Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Zeroing height with a Red Dot on Rossi Puma 92

Zeroing height with a Red Dot on Rossi Puma 92

I've gone with a Vortex Crossfire II Red Dot for my 16" Puma 44 Magnum. Sight comes with hi and lo mount. It is fitted with lo mount on a rail utilizing factory tapped holes under rear iron sight (removed). This is the lowest I believe I can mount the sight, and the furtherest rearwards. I can however mount it further forward.

At the range, with the sight adjusted to maximum down setting, the zero is about 4 inch high at 12m. At 50 meters its really high.

I'm not much chop at geometry. But I'm assuming using the hi mount will just make this worse, correct?

Rossi have a factory Picatinny rail setup which is about $125 on GC price list but not available until October, if then. Will a side mount offer more downwards adjustment?

Is the problem the short barrel? I have a 20" in 357Mag to put one on as well.

Knowledgeable experienced expert advice welcome.Name:  20210317_155124.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  806.7 KB

it does not look level all the hi and low mounts do is help you to Aline your eye when resting your cheek on the stock
    Jhon likes this.

had a bushnell red dot on my 44 mag rossi with no issues at all with zeroing at 50 mtrs .
    Silly question but is the rail on the correct way around ?
    They are usually shaped to fit the barrel as it widens at the receiver so only fit correctly one way round.....not just a flat bottomed throw on any way item .
    I would of expected it to be shooting low though if that was the case but might be worth checking ?
    Might also be worth moving the sight forward to the next slot as it may not be clamping down evenly on the rail as it looks like the mount may be overhanging the rear of the rail .
    Jhon and mimms2 like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Looks like a parallel base on tapered barrel so site is not in line with barrel . [wrong base I say ]
    Jhon and mimms2 like this.

Found a pic of mine and if you look closely you can see rail is tapered and shaped to fit around barrel taper.
    This rail came from gunworks and was a good price.

Name:  IMG_20200601_110255.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  5.05 MB
    Jhon likes this.

Greetings Jhon,
    You could make up a shim in 0.75mm aluminium to fit under the front of the rail which would be easier than filing the base.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Guys, you're fantastic. I'll see what other responses there are and go from there. "Wrong base" is top of mind at the mo. It is a used one I acquired off a Rossi Single Shot. It has a curved bottom and is tight to the barrel. But will need to check tomorrow if it has an end to end taper and is wrong way around but I suspect it is parallel. I will probably talk to Gunworks as suggested for the correct fitting one, if available, before attempting shimming or sanding. Will let you know how I get on. Thks again!

Gunworks have the correct base you need for the 92. Bought one 6 months back. Don’t waste your time trying to get this one to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    m101a1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    Gunworks have the correct base you need for the 92. Bought one 6 months back. Don’t waste your time trying to get this one to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately, according to their website, they don't have any right now. I have an email query in to them. In the meantime if anyone knows another source, please let me know.

I looked into doing this. Seemed like parallax was a big issue as on an AR or AK the stock is on the same axis as the barrel so you have a cheek weld. On a traditional stock you have a chin weld.

You'll probably have to try and experiment with a cheek riser. And make sure that when you are shooting that you have similar position as when it's been sighted in.
    Jhon likes this.

With a decent red dot I didn't find parallax an issue , particularly with the ranges these rifles are generally used at . No real problems with a decent weld either as long as a riser isn't used. They are generally only needed on ar type platforms.
    Jhon likes this.

Have a gunworks one on my Rossi with trs25 fitted,no problem with sighting @ 50m so thinking you have wrong rail fitted..
    Jhon and outlander like this.

Looks like you might have mounted the rail the wrong way around to how it is meant to go, this would aim the rail down and make it shoot high.
    I would just try turning around the rail and remount the red dot.

If that doesn't work, I would shim and bed the base with metal epoxy, should be able to find some info online about it.
    Jhon and outlander like this.

Anyone come across the Sun Optics Rossi 92 Puma Lever Action Offset Riflescope Base? I can source one of these, however, I always thought that having zero set with an offset mount meant that in front of the zero POI, say 100m, you would hit left of the aim point and past 100m you would hit to the right, for a left side mount. Is that correct?

With a center mount however, no matter where you get relative to the Zero, you are always in line horizontally and only have to worry about elevation? Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Anyone come across the Sun Optics Rossi 92 Puma Lever Action Offset Riflescope Base? I can source one of these, however, I always thought that having zero set with an offset mount meant that in front of the zero POI, say 100m, you would hit left of the aim point and past 100m you would hit to the right, for a left side mount. Is that correct?

With a center mount however, no matter where you get relative to the Zero, you are always in line horizontally and only have to worry about elevation? Yes?
    correct . I wouldn't bother with those mounts . I think you will find they are intended for the models without the factory rail mounting holes .
    Either fit the correct rail , mod the one you have got or use open sights until you can source a rail designed for that rifle .