Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Angry stag tried to kebab me !

Angry stag tried to kebab me !

Another day in the hills, pouring with rain today with a strong southerly. I was soaked and cold by the time I got to what I thought was a likely position to give out a roar, almost immediately one answered back, it was off to the side of the ridge I was on which was damn near vertical, I had to sling my rifle over my back so I had both hands free to climb down through the trees. The stag was still letting out a few moans and was starting to sound a bit angrier, I kept teasing him by giving out a few low key pathetic sounding grunts and moans, (trying to convince him I was not a tough stag). I was slowly working across to where I thought he was, having a quick stop and listening every so often, all of a sudden I hear branches breaking to my right..."Holy shit he is coming right at me". I wrapped one leg around a tree to try and keep upright so I could free up my hands to unsling my shooter. As soon as I did this a stroppy but impressive spiker appeared about 5m from me through the thick stuff. My first thought was no point in shooting him. The stag takes one look at me, jumps with a bit of a fright then lowers his head and keeps coming at me.

"Fuckkk he is going to have a crack "

I cocked back the hammer on the shooter just as the stag was within breathing distance, I pushed the rifle forward from my hip shoving him with the barrel right in his chest and pulled the trigger, BOOM...he hit the deck and rolled down the damn near vertical face I was still trying to cling on to like a Gibbon. I just stood there watching him get further and further away smashing small saplings as he went. The only thing I could think was how bloody difficult it would be climbing back up after I get down there. I eventually made my way down and found him tangled in some supple jack about 100m below from where I flattened him. This is the second stag I have had come right at me trying to poke a hole in me, If he hadn't I wouldn't have bothered shooting him, but getting that close I don't like to play chicken with an amped up stag more than capable of steam rolling me.

It took a good hour to climb back up to the ridge using the trees like a ladder. He certainly is not an impressive animal but it's those crazy hunts that make good memories.

On a side note, my Lionsteel knife has seriously impressed me, this was the fifth deer I have skinned / butchered and it only just now needs sharpening. I have seen other peoples youtube reviews about how the Sleipner steel rusts easily etc, personally I think they are full of shit and don't know how to care for a knife as mine is as clean as the day I bought it.

Name:  IMG_6414 (1).jpg
Views: 842
Size:  207.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_6419 (1).jpg
Views: 843
Size:  219.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_6440.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  177.9 KB
    Last edited by oneshot; 07-04-2022 at 03:46 PM.
    jakewire, Nathan F, Tahr and 60 others like this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

kw
    Maybe he was a dueling animal, where was your trusty survival knife?

Gone but not forgotten
    One of those times you wish you weren't carrying a single shot eh!

Reminds me of the time a boar tried to have me and I had one in the chamber of the leveraction and none in the mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    One of those times you wish you weren't carrying a single shot eh!

Reminds me of the time a boar tried to have me and I had one in the chamber of the leveraction and none in the mag.

Hasn't let me down yet...
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

That's a great yarn!! Not all trophies are 12 pointers, next time put a bayonet on.
    jakewire, Dundee, Scouser and 10 others like this.

GWH
    Fark yeah, that was cool just reading it, let alone being there living it.

Funny how they can react differently, normally they just gap it.
    Tahr, oneshot and Pixie Z like this.

Holly crap. A good read and well done!
    oneshot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Fark yeah, that was cool just reading it, let alone being there living it.

Funny how they can react differently, normally they just gap it.
    Yeah it was pretty funny thinking about it, the first stag that had a crack a few years ago was only very young as well, obviously this guy didn't know the scent of human either, and I think didn't have hinds so was fairly charged up and desperate.
    Micky Duck likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Yeah it was pretty funny thinking about it, the first stag that had a crack a few years ago was only very young as well, obviously this guy didn't know the scent of human either, and I think didn't have hinds so was fairly charged up and desperate.
    Ok got ya, so maybe he didnt want to kill you, instead wanted to f##k you
    Dundee, Beaker, Gibo and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Ok got ya, so maybe he didnt want to kill you, instead wanted to f##k you
    Think I will sleep better with trying to kill me
    Dundee, Brian, GWH and 5 others like this.

Hairy stuff alright, they are more than capable of dealing out serious hurt if you let them. Great story.

great yarn...laughing like hell as read it...your dead right about knife care...dip fingers in the fry pan and give blade coating of oil/fat goes a LOOONG way to keeping rust at bay.
    you will be happy you had trusty boomstick with a hammer to cock...and not a tricky bolt action 6.5cream puff with bolt locked on half cock....
    oneshot likes this.

MB
    Great story, glad you're OK and got the animal, BUT if the animals we are trying to kill have a go at us, I think that's fair!
    Scouser and oneshot like this.

Good hunting story to pass on. If was me, and really there was no danger, I would let it go and fight another day. Yeah good blade last longer without sharping. I got similar one, can be use as shaver. Japan do `t allow hunting much but their knife is the best, even used one may cost $100 or more.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    Good hunting story to pass on. If was me, and really there was no danger, I would let it go and fight another day. Yeah good blade last longer without sharping. I got similar one, can be use as shaver. Japan do `t allow hunting much but their knife is the best, even used one may cost $100 or more.
    I usually don't bother shooting small stags in the roar but this one was the exception. I think given how far down hill I would have fallen if knocked over worried me a bit more.
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.