressed with how clear they were. Definitely superior to the leupolds the other guys had.