Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree29Likes
  • 15 Post By bunji
  • 2 Post By CBH Australia
  • 1 Post By outdoorlad
  • 1 Post By Trout
  • 1 Post By bunji
  • 2 Post By Nathan F
  • 4 Post By bunji
  • 1 Post By Nathan F
  • 2 Post By outdoorlad

Thread: Beauty & The Beast

Beauty & The Beast

We have had a great few days hunting out of the Jet Boat ,with plenty of Deer & Pigs taken. Part of the reason l wanted to spend a few days now on a hunting trip ,was l knew the Deer would be out feeding on the fresh green pick after weeks of flooding rain & wind & the Pigs would be out in the open hammering the soft ground ,as the water inundated soil makes digging down & finding grubs & roots that they favor much easier ,we have made the most of it & bombed up some good numbers of pigs & filled our walk in Chiller with Deer over the last 4 days that we donate to Charity .

The big bonus has been with the extra in the field training & the extended hunting trips we have done over the last few months since the Lock Downs ended, our Vizsla, Sako & GSP X pup, Muttley , will now seamlessly switch from tracking Deer to Pigs & Goats on command mid hunt .

My old mates "The Godfathers of Salami" will use Boar meat after it has been properly field processed ,ie bled & family jewels removed immediately & carcass is hung & totally Skun with fat removed .They Brine & pump it with marinade after hanging & is used in recipes like a traditional Italian Boar & Fennel Ragout , Pastrami ,Meatballs & Salami's , Cabanas ,Bacon etc , they take all l can get & share it amongst their old traditional Italian & German community ,which is a great use for meat we use to just turn into dog tucker .

The private land we have just recently been given sole access to is owned by a family that has not allowed outside shooters on for decades ,l was only granted access because we had good recommendations from my previous life as a Guide around the world & other Kiwi property owners whose land we have managed their Fallow Deer herds on & hunted /controlled Feral Animals on for decades .They also know as a Farmer myself l will not only look after their stock's well fare , but their lands as well . We are the only people given access to the land outside family in 26 years ,the sons believe through using my Jet Boat to reach out of the way areas we are the first Whitefellas to hunt in those regions of the property .

Beauty & The Beast

The Beauty

Name:  Bach Little Beauty Sml.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  93.0 KB

Rachies ; Smoko & Dog Soak Spot ,missus found while we were on a Xmas Jet Boat Hunt & she hunted low with Sako the Viz & l took Muttley high .Sako lead her to this spot, that was covered in Deer tracks where they had been using it as a drinking point.

Name:  Bach magic Smoko spot.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  95.3 KB

The Beast 192 pound ugly Mutha Fucka. l dropped it at 20 meters with the NF 2.5-10 x 32 on the 284W wound down to 2.5 power & my all round hunting load of the 140gn NP at just under 3100fps ,in thick fern cover after Muttley scent tracked it for 20 mins .

Name:  Bach Boar 1 Sml.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  74.3 KB
    Last edited by bunji; 27-02-2022 at 04:39 PM.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Interesting title.
    Was wondering what the story might be.
    I keep hearing that New Zealand is beautiful, still planning to find out first hand.
    Pigs are ugly stinking things but you don't tire of shooting them.
    African Bushpigs are hideous, Warthogs are cool. I would like to hunt Wild Boar in Europe as they seem to be big hairy and ugly too.
    bunji and HILLBILLYHUNTERS like this.

Nice work, what part of the South Island? We were on a Chamois trip the other day and the amount of pig rooting on the Tops (1500m+) was horrendous, managed to tong a couple up.
    bunji likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

That is one ugly bugger.
    bunji likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    Nice work, what part of the South Island? We were on a Chamois trip the other day and the amount of pig rooting on the Tops (1500m+) was horrendous, managed to tong a couple up.
    @outdoorlad Deep South ,Fiordland is our back yard .
    outdoorlad likes this.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Mate your living the dream
    bunji and Pauli like this.

@Nathan F ; No snorkel or wet family jewels needed for recovery either

IMO all of us who get out & enjoy what the Kiwi Bush & it's scenery has to offer are living the dream ,l could not live any other way & lucky to have a Missus who feels the same

Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    @Nathan F ; No snorkel or wet family jewels needed for recovery either

IMO all of us who get out & enjoy what the Kiwi Bush & it's scenery has to offer are living the dream ,l could not live any other way & lucky to have a Missus who feels the same
    If it’s not a river retrieval is it even hunting ?
    Cigar likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    @outdoorlad The missus was just going through some pics from the trip & this is the pig damage we found that was done in 4 days since we last walked through the then untouched spot. Like you say the damage they can do in a short time is incredible ,while we were glassing likely Roar candidates ,we would often see pigs in areas that before the Lock Downs we had never seen any .

Name:  Bach Pig Damage in 4 days Sml.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  71.1 KB

one ugly boar bunji, they get the heart racing when they are that close in the tight stuff.

I remember one roar hunt with a mate in the Te Us and we stumbled onto a big old boar in tight bush, me mate shot it, but didnt put it down, it took off circling us crashing through the bush getting tighter and tighter.... we ended up standing almost back to back and I managed to connect with a passing shot at about 10m out as he ran through a gap in the bush.. my heart going 100 miles an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    Mate your living the dream
    Yes he is.
    Nathan F and Finnwolf like this.

Backyard full of awesomeness...

Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    @outdoorlad Deep South ,Fiordland is our back yard .
    @bunji Nice, we’ll be down that way for the roar, can’t wait.