Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree36Likes
  • 28 Post By Forestry
  • 1 Post By kukuwai
  • 7 Post By Forestry

Thread: Branch-Leatham 4wd and hunting

Branch-Leatham 4wd and hunting

Headed South for my South Island trip. Stopped for fish in the Awakino River on the way down and hooked a nice Brown and spent some time chasing Mullet before I realised what they were and won’t take a fly.

Name:  A72CB9ED-2A37-4B3B-A0A1-69CCD6ED32A0.jpeg
Views: 951
Size:  1.26 MB

The Ferry was running late which would make it touch and go to get up the river before dark. My first time up the river so was pretty keen to have some daylight. I was heading into the hut and meeting a couple of hunters then walking up a decent side valley to fly camp in the last of the beech forest. My Hilux has a 2in lift but no snorkel. The river was running about 12m3 after dropping all week so I was feeling OK. In the end I got in fine and had a good night catching up. Next morning it was up in the dark and heading high. After a few hours we spotted our first deer up high on the sunny faces but we left the young stag and a few hinds alone for now and kept climbing. It was great to get back into the high country. We made camp after lunch and I just had my bivvy bag and sleeping bag to set up as I was keeping light. Two of us continued to a high pass about 1800m to look into another valley unlikely to get much pressure. Near the top we spotted a Doe Chamois and yearling which we sneaked up to take a photo. They spooked at about 100m and ran into the rocks to join a buck which we ranged at about 200yards. We checked him out but decided to pass as he had more growing to do. Passing a few goats we topped the pass at 6pm and looked into a nice valley at deer O Clock.

Name:  6FC58BFA-09D0-46FD-9B68-6B6B95FF13B3.jpeg
Views: 1050
Size:  4.52 MB

We quickly spotted two good stags and mob of 5 hinds feeding their way out of the forest into the tussock. They were about 900yards away but well below us meaning a big climb back out. The best stag was a 10 pointer and good for the area but to be honest I was feeling the burn from a lack of fitness and we were facing a torch mission already so again left them alone for someone else. On the way back we bumped a bigger mob of chamois but they were all females and young ones before spotting some deer below in the tussock on the way back. Targeting a big flat rock we used a creek for cover and got to within 330yards with light getting down quickly. I was happy to shoot with the 284win nice and accurate off the day pack and a few clicks on the VX3 to sort the distance. The spiker stood side on and dropped instantly with a 162 ELDX in the shoulder.

Name:  38933336-D9D4-4310-A8BE-E47E16B84D22.jpeg
Views: 1032
Size:  5.19 MB

After a walk in the dark we made camp and had a few cold ones and a good feed. I enjoyed the company of a couple of like minded guys and there was another deer hanging to make it two for the trip. The next day was a decent walk back to the truck where we split up and I decided to try driving up to the Bottom Gordons hut. It was a nice drive and other then the odd big boulder in the river crossings and a few drop offs from side creeks the Hilux was excellent. I was a bit nervous by myself and the only other people evidence was a tent and side by side at the end of the track

Name:  339A751D-74D5-41F9-877F-AF3328AE7AA5.jpeg
Views: 1048
Size:  4.22 MB

A great public land spot with way more country to explore and a few animals around to help take home meat. The next weekend I explored some new country up Rakaia river way which was also fun. The odd deer and
    Chamois kicking around. Not rutting yet as the stags were all friends last weekend. That can be another post but get into it as numbers are pretty good and don’t be shy tipping a few over

Awesome write up and great trip too by the looks of it. Good on ya

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    stingray likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Lucky you. I’m still looking for 162 eldx for my .284!
    Another good report, looking forward to the second part.

Nice area that well done.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Thanks for the write up,good read.

Continuing South after a week of work I picked up my son from Christchurch and we headed to Colgate for some evening fishing. Saw a decent trout in the Selwyn but spooked it and couldn’t find another. The next evening we were 4WDing into a hut up Coleridge with a friend so we had a day to kill and headed into Arthur’s Pass to explore and show my son a few hunting spots from many years ago. We stopped for a fish in the Waimakariri before doubling back to check out Avoca Hut. 17 gates later (I made the mistake of letting the young fella drive so was on opening duty) and we parked up for the final walk in. It’s a cool old homestead and a few deer around I’m sure.

Name:  BB524E88-9DF2-4A34-B1F9-9F2D411FD702.jpeg
Views: 647
Size:  4.53 MB
    Name:  CFA1C1F3-6E26-4E66-84FA-F9C1C0236B59.jpeg
Views: 633
Size:  4.42 MB
    Name:  344FE982-B6AD-471D-9187-DF8E0C83A751.jpeg
Views: 625
Size:  5.01 MB

Cool old hut next to one of the many gates

Then we stopped for some fishing at Lake Lyndon before heading up Coleridge. It was my first time up this side of the Rakaia Valley and I was blown away how much land was in this area. Some massive valleys, interesting Hydro schemes and after some 4WD action a nice hut to spend the night. Even spooked a big pig on the way in.

Up early we headed away using head torches and started climbing as the light took shape. An hour later some movement above turned into 3 Chamois but like the earlier trip they were left alone as we searched for deer. Climbing out into a nice gut among the beech trees we spotted some Reds and one young fella hadn’t shot a deer so I set up the 284 and gave a few clicks to line up the target at 230 yards. The big hind was onto us by then but when she stood sideways the rifle boomed and down she went. A happy young man was on the board.

Name:  D7D0E931-50DD-4AF4-9DD5-CD7F6B449ED9.jpeg
Views: 496
Size:  1.59 MB

Later on we came to a steep area and I let out a few roars only to scare 3 stags out of the beech and onto the tussock. Clearly my roaring wasn’t working…. They were too far for shooting and only one had a reasonable rack. This was mid March and like a week earlier up the Leatham river the roar had clearly not started yet.

We spotted a few more hinds on the walk out before reaching the hut and cooking up a good feed.

Another good day in the fantastic South Island high country with good company and a few animals around to boot.
    madjon_, Trout, Danny and 4 others like this.

I've only been pig hunting around Coleridge but I'd admit it's a magical spot and areas for hours.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk
    Dan M