Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree32Likes
  • 23 Post By Mooseman
  • 2 Post By Mooseman
  • 2 Post By Gapped axe
  • 1 Post By Deereman
  • 4 Post By Deereman

Thread: Canadaian Hunting Season 2019

Canadaian Hunting Season 2019

The 2019 season for Elk and deer got under way on the 10th September. My son and my two grandsons who have sat their hunting license so they can legally hunt with their dad for Big Game were keen to get hunting.
    Just prior to the season opening my son was scouting out an area on there private land and found a very decent herd bull which turned out to be a ripper.
    Kevin's workmate Bob lives on the block in question and told Kevin to come up opening morning but there was another bull Kevin had caught on a trial Cam that looked good so he decided to look for that one opening morning. As it turned out no bull presented itself but Bob had better luck and shot a fine bull just after daylight.

Name:  Kevin and Bob with Bob Bull 2019.jpeg
Views: 615
Size:  4.67 MB
    Kevin and Bob with Bobs Bull Elk

Following Bob's success Kevin and my youngest grandson Hunter hunted the 9 mile block for a Whitetail Buck. Hunter was using the Tikka T3X 243 with 90 gr Accubonds and Kevin had his Tikka 7mm Mag loaded up with 140 gr Bergers. Close on dark they spied a mob of about 8 deer of which were a couple of young bucks. This was a meat hunt as they love whitetail and need 2-3 deer to last them all year.
    Hunter eventually took the first shot at 240 yards and took his first Whitetail, Kevin then pulled off a running shot to get the second buck so they had plenty of meat for the freezer.

Name:  Whitetail Buck for Hunter 2019.JPG
Views: 536
Size:  4.25 MB
    Hunter with his Buck

Just the other day Kevin sent me a picture on my I pad. He was hunting the 9 mile block again and he run into another cracker Bull Elk. This Bull stayed at between 520-580 yards and Kevin wasn't confident to take a shot as he hadn't had time to practice a few long range shots before the season opened so he left him be for now. He has been after it for the last several days now but the Bull has been giving them the slip most mornings.
    Kevin is pretty particular in the bull he wants but in his words it's huge so he is a definite shooter.
    Today a few shots were taken at a gong close to the 500 yd mark to confirm the rifle was good to go and the shooter was to.

Name:  Bull at 9 Mile 2019.JPG
Views: 477
Size:  129.3 KB

It's a bit hard to see the antlers in the above picture but the blown up one sure shows he is a good bull, lets hope my son can get a decent shot as he doesn't want to wound such a great bull. We will see what happens over the next few weeks.
    hillclima, Shootm, Tahr and 20 others like this.

Well the Mule Deer season in my son's area in BC Canada ended today. This morning he took my youngest grandson Hunter out and managed to find a legal buck ( 4 points on one side at least) but it wouldn't wait around for a shot so they left him be and waited till the afternoon for another look.
    This time my oldest grandson got to go for the hunt and after a bit of a look around went back to where the buck was seen in the morning.
    As luck would have it the buck was there again this time following a bunch of does. After a while a shot was presented and Tyler took the 320 yds shot with the 243 hitting the buck in the lower chest taking out the heart. My son finished the job with his 7mm Rem Mag.
    The buck only ran about 50 yds before stopping with its front legs wide apart and swaying, the finisher shot wasn't really required but it was better for the animal in the end.
    The Buck is a very nice 4x3 and pretty damn good for his first Mule Deer and taken with a good shot which was getting out there for a 243. Bullet was a 90 gr Noslar Accubond.
    Tyler is pretty chuffed and so he should be. Whitetail season is still running till December and Tyler has a tag so there may be another chance for him to score another buck.
    JoshC and Moa Hunter like this.

Don't know what happened to the picture but here goes again. Tried several times and it won't post a picture .

Great effort!
    Good to see several generations work together to get the meat home!
    For how long do you have to dry age the moose meat?
    Or you can stay within 300 yards and keep life a lot simpler.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Gotta just families enjoying their environment and getting results.
    Mooseman and A330driver like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by diana2 View Post
    Great effort!
    Good to see several generations work together to get the meat home!
    For how long do you have to dry age the moose meat?
    Over there the moose meat and most game meat is hung for up to 10 days, the climate isn't as humid as here and I remember years back a Mule deer we hung in the barn was near frozen solid overnight , that was in November.
    Quite often I will skin an animal the following day over here but in Canada the locals always skin there animals after it is shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    Gotta just families enjoying their environment and getting results.
    It sure is nice to see your Son teaching the grandkids how to hunt and get results, the boys love it and I love to see their results.

Few pics Name:  41DBCBA9-D168-4861-93B9-2381882E13D3.jpeg
Views: 254
Size:  434.9 KB
    Dreamer likes this.
    Nothing runs like a Deere, nothing drops em like a Browning.

Name:  344CFE52-A342-4E0F-883E-A9D6D9A77BA1.jpeg
Views: 245
Size:  459.2 KB
    Dreamer, JoshC, Shearer and 1 others like this.
    Nothing runs like a Deere, nothing drops em like a Browning.

That's the pic I was trying to post, cool Mulie Buck for your first.

What’s the difference between them Mules and whitetail?
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Mule Deer have a different antler structure , generally the whitetail have the points coming up off the main beam were as the Mulies will come up of the main beam and fork, the coloration is different and size is generally big in the Mule deer although further North you go the bigger the whitetails are. The other noticeable feature is the tail, the whitetail has the big long flag whereas the Mule deer tail is a lot shorter, and the Mulies have the big ears more so than the whitetails. Eating wise the Whitetail is a lot nicer.