Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Bush stalking going wrong, but success too

Bush stalking going wrong, but success too

Today was a day that shows just how careful you have to be in the bush and while you out hunting.
    Decided i go for a bush stalk in a good doc block for a meat animal before i look for a stag for the roar. Left extra early with mint weather and and decided to take the Rem 308 for this hunt.

Started walking right on day break and straight away i saw deer prints on the way in. Just 15 mins into it i spooked a deer standing just inside the bushline.
    Being a yearlying from the marks thought i see it further up the hill but it had gone. 1-0 to the deer.
    Further on i see a clearing thats around 400m away and was just about to get the binos when i thought i could see something brown on the far end of it.
    Quick look thru the scope and a big hind is standing there broadside on. Something didnt look right and the deer turned and was looking straight at me.

I figured she must of seen me moving already and just like that she bolted up the gut followed by a even bigger hind. Was quite surprised for them to run like that at that distance, very spooky.
    3-0 to the deer.
    Headed up a creek that had some sign but nothing fresh so gave that up and headed high into some open native.
    20 mins later i spied a yearling looking at me. Just what i was after but didnt have a good shot. Decided when it moves i have a crack

Stars didnt line up, as he bolted i fired a round of but wasnt happy with it. That was bad i was thinking and headed over to where i last saw it.
    Found a little blood, wasnt much, tracked it 60 yards before no sign. Heard another deer barking on the opposite side.
    Spent a age searching for it, i doubt it was hit hard and no joy. hate losing a animal, only my third one ever but it sucks.
    5-0 to the deer.

Wind was knocked out of my sail after that and called it a day but on the way out i climbed real high so i could hunt one ridge on the way back to the car.

Name:  DSCF1090.JPG
Views: 605
Size:  491.1 KB

Wasnt bad bush and i got lucky and from above i saw two deer sleeping and bedded down on a terrance.

Long story short 4 shots later had two deer on the deck.

Name:  DSCF1086.JPG
Views: 565
Size:  533.4 KB

Well, that was good. Decided i bone the hind out and carry out the yearling and thats when it went all wrong!

I had sharpened my knife the night before real good, and as i went to do the back steak i had a slip and the knife went straight into the side of my wrist.

Fuck, when the blood is squirting out i was thinking this isnt good, esp as some of the first aid stuff is in the other pack.
    Wrapped it up and put a belt tight around it but the blood was unbelieveable.

Decided right then i wasnt risking bleeding to death and grabbed my gear while it was getting covered in blood and high tailed it to the car after marking the deer on the gps.
    Wasnt that far to the track and got to the car with it still bleeding quite bad. Was a farm house couple or so kms up the road and headed there.

They were good bastards ., blood still oozing over there lawn and some first aid and a ring to the local medics and they sent a car with a medic in it half a hour away.

While we got the bleeding under control and waiting a younger guy there said give me your GPS, i grab a quad and head in and get your deer.

Darn good bastard, so off he went. the medic then arrived, checked me out but didnt look as suspected cut a vein and didnt want it to bled again.
    Told me to get to A@E and get some stitches and checked out by a doctor.

While later, feeling bit better the lad arrives with the whole yearling and the back legs, shoulder and back steaks of the hind, plus 15 wasp stings for his trouble.

Name:  DSCF1087.JPG
Views: 553
Size:  536.6 KB

Name:  DSCF1088.JPG
Views: 579
Size:  454.3 KB

Offer them a deer but they said its all good mate,just go get sorted. darn good bastards you meet and i be dropping some beer off and some meat next trip past.

Went and got looked at, down to the exposed muscle, lucky as could of been worst. Four stitches later, anti bios , bak monday for a look and no doing nothjing for a week with it.

Be careful out there fellows , shit can happen, some more lessons learnt and still end up with some venison ...kind of good, kind of not cheers
    Norway, Nathan F, Tahr and 34 others like this.

An eventful hunt.
    At least it all worked out ok.

Shit that was a bit too close @deer243
    Hope you gave the young falla some of your deer!
    Yes and also glad to see your ok! Also thanks for the write up. Can you see them bedded down in that first pic?
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Nice job mate getting out and seeing plenty.

They probably get more then enough deer them selves ide drop in some topshelf and a couple of cigars really leave a good impression

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Pengy, Steve123 and Sideshow like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Shit that was a bit too close @deer243
    Hope you gave the young falla some of your deer!
    Yes and also glad to see your ok! Also thanks for the write up. Can you see them bedded down in that first pic?
    Thats where i came from, was looking down on them slightly, didnt think to take a pic at the time but could of as were fast asleep
    Sideshow likes this.

make plurry sure you keep them antiboitics up mate...I poked knife in left trigger finger over Christmas...infected,antibiotics next day and its still giving me shit now,the tendons playing up at times. pleased you are ok bud....might be time to try those win 180s.....lol.
    I have mesh glove for cutting up meat etc at home...you were plurry lucky...hope there is a PLB in your kit,you were close to needing it.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    make plurry sure you keep them antiboitics up mate...I poked knife in left trigger finger over Christmas...infected,antibiotics next day and its still giving me shit now,the tendons playing up at times. pleased you are ok bud....might be time to try those win 180s.....lol.
    I have mesh glove for cutting up meat etc at home...you were plurry lucky...hope there is a PLB in your kit,you were close to needing it.
    Cheers, yeah, got a PLB but need to upgrade to another soon.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Awesome that there are still absolute good buggars out there. Good write up and a good reminder to be careful with the blade

Good yarn

Well done on the deer

Hope you have a speedy recovery mate

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    deer243 likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I started taking a mesh glove with me on the hill a few years ago. A bad knife cut is probably second only to a really bad fall. The mesh glove speeds up the field dressing time too. Had dead a fallow spiker bring a back leg up and kick just as I pushed the knife in behind the jaw hinge - caught the knife and snapped the blade off and kicked my arm. I was behind the backbone but if I was in front and the blade didn't snap it could have ended badly.
    Last edited by Moa Hunter; 08-03-2020 at 10:11 AM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

So lucky caught have been a lot worse. Lucky the farm house was there and willing to help. You can keep those wasps down there. If i can find a market per wasp i would be rich
    deer243 likes this.

Good story, timely reminder to have the basics on you at all times , I’m a big fan of the large roll of ankle strapping tape the brown stuff , it’s strong , wide & really sticky always have some of that along with toilet paper, tube of betadine, PLB .
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Ned
    Good story. After my mate had a nightmare on a hill with his knife dealing with a deer I'm super careful. Last deer butchering on a steep hill everytime i had to manouver it or me was conscious to put my knife down first. Get comfortable again then pick up the knife.
    Glad to hear you're ok after that one. Would have been a bit nervous getting to help there.
    Puffin likes this.

So glad this one had a happy ending for you and also given that things went south you made a good call.
    deer243 likes this.

Bloody hell, what a day you had, all went wrong. Good buggers to help you out like that. Sounds like no major damage, will be all healed up for the roar...and you got freezer full.

A bloke I know did a similar thing late last year. A deer kick out as he went to cut its throat and ended with four or five stitches in his forearm. Certainly can happen, so good reminder for care and a basic but properly equipped 1st Aid Kit.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella