Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: 71 not out and still knocking them about

71 not out and still knocking them about

I went hunting with this good ole hunter over the weekend, tested him to the limit and I reckon he'll bat on to 100; at least.

A narly grind in up out of one water catchment into the next. Even though we we on a quad it was pretty tough, it was loaded up and the good ole hunter was perched on the side.

Once we got into some likely looking country we started searching for deer.

Name:  Ulq%i0PISO2zaWI3Up8gqw.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  5.32 MB

It wasn't too long before the good ole hunter spotted one, even though it was pretty windy and over 400 yards away he was keen for a shot; I said I'd video the whole affair. As he predicted, it appeared hit hard and we had deer one on the ground. We had pretty simple instructions from the property owner; shoot everything you see. We wanted to be invited back... It turns out this was a pretty poor conditioned hind, so if we hadn't shot her she would not made a very good mother.

Name:  V8RGN4p4SLKBu06NdvDutg.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  6.47 MB

We trotted off to the hut and made ourselves at home, it was a nice wee batch in a pretty cool place.

Name:  IMG_1724.JPG
Views: 683
Size:  7.56 MB

We split up for the afternoon hunt, it what was pretty trying conditions, heaps of wind. I did a big walk and ended up glassing a face above the hut. Five pigs turned up and I set the 300 RUM up on one of the fatter ones at 500 yards, with plenty of wind. I squeezed a shot off and the wind blew it just off its tail (if you watch the video below you'll see). The pigs weren't that concerned about the shot, that's how bad the wind was, so I had an opportunity at 510 yards later on, I aimed at the tail this time and it dropped on the spot. I'd picked a bigger one this time, but it turned out to be pretty skinny.

Name:  N0ej7TwwTfGtDEJSsfJpIQ.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  6.45 MB

I was three quarters the way up a very steep hill so I thought I might swell continue to the very top. Three encounters later I decided to take the easy option and bash back down and around the ridge two four deer I had spied earlier on a grassy face. I stalked around to within 250 yards and planned the double drop. The first shot hit a spiker a bit low but he looked pretty groggy so I focussed my attention on a yearling hind, even with the muzzle break and the large boom that the 300 RUM makes she was still standing there. If you watch the video you'll see her run down the same gully that the spiker falls down. I collected some meat and made it back to the lodge to hear how the good ole hunter had got on and we had a hot meal before we hit the hay for the night.

Name:  foojPbgzS7++LuzYBljAWw.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  2.22 MB

Up at 0500 this morning we were back into it. The usual method, climb high and glass, glass, glass. Usual outcome a couple of deer about and we decided to take another yearling hind. The good ole hunter lines it up at around 400 yards and drops deer two for the weekend. We drop down into the creek and climb up to where we think she'll be, based on a flag I'd dropped onto my map on the iPhone. Sure enough there it was and we began the butchery session.

Name:  k9QJgVDAQ2yBzp0Fi4zJTg.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  4.00 MB
    Name:  zypP%nLhRdGdShed470UHQ.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  4.48 MB

We walked back to the hut and packed up for the bumpy ride back. What a great two days hunting in some pretty hard county.

Who knows who'll win the cricket, but this good old hunter will be going hard for a few more years yet!

Here's the video with some of the extra action.

https://youtu.be/eo03UzpoEYA

Very nice

You will find quite often with a brake, especially ones like mine the bulk "noise" is going the wrong way & the animals will be lucky to hear much at all, the further away the less they hear.

What they do hear is going away from them so is quite confusing.

I have seen this myself & have had plenty of customers tell me the same thing.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    An inspiration to all that old fellah of yours.
    craigc likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Great stuff guys
    Nice country.
    craigc likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Kiwi Greg...that explanation makes more sence than any Ive heard before......I still cant believe animal hears LESS than using a suppressor but your direction of noise makes sence. hunting with Rumpy the other weekend...any of his suppressed shots that were sort of in my direction (safety paramount and not in line etc etc) sounded like a clap...like when you slap two bits of 4x2 timber together,rather than the ear shattering boom the poohseventy normally gives off.
    craigc thankyou for taking time to share.
    that shot on the young hind...looked interesting,floppy front leg...hmm hillar shot,maybe a fraction low??,then the blood comes out in big gush,cant say Ive ever seen that before...seen the results of it with close range stag shot in bush but never actually seen it as clear as that shows it....great work on the camera. enjoy the venison and pork.....and yes I think that good ol boy will still be walking the hills harrassing deer with Tilly when the rest of us have long since shuffled off to happy hunting grounds.
    Last edited by Micky Duck; 16-12-2019 at 05:51 PM.
    Tahr and craigc like this.

Thanks Craig. The old bugger is compelled to point out that the first hind was 550 yards and I clicked in 5mins for wind. The second hind was 425 yards. 270wsm and 129 Barnes LRX.

Both hinds were still in fawn (wouldn't have shot them otherwise). Hard country and too many deer probably so I suppose the hinds cycled late.

Awesome write up keep up the good work.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    craigc likes this.

Neat video. Some gnarly country, good shooting in trying conditions. Thanks for that!
    craigc likes this.

Brilliant read, thanks for sharing. Always "otherwordly" to see hunters in shorts...

Quote Originally Posted by Norway View Post
    Brilliant read, thanks for sharing. Always "otherwordly" to see hunters in shorts...
    You’re lucky I didn’t post a photo of the good ole hunter in his shorts!
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.

Hell that was a good read and video. It's tough you have to shoot everything but it has to be done when numbers are to high. How do you like the Rum Craig? What load are you using?
    craigc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Hell that was a good read and video. It's tough you have to shoot everything but it has to be done when numbers are to high. How do you like the Rum Craig? What load are you using?
    I’m loving the 300 RUM, it’s light, accurate and hits harder that Mike T. The only trouble is that it makes a tonne of noise!

I’m using 210 Bergers and 93 grains of 2225. They’re doing 2964 ft/sec. That load shoots .6 MOA.

I’d love to post a picture of what it did to the pig at 510 yards!

Good to hear they are a powerful caliber alright. Mine is a sps model with a XCR stock, it has shot small groups but an inch is good for me . Mine has no brake or suppressor and kicks a bit. I use the 208 gr AMax and 93 grains of 2225 for around 3100 fps. Once I run out of 208grs will use the 212ELDX
    Tahr and craigc like this.

Awesomeness, I sure hope I am still in the hills with my children and grandchildren at that age too. That RUM looks like a sweet lightweight hard hitting setup
    craigc likes this.

sooooo why dont you chaps get Darren and the team at DPT to make you a couple of suppressors big and heafty enough to handle the cartridge and be happy chappies with non ringing ears?????