Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree23Likes
  • 21 Post By deer243
  • 1 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Bush stalking balls ups and some success too

Red face Bush stalking balls ups and some success too

Hi, havent done a report lately so heres a round up of the last month or so bush stalking around my region.
    Havnt actually gone out hunting that much really.
    Works been in the way but not that long ago took a mate to a small Doc block that holds a couple of deer to see if we can get him one.
    Got there early and saw sign straight away. Wasnt too long into the stalk and my eyes let me down, three deer were not that far away and i just didnt see them in time.(cant expect the newbie mate to see them lol)
    They bolted, a hind and two yearlings and the chance was gone,
    After that failed mission i decided to go back by myself with the 223 and see if i can get one. same old story, early sign and after half a hour walked into a big spiker about 70 yards away that had already busted me.
    First balls up and rushed the shot as thought it was going to break, clean miss and that really made my day. Knew the shot was poor when i took it, rookie mistake, wasnt impressed, shit happens.

After making sure and long search just incase carried on, and the wind blew it for me and heard a hind barking so gave up and went home lol.

Next trip went for a pig hunt with my mate and his dogs. ended up with a nice eater which i stuckso that was all good.

Name:  DSCF1105.JPG
Views: 461
Size:  664.3 KB

Week or so later went with a guy from the NZDA to one of his spots that was going to get 1080. Thought we better get a deer or two before the green rain gets them.
    He went one side of the valley with his deer dog, i went the other.
    He ended up seeing nothing all day, and i spooked three different deer but only saw one and didnt take the running shot .

Today decided to go to a place havnt been for at least two years for a deer. Lots of rain last two days and that was perfect as any marks you going to see are going to be pretty fresh.

As soon as got to the place and hoped out of 4x4 saw a couple of fresh spiker marks. Good start i thought and headed up the hill.
    Only gone 3 mins from car and i saw a bush moving way too much from the slight wind so stopped and looked hard.
    Suddenly, from the bush could see two antlers waving around and soon released what great luck, a stag(big spiker) was feeding right in front of me only a stone throw from the 4x4!

Trouble was couldnt see it and the breeze wasnt good for me. moved in and got really and suddenly the stag either knew i was there or smelt me as his head swung and his head lifted up.

i was quick with the rifle, could see his head in the scope, looking right at me and in that split second knew the only shot was between the eyes free standing from about 50 yards.
    But had a brain fade, as i just lost the head in the crosshairs instead of re lining i just drifted the crosshairs down to where i thought its neck would be, even thou a light branch
    was in the way and squeesed of the round.
    It was a total balls up. the stag bolted and was gone. i had mis judged the angle and needed at least half a foot lower to hit its shoulder or needed to be more to the left to hit its neck.

Couldnt believe i just did that. Easy stag right at the car and stuffed that up totally.

Wasnt impressed with that effort but carried on, least the shot wont bother anything where i was headed.

Hoped into the creek and head off down the valley, still cursing that stag and seeing little sign the mood was average at best lol.

Gone a hour or so, saw one mark from last night from a deer, least there was one in here then when i got to a little flat that normally has some sign i saw a nice pig!
    The pig was eating away next to the creek, about 60lb i thought and that as me.
    Lined up a neck shot and blew it over with the mighty 243.
    See, if i do it right you can actually secure a animal lol.

Name:  DSCF1108.JPG
Views: 475
Size:  695.8 KB

Wandered over and it was in good nick. Took the legs, shoulders, backsteaks etc and it had over a inch of fat all over it . Prob weighted closer to 70lbs than 60lb due to its condation.

Well, stuffed up a easy spiker, but got some prime pork so was happy ended up a good day

Name:  DSCF1107.JPG
Views: 472
Size:  643.4 KB

Name:  DSCF1106.JPG
Views: 463
Size:  684.1 KB

Thats about it folks, sometimes you have balls ups, i dont mind sharing, is just how it is. Normally have more success but cant get them everytime.
    Nathan F, Tahr, madjon_ and 18 others like this.

Great report - those Nelson area pigs are fantastic eating - the "prince" of game meats!
    deer243 likes this.

great stuff....the hunts where the deer wins is where we learn.... enjoy that pork.

Good.
    Nice patch of trees.

2 sows removed from the breeding pool good on you a nice fat sow is some exceptional eating.

60-80lb they are exceptionally good eating....man Im drooling just thinking about 1" of fat on a wild pork chop.....
    Swanny likes this.

This is a good read, thanks for sharing!
    Or you can stay within 300 yards and keep life a lot simpler.

Well done on the pigs,iv never shot a pig.One day maybe.Enjoy yr pork.

Thanks for sharing, and on ya for admitting your stuff ups! That's not easy for some of us...and isn't it great when it all comes together?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    Thanks for sharing, and on ya for admitting your stuff ups! That's not easy for some of us...and isn't it great when it all comes together?
    Yeah, way i see it could of said nothing about missing the last deer or say nothing about some other balls up but crap happens. Im not perfect, but rather say how it was
    other than missing out some information. We all learn from it.

Im sure many have had some balls up its just life for a hunter. Good thing dont have many.
    i remember ages ago a mate put in a story on another forum about how he secured a good stag with a great headshot across the gully.....just happened to forget to say first shot was a gutshot, second shot hit its leg,
    and 45 mins later found it and finished it off with that headshot lol.
    They all thought he was the man, sharpshooter from hell haha. Cant say how it was, dont say it at all but each to there own i suppose.
    PS Used the new boots from Sarvo, they were good so thumbs up!!