Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Bushstalking at its best...hard yakka pays off big time!

Bushstalking at its best...hard yakka pays off big time!

Been on a couple of bushstalks lately. Missed a deer in a new spot two weeks ago from about 70m, wasnt happy.
    Today decided to hit another new spot that i knew was going to be one hell of a mission. Got up at 445am and headed off with the Rem 308 and my Badlands pack.
    Arrived at the spot and was the only one there, its Doc and i was heading way up the valley and over into the next catchment . Weather was mint and i was pumped for a good day out in the bush.

The walk in wasnt as bad as i thought and after a couple of hours i was getting close to the area i wanted to hunt. The bush was very open native, bit of a change from the last few hunts i have to say.

Name:  DSCF1018.JPG
Views: 737
Size:  522.2 KB

Had rained hard the night before so sign wasnt as easy to see but after 2.5 hours of stalking the bush ive seen nothing, and the sign i saw was either old or a day or two old.
    Didnt have high hopes of seeing much as sign really was disappointing considering how far out the way i now was and had little to show for my efforts.

Still, weather was great and i decided this was a all day hunt so i carried on hunting the flat native blocks that seemed to go on and on.
    About close to mid day i headed up a slight rise and popped out on a flat terrance in open bush and couldnt believe my eyes!

Only about 50 yards away, straight to my left was a deer standing broadside on looking at me !! Couldnt quite see his head at first but first impressions in those quick seconds i thought thats quite large.
    After quickly raising the 308 up i saw his head move just enough for me to have eye to eye contact and see one rather large antler .

That moment i flicked the safety off and it seemed the click was louder than normal and the dreaded feeling he was going to bolt came into my mind as the crosshairs centred on and shoulder.
    Luck was with me as he stayed there and BOOM and a 165gr SST was on its way.
    The stag bolted with the shot, ran like the wind though the open bush out to my right. It was running like nothing was wrong with it and i tried to get a second running shot in but had no luck.

That stag ran at least 80 m plus before it leaped over a log and was gone and still running out of sight.
    Jesus, did i miss it ? Surely not two in a row now, ffs. i head off in the direction looking for blood but nothing. i get to where i saw saw him and it was still open and walk another 30m and still nothing.

That gutting feeling was starting to come over me that i was going to lose a darn good stag, either missed it otr wont find it.

i had no doubt thou that shot had to be good, the rifles sighted in so i keep looking and at the edge of the terrance there he is!!!!!

What a cracker!!

Name:  DSCF1020.JPG
Views: 763
Size:  472.9 KB

I was over the moon, he was a great stag for around this region and considering not that long after the roar is was in good nick.
    I boned him out , took his head of and prepared myself for the long haul out.

Name:  DSCF1021.JPG
Views: 729
Size:  559.9 KB

The weight of the meat and his head was nearly too much for me lol. Fuck it was heavy but i was going to get it out one way or another.
    Five hours of hard slog and i was nearly back at the car. Was about 300m from it and i was knacked. By this time i was dragging the head behind me lol and suddenly on the bank about 50 yards away was a very good size boar.

Due to the noise i was making the boar heard me and bolted. wasnt that worried about it as had no energy left in the tank to pull the trigger hahah.

Name:  DSCF1017.JPG
Views: 722
Size:  569.2 KB

Name:  DSCF1022.JPG
Views: 751
Size:  497.5 KB.

Be my best stag to date, the hard yards paided off big time. Quick measure and hes a 37.5 X37 inch 9 pointer(could of been a ten as had low broken tine)

For around here in pure bush, no tops hunting and in DOC Land he be one of the better ones you going to get
    Cheers.

PS those badlands pack are great at carrying a fair weight, did well
    Wildman, Nathan F, Shootm and 55 others like this.

Outstanding. Remember it with every feed of venison. Congrats.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Mate that is a cracker

Banned
    Hey it's not a big scorer, but it has real appeal and character well done

Awesome stag alright well done!
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

The real deal. Thats a damn good character stag.

