Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree45Likes
  • 28 Post By RUMPY
  • 1 Post By 7mm Rem Mag
  • 5 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By Brian
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By veitnamcam
  • 2 Post By RUMPY
  • 3 Post By RUMPY
  • 1 Post By Mooseman

Thread: Blooding the 223 with a trifecta

Blooding the 223 with a trifecta

Picked up @Micky Duck at 4 (not sure why) and headed towards wallaby country. Got to the carpark and it was still nighttime and raining, sat in the truck for a few minutes and decided that we had driven there to hunt so we donned our raincoats and set off up the track under torchlight. Took close to an hour until we had enough light to see and shoot.

Now this was an interesting arrangement with me carrying my new/second hand .223 and Micky armed with his single barrelled 45/70.

First opportunity of the day came when Micky saw a roo poking his head up out of the tussock which it quickly lost as the mighty 45 boomed in anger. Proceedings were slow for a while after with a couple more roos seen but no shots presented.

After leaving the track and climbing a spur which never seemed to end with its continual false summits we finally crested it and popped across into the head of the next gully.

This is where things got exciting, I saw one roo ahead and before I got a shot Micky said there's another up above us...... and another just to the right of that. As I looked back to the first one it had popped its head up and got a bullet for its efforts,my first kill with the 223. Reloaded, I lined up the second and thwack, down it went, onto the third and again a solid hit. Woohoo, my first trifecta.

Name:  IMG_20220204_074332.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  4.85 MB

Stopped for a snack (did I mention it was still pissing with rain and we were soaked right through to our balls, well I was and assume Micky was too) decided that we would start heading back out. Across the the top of another gully a roo exploded out of the tussock and Micky swung the 45 onto it but missed but it stopped and got a 223 pill from me.

Over the next spur another roo took off but this time Micky was onto it quick and with his years of duck shooting experience he nailed it straight through the head with a running shot. I was so impressed I gave him a high five for that one.

Dropping down the spur we passed through some really nice country with a good amount of sign but didn't see any more until we got further out of the block when 2 roos were seen, one took off but the other sat long enough for me to get number 5 for the day.

Out to the truck and finally got our wet gear off, cranked up the heater and headed home. A great outing with a good mate and some shit weather. What better way to spend a Friday morning.
    7mmsaum, Tahr, veitnamcam and 25 others like this.

Nice one, with how long it's been bone dry up here I'd jump at the chance for a walk in the rain right about now! Good shooting all around but the sounds, nice.

Well done Fellas, its great fun shooting roos and even better doing it with a good mate

RUMPY likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

I did manage to shoot 2...the first one was right on daylight and RUMPY couldnt make it out in his damp scope so I did the honours with open sights at about 50 yards...yeah that one was a head shot too LOL.

we had great wander and yes I was wet right through...had forethought to have towel and overalls back at wagon....RUMPYs hatrick was great to witness,fine display of shooting indeed.

got home and cleaned the musket/smokepole....yip rust everywhere,that black powder stuff sure makes a mess,she all cleaned and locked up securely again now.
    Thanks mate,plurry good walk.

Sounds like a a good day. Those roos look well soaked.
    We could do with some of that rain up here.
    Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.

drowned rats...about sums it up nicely LOL.
    caberslash likes this.

Good stuff guys
    Well done on the trifecta. @Micky Duck Im not sure the 45/70 is enough gun so well done you and picking your shots for a clean kill !
    Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Good stuff guys
    Well done on the trifecta. @Micky Duck Im not sure the 45/70 is enough gun so well done you and picking your shots for a clean kill !
    Yeah the head shots were quite effective from the 45/70
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.

You're a hard man @Dusty Fog. I'm not that good and I can't carry that much meat.

well you sure as heck wouldnt in the pissarsed little bag you had on Friday!!!!!LOL

Hey, it was a 'day' pack and we were on a 'day' hunt.
    veitnamcam, Trout and Micky Duck like this.

Good Keen Men alright , those roos sure are drenched. Still better than turning around and going home , well done both you.
    RUMPY likes this.