Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree19Likes
  • 15 Post By Delphus
  • 1 Post By northdude
  • 1 Post By JoelA
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By northdude

Thread: Blooding the .223

Blooding the .223

I finally got a chance to head out into the hills and grabbed the opportunity with both hands. I headed to a local spot that had a nice loop track to follow. Following the sage advice of one of the older and wiser heads on here I took my time and began the slow creep around the loop track keeping both eyes and ears out for signs of game.
    I’m used to tops hunting. I really like getting my stride on and covering some ground, so this slow careful approach was a new experience.
    I tell you what I was absolutely blown away by the sounds of the bush. The birdsong was just wonderful. There wasn’t a lick of wind, so next to no sound apart from the birds and me. At least twice I was convinced there was an animal just out of eye shot. Heart racing I would creep forward only to be met by an enthusiastic bird.

I was maybe an hour into my hunt , living my best stalking life when I heard the worst possible sound. Day walkers. Yacking away they bought me sharply back to reality. They completely destroyed the bush atmosphere. We humans are a noisy bunch.

Well I thought there goes my stalk. I sat down and ate my lunch as I waited for them to catch up. They took near bloody 10 minutes to get to me, and hurried on past. They quickly moved on and the peace settled in once again. Maybe my hunt wouldn’t be done for after all.

I carried on my stalk having given the loud mouths a good half an hour to power ahead. I approached clearing visible through the trees. As I got closer I saw a cat just off the trail to the right(wtf) why was there a cat way up here?? I realised my mistake when the “cat” started hopping away. Shit I thought I had blown my first chance. Thankfully he decided to stop and check me out again. I raised my rifle. Bang flop. One down. He was a wee one, but I’ll take it.

I carried on stalking my way down the path, stopping every now and again to have a good listen. Bloody birds again.
    Up ahead was another clearing. This one looked bigger. I slowed right down, and each step I took I scanned all available ground. Nothing so far. I cleared the bush line and stepped into tussock. Up to my right maybe 10 mitres away a big wallaby stood up and stared me down. I raised my rifle. Bang flop. Second one down. He was a big one indeed. I took a selfie with him then moved on my way.

I checked my watch and was shocked to see that nearly three hours had flown by. I was so absorbed in being present it eh environment I didn’t notice the passage of time. With a start I realised what the time actually was. I had to get back to the car and drive back to town to pick up the kids form school. Doesn’t go down so well with the wife if I’m not there to get them aye.

I said goodbye to my stalk and began to get my stride on, continuing around the loop to the car. I was making so much noise I even gave up seriously looking for animals. I assumed that any in the vicinity would be long gone by the time I got near them.

So I was surprised when out of the corner of my eye I spotted a wee wallaby frozen in place. Can’t see me, just keep on moving he seemed to say. Sorry mate but I have seen you. Bang flop. Flop. Flop. Flop. Bugger I must have clipped him as he flops flops flops his way down into the bush. Half a minute later all is still again.

I carried onto my car, I loaded my rifle, unpeeled my sweat filled shirt off and jumped in the car.
    Made it home with heaps of time to spare. My legs are buggered this evening, all shaky. That slow stalking is something I am going to have to get used to I think!

All in all three wallabies down. I’m stoked with how my rifle performed. And I had a bloody enjoyable day in the bush. Can’t wait to do it again!

Name:  52ED3260-7A1D-48B4-9817-F94AABB42D87.jpeg
Views: 636
Size:  7.73 MB

Whoops double post, ignore this one!

nah man will ignore the other one...photo has worked in this one LOL
    PLEASED it worked for you..... the v max/zmax projectiles really shine for the wee hoppers...any really soft varmit load is ideal.
    just be careful..poppin hoppers with the 223 can be addictive.

I spy you have got them great stalking boots on......LOVE mine...they are ALMOST as quiet as Ashley gummies LOL.

northdude
    ok cool we haven't been wallaby shooting yet need to find a place in ni and give it a try do you eat them?

Tails make primo casserole...find ox rail recipe
    hind legs of young one roast like lamb...I actually found it too bland...NO FAT.
    steaks seasoned are good
    strips dehydrated all day make good jerky....very good infact.

northdude
    22 hornet would be perfect for them
    Micky Duck likes this.

yes and no.....a lot of shots are 150-250 yards across wee gullies the 223 is ideal..the 22-250 emphatic and the 270 just whops their arse bigtime....LOL
    shot the last 4 with 45/70 which pretty much rounds it off for me,have shot them with just about everything Ive ever had in cabinet...hmm got 7mm mag that would work,,,faarkin heavy to carry mind LOL.
    NAH 223 IS idea balance.

Looks like a great outing. Very satisfying outcome for trialing your new 223 I imagine. And as MD said - great boots! Have the same and I can't get over their quality and value for money.
    Micky Duck likes this.

They are cool fun to hunt alright.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Good hunting there,the 223 and roos are a great mix.Get some 200 300yd practice,youll love it across the gullys,roos wont.

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    yes and no.....a lot of shots are 150-250 yards across wee gullies the 223 is ideal..the 22-250 emphatic and the 270 just whops their arse bigtime....LOL
    shot the last 4 with 45/70 which pretty much rounds it off for me,have shot them with just about everything Ive ever had in cabinet...hmm got 7mm mag that would work,,,faarkin heavy to carry mind LOL.
    NAH 223 IS idea balance.
    Ok im old school have to be the 222 then
    Micky Duck likes this.

Good shooting Delphus. As Micky said, the wallabies never get boring. Always a great day out in wallaby country.