Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree27Likes
  • 18 Post By Kelton
  • 1 Post By csmiffy
  • 1 Post By Kelton
  • 1 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By Kelton
  • 2 Post By craigc

Thread: Brief report on a wet ass and a couple table animals

Brief report on a wet ass and a couple table animals

Rained alot to day didn't really stop to be fair.

None the less we poked our head out for a look the fallow were bedded down in cover away from the weather . I spent a few hours stalking only to find one we buck and see some backs moving threw the fern so out into some more open country we headed stalking threw patches of bush to known clearings, at the very last clearing the dog started winding and indicating threw a gap in the manuka where a dozen or so deer were trying to sneak off quick neck shot and the tasty wee spiker went down .

Cleaned up average photos with a wet phone taken and off to try and find an Arapawa. After abit of searching I found 12 way up high not to worried about the rain unfortunately the only ram in this mob was white not brown like most of the others that I'd seen and also a younger animal than some of the others I'd seen .

I aimed on his chest squeezed off and nothing happened so gave another when they'd stopped and again nothing the 3rd I think was a miss. I managed to put on a chase and cut them off and gave him one more a 60 yards to which he dropped . When cleaning him up I found the jackets of the bullets in the wool and the last shot the lead had managed to push threw once leaving the jacket and deflect and hit his spine poor bugger. Lesson learnt their amaxs dont like wool.

Also a good day to give the New scope a thrashing and good test performed well in the bad weather left the bloody scope caps at home so spent most its day full of water .

All in all it was a good day it's being awhile works being madness . The Arapawa were fun very flighty wild animals wasnt overly sure how I'd feel about "hunting" sheep but their cunning eye sight seems great and dont hang around to find out what your upto.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Tahr, ishoot10s, stingray and 15 others like this.

that mutton will be tasty.... we have had a few arapawa sheep running in wee blocks for last 8 years and they have all eaten well...cross them with gotlands and wild doesnt even begin to describe how flighty they are...both breeds VERY good at hiding and avoiding being rounded up...unless I have the 55grn heading dog on the job.

Strangely enough an acquaintance years ago had the same thing happen to him in the BOP late 70s ish
    308 180gr round nose. He was culling at the time and was hunting the sheep on his off days
    Shot it either 2 or 3 time front on.
    Nothing happened which he thought was strange. 7sually things fell over when he did that.
    Turned side on and this time it worked as normal
    It slipped through a clear in the wool.
    I think from memory it did some bruising to the chest but that was about it. Cant remember anything about the projectiles.
    As a side not, it was scored by someone going around the country trying to do all the heads that never had it done
    His made it to second by like 1/4 inch
    There was another one bigger but was splitting/sharding off at the base.
    Good hunt mate
    Kelton likes this.

Interesting about the projos!

The muttons cleaned up beautifully looks very tasty two back leg roasts one rolled roast to come from the front and the others going into a pie with the heart kidney and portion of the liver from the venison
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Micky Duck likes this.

Those woolies are hard to kill with the thick wool. Great hunt in the rain which turned into a freezer filler, well done.

northdude
    sounds like you need some ap for the sheep or fmj?

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    sounds like you need some ap for the sheep or fmj?
    AP? I'm sure a VLD would have done well or a bonded projo ab lrab maybe eldx dare I say it . FMJ plus wool actually.might make for an empathetic killer

Armour Piercing...... Ive shot HUGE wooly with plain old 30/30 using silvertips without issues....he had at least 10-12" of fleece ...guess it depends on how cotted and/or wet it is.

Bulletproof sheep in NZ, now who would have believed it
    Beaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Armour Piercing...... Ive shot HUGE wooly with plain old 30/30 using silvertips without issues....he had at least 10-12" of fleece ...guess it depends on how cotted and/or wet it is.
    Aw I see I see. This as pictured was a young animal and while still pretty dence wool their was not alot I was surprised I remember old wilding dog tuckers stopping .22 with no trouble maybe the wet wool did contribute maybe I got my first case of exploding amaxs
    Micky Duck likes this.

I was amazed that I had to put three 130g Barnes into the first one that I shot. I found the lambs easier to kill and better to eat. We ate it fresh boiled up with local water cress and potatoes, very nice.
    berg243 and Kelton like this.