Nice

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk

Excellent, looks like very nice bush.
    Steve123 likes this.

Official measure 38 X 36.5
    Wildman, veitnamcam and Boaraxa like this.

Great length. Hard earned too.

How old do you think he was?

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Been on a couple of bushstalks lately. Missed a deer in a new spot two weeks ago from about 70m, wasnt happy.
    Today decided to hit another new spot that i knew was going to be one hell of a mission. Got up at 445am and headed off with the Rem 308 and my Badlands pack.
    Arrived at the spot and was the only one there, its Doc and i was heading way up the valley and over into the next catchment . Weather was mint and i was pumped for a good day out in the bush.

The walk in wasnt as bad as i thought and after a couple of hours i was getting close to the area i wanted to hunt. The bush was very open native, bit of a change from the last few hunts i have to say.

Attachment 111027

Had rained hard the night before so sign wasnt as easy to see but after 2.5 hours of stalking the bush ive seen nothing, and the sign i saw was either old or a day or two old.
    Didnt have high hopes of seeing much as sign really was disappointing considering how far out the way i now was and had little to show for my efforts.

Still, weather was great and i decided this was a all day hunt so i carried on hunting the flat native blocks that seemed to go on and on.
    About close to mid day i headed up a slight rise and popped out on a flat terrance in open bush and couldnt believe my eyes!

Only about 50 yards away, straight to my left was a deer standing broadside on looking at me !! Couldnt quite see his head at first but first impressions in those quick seconds i thought thats quite large.
    After quickly raising the 308 up i saw his head move just enough for me to have eye to eye contact and see one rather large antler .

That moment i flicked the safety off and it seemed the click was louder than normal and the dreaded feeling he was going to bolt came into my mind as the crosshairs centred on and shoulder.
    Luck was with me as he stayed there and BOOM and a 165gr SST was on its way.
    The stag bolted with the shot, ran like the wind though the open bush out to my right. It was running like nothing was wrong with it and i tried to get a second running shot in but had no luck.

That stag ran at least 80 m plus before it leaped over a log and was gone and still running out of sight.
    Jesus, did i miss it ? Surely not two in a row now, ffs. i head off in the direction looking for blood but nothing. i get to where i saw saw him and it was still open and walk another 30m and still nothing.

That gutting feeling was starting to come over me that i was going to lose a darn good stag, either missed it otr wont find it.

i had no doubt thou that shot had to be good, the rifles sighted in so i keep looking and at the edge of the terrance there he is!!!!!

What a cracker!!

Attachment 111028

I was over the moon, he was a great stag for around this region and considering not that long after the roar is was in good nick.
    I boned him out , took his head of and prepared myself for the long haul out.

Attachment 111029

The weight of the meat and his head was nearly too much for me lol. Fuck it was heavy but i was going to get it out one way or another.
    Five hours of hard slog and i was nearly back at the car. Was about 300m from it and i was knacked. By this time i was dragging the head behind me lol and suddenly on the bank about 50 yards away was a very good size boar.

Due to the noise i was making the boar heard me and bolted. wasnt that worried about it as had no energy left in the tank to pull the trigger hahah.

Attachment 111030

Attachment 111031.

Be my best stag to date, the hard yards paided off big time. Quick measure and hes a 37.5 X37 inch 9 pointer(could of been a ten as had low broken tine)

For around here in pure bush, no tops hunting and in DOC Land he be one of the better ones you going to get
    Cheers.

PS those badlands pack are great at carrying a fair weight, did well
    Thanks for the story and the photos. A great reward for the hard yakka. The meat will look good on the plate and the head will be a stunner on the wall. What sort of mount will you do? Congratulations.

Cheers,
    Ken
    northdude likes this.
    Used to be a fine wine - now I'm vinegar.

Go the bush hunters
    deer243 likes this.

Very nice. Great effort on the carry out. Tip of the day, never put your rifle on the roof of your car.
    Moa Hunter and keneff like this.

Well done, good reward for the hard work.