Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By scotty
  • 2 Post By 2post
  • 1 Post By Ftx325
  • 3 Post By mudgripz

Thread: Is your Marlin going to be a Ruger

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar

Is your Marlin going to be a Ruger

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

It's a real shame Remington have somewhat ruined the Marlin name with shoddy build quality and piss poor quality control for the first few years of ownership of the name. And now they finally got their shit together and have started producing some quality rifles this happens. There's an interesting vid on youtube I watched not long ago about Remington and the company who owns them and how that company operated and why all this is happening. Not worried about quality of product and were cutting costs all over the show and were just trying to sell big numbers simply on the reputation of the brand whilst destroying the brands reputation in the process. All about making a quick buck. Sad.
    born to hunt - forced to work

The buzz on the American forums is Ruger will drop the Marlin semi auto lines. Time will tell.
    Remington employees are very worried about how it will all turn out with the company being so split up - disintegrated?

are your barnes projectiles going to be rebranded sierra and more importantly will the consistency and quality improve again? there has been murmurs of inconsistent expansion as of late...

no ....my marlin was built by and always will be a marlin .....not a remlin or a rugerlin.....
    Moa Hunter likes this.

As long as they make a .22 that shoots like a Marlin but is as reliable as a Ruger I’d be keen but I suspect it will be the reverse.
    nor-west and timattalon like this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

might be a good thing for the brands that have been brought out - Remington hasn't been well regarded for quite some time now.
    Ruger probably has the money to make something of Marlin...

package deals of Ruger Vaquero and lever guns next.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsol View Post
    might be a good thing for the brands that have been brought out - Remington hasn't been well regarded for quite some time now.
    Ruger probably has the money to make something of Marlin...
    McDonalds had the capacity to make something out of Georgie Pie when they bought that out ,.....but the shut most of them down and either turned them into a McDs or sold the bits off so they would not compete....

My guess is whoever buys Marlin will make marlin rifles that are the popular ones that don't cannibilise their own brand and slowly lose the rest into their own brand...The Car industry does this all the time. Viva, vectra, Mini to name a few...Mini is a good example. Its NOT a mini now, its a BMW that has taken a few style tips from a classic design. The Suzuki Ignis is closer to a Mini than a new Mini is....So is the Smart. The new four door Mini is the size of a medium SUV....that is not "mini" anywhere except maybe in the USA where everything is double sized...

I had been considering a model 60 ss .22 with the laminate stock and tube mag. Perhaps I should get one if any come into the country before they are dropped from the line-up. Might even be considered a classic in it's own right one day. Would look good with our other laminate ss levers.....complete the line up.
    gadgetman likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    McDonalds had the capacity to make something out of Georgie Pie when they bought that out ,.....but the shut most of them down and either turned them into a McDs or sold the bits off so they would not compete....

My guess is whoever buys Marlin will make marlin rifles that are the popular ones that don't cannibilise their own brand and slowly lose the rest into their own brand...The Car industry does this all the time. Viva, vectra, Mini to name a few...Mini is a good example. Its NOT a mini now, its a BMW that has taken a few style tips from a classic design. The Suzuki Ignis is closer to a Mini than a new Mini is....So is the Smart. The new four door Mini is the size of a medium SUV....that is not "mini" anywhere except maybe in the USA where everything is double sized...
    I wouldnt be surprised if Ruger dropped the direct competitors (mostly rimfire - but would be surprised if they dropped the lever guns)

i dont really see why ruger will discontinue marlin22's, why buy a company to make that company stop making money? and why would ruger care now if they make money from both, ruger pretty much control the 22 market now

Sincerely hope they don't dropo the Marlin 60s and 795s.

Model 60 and variants (75, 990 etc) the biggest selling rimfire in history - outselling the 10/22 near two to one. There's a reason for that. Have had around 20 Marlins and Ruger 22s and I would pick the 60/795 every time for accuracy, and with correct ammo and maintenance, reliability. But... Ruger can also make some good firearms and I'd rather see Marlin end up with them than somewhere down in Brazil with CBC etc..
    gadgetman, Tommy and Ftx325 like this.

Greetings All,
    I bought 3 new Remington 700 rifles over a period of 30 years and they are all still here. The last, a VSSF .223, had a slow twist barrel and a not that flash trigger. I wanted a faster twist but was not all that impressed with other options at the time. Timny solved the trigger problem. When I was later possessed by a need for something with 6.5 stamped on the barrel Remington was offering nothing. The 6.5 had Tikka stamped on the barrel as well. I think that this was the problem that Remington had in that they were slow to offer what the public wanted at the time. Winchester did worse in offering a whole batch of new cartridges that no one wanted. I suppose that is just part of offering products in the US Market with it's cyclic lurches in demand.
    It does seem that the brands will still be available which is good. From time to time I am possessed by the idea of a Marlin lever action. It's nice to know there should be some available if I succumb.
    Regards Grandpamac.