Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Ftx325
  • 1 Post By Magnus
  • 1 Post By Husky1600
  • 5 Post By GWH
  • 1 Post By Timmay

Thread: Youth .22's

Youth .22's

Hi there
    Looking at getting a .22 for my boy to start using, I've been looking at the Savage Rascal online but everywhere seems sold out, what other good options are there?
    Prefer, single shot, Bolt action, with decent iron sights (scope mounting options for later), threaded is a bonus

No real budget, just no point buying anything flash.

Cheers

remington model 33??? pretty sure thats what I had...had to cock bolt manually by pulling back striker....long barrel and very accurate...should never have sold it
    agree on norinco and just dont load magazine....

Just started our kids on a Marlin b/a and still used loaded mag, being that you have to manually work the bolt to load next round anyway , and made clear not to reload after each shot until told. Most of the shooting was off a rest and didn't find reach an issue. And damn they grow fast anyway.....
    Micky Duck likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Jw15 best bang for buck with a kid, our boy is 12 now think I give him his Jw15 when he was 9 or 10 still uses it and for cheap they are pretty accurate. Just the mags suck with them.
    Timmay likes this.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.

GWH
    I got a Marlin XT-22 Youth for my kids. A nicely scaled down stock and pistol grip etc.

Easy to mount a scope. It came with a mag and a single shot follower.

Its damn accurate too.

Something like these two?...........
    Name:  20201110_193651.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  7.50 MB

Name:  20201110_193447.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  7.66 MB

Think I'm up to number 6 so far. Both are Remington's, the light coloured one with the silver Nikko scope was shortened for my boys when they were kids, now 24 and 27. It is important for kids to have rifle that actually fits, that the trigger is close to a smaller pistol grip. I fitted the barrel and action to an old stock I had lying around, filled all the holes etc with bog, and bedded action further back in the stock. I then cut the stock to fit and finished it with no butt pad. As they grew older, I fitted a slip on pad, or a grind to fit pad, then the slip on. That rifle is now back home and waiting for my one of my grandson's to get a wee bit older. The scope I tipped over to give more room for little hands to load it, pita to sight in but once sighted its bloody accurate! Has been used by several young 'uns over the years.

The other "black' gun I built up a year or 2 back so I could have one for when the grandkids came to visit. Its a Remington 510, barrel shortened, dovetail fitted by Robbie. Instead of setting the action back in the stock I took to it with the cintride disc and then filled in the appropriate places with bog to give a shorter pistol grip, and a higher comb. Finished it all up and the sprayed it black so it looks like the sort of rifle we use for gong shoots - kids love it! and it too is so bloody accurate! I get the kids to try it out at 25, then progress to 50. And once they know what they're doing 100mm gongs at 100 are easy peasy.
    Timmay likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I got a Marlin XT-22 Youth for my kids. A nicely scaled down stock and pistol grip etc.

Easy to mount a scope. It came with a mag and a single shot follower.

Its damn accurate too.
    Heres Lucy with her Marlin Youth - we did the pink stinker camo for her, but now her little brother has started using it too the stinkers are off!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

There's a Miniature copy of a 303 on trademe at present, ideal and an investment, take a look
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Thanks Everyone for your suggestions, @GWH The Marlin XT-22 Youth looks like the ticket (has a mag and included single shot adapter)

Maca49, I'm blind, I cant seem to find that one?
    GWH likes this.

CZ Scout 22LR, comes with a single shot mag, as well as a 5 rnd magazine.

In February I picked up two single shot bolt action .22 for $91 each, some pics above of the same rifle, looks like every rifle manufacturer was making a copy of the same Winchester rifle from the 30s to the 60s. The Stirling I have is quite rough looking so I will have no qualms hacking it up to fit my kids.
    I'd like to verify your clam.