Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: A brief report and a few pics

A brief report and a few pics

I’m guilty of not posting any hunting stories and very few photos on this forum yet enjoy reading others reports so I thought it was about time I gave a little back. It’s a slow day at work so here’s a brief write up and a few photos covering the last few months of hunting.

Starting with some post roar red deer and chamois hunting photos. I’d seen a reasonable stag in the area pre-roar but ran out of time to put a move on him before I was due home. I’m certain he would have moved out of the area for the roar so when that was over I was keen to see if he would return to his highland home, assuming of course that he had survived. Unfortunately, I didn’t catch up with him but managed to snap a few photos of Chamois and young Reds out and about including one dark buck that looked good, but I didn’t shoot for fear of disturbing the stag should he be nearby.

Name:  Cham 1.JPG
Views: 1047
Size:  2.94 MB

Name:  Cham 3.JPG
Views: 1087
Size:  2.98 MB

This buck was a hard case prancing around as I asked him how his day was going. I eventually hit him with a rock from 25 yards before he decided to put some distance between us.

Name:  Cham 5.JPG
Views: 1107
Size:  3.07 MB

Fast forward a week or two and I was back looking for that stag. This trip was cold, really cold! Everything had an inch think layer of ice over it which made the river slow going and very hard to sit still for any length of time on the cold faces watching the warmer feeding areas. Again, I saw a few younger animals but not the stag I saw looking for.
    Turning for home on the last afternoon I found fresh stag tracks up a creek bed in the fresh snow. I followed them and eventually found the culprit, a young 10 that didn’t stick around to have a picture taken. It was then that a dark shape caught the eye up high on a scrubby face. Closing the gap to within 300yards I could see it was the same buck from last trip. Not a bad one either at just over 9.5’

Name:  CHAM 6.JPG
Views: 1098
Size:  2.91 MB

Hunting took a bit of a backseat over the next few weeks due to a badly sprained ankle which saw me out of action for 8 weeks. Time for some fishing.

Name:  Fish.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  8.34 MBName:  Fish.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  8.34 MB

In the last few weeks the ankle has finally healed well enough to get back into the hills and with Tahr very much in the Greens cross hairs in recent weeks I’ve been spending the last few weekends chasing them around. My wife and I eat a lot of Tahr meat and prefer it to venison, so the focus of the first trip was to replenish the freezer.

For this trip I had Kevin, the Labrador, along for the walk into what was a new area for me. We didn’t see a lot of animals but put that down to not knowing where to look and the fact the area was popular with tampers. Kevin eventually put me onto a Tahr at close quarters in a tight gut and of course I missed it with an offhand shot as it got of its feet from where she was bedded down! Later that day we found a nice campsite on a terrace out of the wind. Kevin, having recently been feed had commandeered my sleeping bag was snoring his head off while I cooked my own dinner when I spied three nannies moving down the opposite face toward the creek. I watched until they were almost in the creek before shooting the lead animal, reloading and dropping the next two cleanly. Id redeemed myself from the earlier piss poor performance and we had our meat.

Name:  kEVIN.JPG
Views: 1010
Size:  2.74 MB

Kevin very unimpressed after missing the shot!

Name:  Tahr and Fallow.JPG
Views: 1275
Size:  4.32 MB

Tahr and Fallow on the way home.

The next weekend I got onto a fair few bulls all mobbed up. They didn’t seem to be concerned about my presence. One for the pot.

Name:  Tahr 1.JPG
Views: 1051
Size:  2.81 MB

Meat in the freezer and the pressure off I moved onto the next catchment. I watched this bull for quite some time and almost didn’t shoot him thinking he wasn’t old enough. He was with a group of 4 others on a scrub face. In the end I decided to take him and it was an easy 250 yard shot through the front shoulder as he stood up that sent him crashing into a tight matagouri gutter. Great.

Unfortunately, I had to crawl in after him and couldn’t drag him into a position to get a decent photo. He’s 12.5’ on the short side but has very badly broken tips and 9.5’ bases. Perhaps losing one and a half to two inches in length. Certainly, a character trophy!

Name:  Bull.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  5.77 MB

Over the last 3 weekends I’ve seen close to 200 Tahr. They have mainly been mobbed up in areas where the spring growth has come away and generally very low which is to be expected at this time of the year. So, ladies and gentlemen go get them before someone else does!

Name:  20181006_191308.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  7.06 MB

What will this weekend bring?
    Nathan F, Shootm, Tahr and 34 others like this.

That made the coffee go cold.well done,and the write up.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Love that close up photo of the chamois... beautiful.

Thanks for the write up.

Great read and pics Hayden

Awesome stories bro!

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Good shit, enjoyed that

Premo stories and pics.

Still running the 280 bro?

Cool report Hayden. Awesome to see you are coming across healthy animal numbers. What is your favorite way to prepare tahr?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Still running the 280 bro?
    Sure am. I also have a suppressed 7mm08 for shooting over the dog.
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sambnz View Post
    Cool report Hayden. Awesome to see you are coming across healthy animal numbers. What is your favorite way to prepare tahr?
    Couple of ways:

Tahr Schnitzel. Bread crumbed and fried in butter.
    Tahr Pie (the favourite)
    Tahr hocks in the slow cooker wrapped in bacon
    Tahr sandwiches with mushroom and cranberry sauce

It really is an underated meat!
    Kiwi Greg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden C View Post
    Couple of ways:

Tahr Schnitzel. Bread crumbed and fried in butter.
    Tahr Pie (the favourite)
    Tahr hocks in the slow cooker wrapped in bacon
    Tahr sandwiches with mushroom and cranberry sauce

It really is an underated meat!
    Thanks. Its a meat I've definitely always struggled to eat, especially after my first introduction to the meat was a tough old rutting bull. I normally just mince it all now, backstraps included and mix it in with other mince. Bit of a waste really so I'll give some of your ideas a whirl.

Top stuff !!!!

Great story and those pictures of the Chamois are superb.

Huk
    Well done mate some very good pics there