Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree35Likes
  • 34 Post By piwakawaka
  • 1 Post By piwakawaka

Thread: A bit of success

A bit of success

Have been having a good run on the deer lately so thought it share a quick yarn
    Back in August I went with a mate to a spot he'd hunted years before in the kaimais just for a bit of a recon mission. He saw a stag while showing me a clearing but it took off. Planned to get back out there with him and another mate but they have young families so I was stuck waiting and hunting on my own. Managed a fallow with the 223 on one easy morning hunt (too easy really doesn't count as hunting when you show up and shoot one within 15mins!) Name:  20200829_063316.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  7.89 MB
    Then a couple weeks later got out to some private land for a look. Saw 5 pigs off over the boundary so they were safe and saw 1 red yearling but left it to get a bit bigger so took a quick photo as it took off Name:  IMG_20200919_133544_255.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  411.3 KB
    The week after that it all came together and me and the 2 mates headed to the kaimais after work on friday got camp set up and settled in for the night. Sat morning we all headed out together and checked out a big grassy clearing. Unfortunately there was a dead hind in the middle of it. Looked like she had been neck shot and dropped on the spot but she had been untouched so dont know what the story is there maybe she took off after being shot and someone lost her trail so she died out in the open?
    My 2 mates took off one way and I headed the other and withing 200m found another boned out carcass that looked the same level of decay as the hind on the clearing. Me and the hound carried on the rest of the day with no luck. Later on headed back to make a feed and half an hour later my mates arrive one of them carrying his first public land red after years of trying so we were all bloody stoked with that. Cooked up a beautiful feed of fresh backsteaks and a bit of fallow backsteaks I carried in wrapped in bacon
    Name:  received_800229504139653.jpeg
Views: 542
Size:  450.6 KB
    The next morning I hanged around in my sleeping bag as long as i could then finally gave in and went for a morning hunt. 15 minutes after leaving the camp i was checking out a small clearing and the wind was gusting. In between 2 gusts I was sure I heard something move through the bush so slowly moved in. I got about 20m when i saw movement to my left then deer move through a gap 15m away and stop. Went for a headshot but hit a stump directly in front of its head (now that was a fuck up) hind took off and I stood there contemplating all of my life decisions for 10 seconds until a yearling stood up in the gap staring at me wondering what all the commotion was about. I let out a elongated fawn call to distract it as I reloaded raised the 308 and plugged it in the neck. That was a bit of luck!
    Name:  20200913_073400.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  8.48 MB
    Carried it back to camp and boned it out while being call a tin arse and gave my south African mate a bunch of meat to turn into biltong. Sam If you read this i expect you have eaten it already but if you haven't bloody save me some this time! Great times with good mates
    Next we had planned to head to sika country for a look but timing didnt work out so it was just me and the dog. Arrived at Clements mill rd at 10pm last friday night and slept in the back of the ute. Got squealed at from with 20m at one point as I was moving around trying to get comfy. Got up at first light and headed off to where I planned on camping after about 1.5hrs was heading down a ridge through some nice open bush and the dog started getting excited about something so I thought something would probably be close. Look over to my left and 20m away a spiker is staring at me ( mesmerised by my beauty I think) so i slowly loaded the howa and managed to slyly give him a 223 pill for his troubles. Woohoo!
    Name:  IMG_20201005_074359_765.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  1.09 MB
    Rest of the trip was pretty uneventful explored a bit of new country and got squealed at by invisible deer a few more time. Good bunch of trips for this bush hunter first year I have managed sika red and fallow in a year so the sights are set on a rusa next!
    Hope you've enjoyed this edition of peewoks yarns
    Chur!
    Tahr, Trout, Tikka7mm08 and 31 others like this.

Nice one.Had a great few hunts there. Cheers for sharing.

Good shit. I enjoyed reading that

Cheers for sharing
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Awesome work. Good luck with the Rusa, be a bit harder now with the warmer weather but when you are on a roll you are on a roll. Keep us posted!

Good stuff.
    Funnily enough I was just read “Sika Hunter” by Neil Philpott who did most of his hunting up Clement Mill Road. Look at it on a map last night !

Will start doing my research on rusa @superdiver I know basically nothing about them right now apart from they are hard to hunt. @Sako851 I've only been up there 3 times and haven't travelled very far in so need to do some more exploring seems like most people drive quite far down the road before heading into the bush from my limited experience

You sure have been having a good drop of luck, good luck on the Rusa, just remember they are suckers for sunny clearings after a cold night and not always first and last light .....any time of day they can pop out.

Nice one
    Good looking hound too. Is he a Lab X?

Quote Originally Posted by piwakawaka View Post
    Will start doing my research on rusa @superdiver I know basically nothing about them right now apart from they are hard to hunt. @Sako851 I've only been up there 3 times and haven't travelled very far in so need to do some more exploring seems like most people drive quite far down the road before heading into the bush from my limited experience
    I have chased them a few times, seen plenty and shot one last trip. Message me if you want to chat
    Last edited by superdiver; 20-10-2020 at 08:18 PM.

Cheers @Mooseman. @Chur Bay yep lab x heading dog just gone 2 years old and finally starting to realise why i got him. Doesn't help when we get home the mrs treats him like a baby. Awesome @superdiver I'll definitely take you up on that I'll flick you a message tonight cheers
    superdiver likes this.

57JL
    well done mate neva say neva

Good write up,thanks for your time and effort putting yr adventures on here.Enjoy yr veni.