Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 10 Post By 338 man

Thread: 1st Manson trip

1st Manson trip

1st because it certainly wont be the only, what a neat place.
    On the drive down we could see that the high country was getting pounded by high winds and rain so we talked about maybe staying in the hanger for a night or two but as we pulled up Peter (chris cross's right hand man) was waiting with the trolley so action stations. Gear was loaded while we paid up and picked chris's brain about where to look and after a safety talk we were in the air. When i caught my breath and got the video cam going i noticed no drivers door ! i asked about this and was told its better to hang out and see with in the crappy weather ( GREAT )
    The chopper got bashed left and right but pilot never lost his smile, i was thinking this guys a pro and then he backed into the pad in the worse weather you could hope not to fly in and blew us away.
    Chopper gone and we look at each other, now what? there was no way we were hunting in this. cuppa time. Name:  pines 010 (Small).jpg
Views: 562
Size:  44.1 KB
    930am-230pm there were many cuppas downed and i needed a leak, being a bit slow it took me a while to click that not only had the rain eased off but the wind had completely gone too. Get the optics out was the call from the scrub.Name:  03-24-2016_141644 (Small).jpg
Views: 524
Size:  69.2 KB
    A stag was seen straight away across from the hut so after a quick setup and thinking this is to good to be true a 300gr berger was sent. After the 'WTF it ran' call the 'there it is standing in the scrub' call was made and another bullet sent. This time it rolled over and down into the creek. After crossing over and up the other side we found a dead spiker????? not the six pointer we shot at first. we climb higher and found a blood trail (damit) we tracked it until dark and had to give up as the blood and little bit of brisket meat on the ground wasnt slowing it down much. Name:  03-24-2016_141946 (Small).jpg
Views: 538
Size:  67.6 KB
    The next day and a half were a right off because of the fog and easter Saturday the sky was buzzing with choppers.
    The only chances we had were foiled by a badly timed low flying chopper that scared the deer off the claypan and 20min later when they were out again it came back over !
    Name:  pines 017 (Small).jpg
Views: 513
Size:  77.5 KB
    There was a bit of sign on the big slip so i sat there for 9 hours one day but never even saw a hare. some days are like that. After some serious exploring,walking,climbing and looking i had seen a couple more deer and the old hut Name:  03-28-2016_064801 (Small).jpg
Views: 501
Size:  51.7 KB
    Sadly it was time to go but like Arnie said ' ill be bak'
    hillclima, 7mmsaum, Tahr and 7 others like this.

Nice right up, I have walked into the Manson a dozen times, always seen a few deer, and picked up several easy deer over the years, really like the place.
    its a long shot across the ridge from the hut, too far for me, but have seen a few.

Got spot the Manson area, thanks for posting up
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.