Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Cautionary tale with a happy ending

Cool Cautionary tale with a happy ending

Well little miss nearly 12 has been pestering me to take her hunting for a few months now, having failed at getting either of my older sons to show any interest in hunting I have taken a much more cautious approach with my girls.
    Spotlighting hares from the truck and such, the odd easy trip 4wding and taking them to places not to hostile, steep, or gorse/matagouri infested and in reasonable weather too not howling nor westers, rain or super hot.
    My youngest daughter who was 9 at the time joined me on one such hunt and literally within 10 minutes of parking the truck my mate smoked a large velvet stag so she immediately believes hunting is easy....
    Well fast forward a year and little miss older sister has had a similar experience
    We arrived late afternoon at our chosen glassing spot parked the truck and walked 10 minutes up over a ridge and sat our bums under a couple of scrubby manuka trees to settle in for a couple hours glassing until night fall.
    I explained to my daughter we had to stay low using the manuka to hide our outline and that we would likely be here for a few hours and would need to keep the noise to a bare minimum and whisper if she needed to tell me anything.
    She nodded and I handed her a pair of binos, explaining to her that deer will come from the bush edge and wait sometime up to an hour before venturing out to feed in the open closer to dusk, she nodded and dutifully started looking around binos glued to her face the whole time.
    Meanwhile myself and my good mate settled in breaking down the face and scanning places we know the deer frequent.
    Settling in for a good solid glassing session I scanneda little further a field and almost immediately set eyes on the back of a deer just the other side of the ridge at about 430 yards, I watched it for a minute before letting my mate know "we are on" I guided him onto it with his binos and we both watched as it and 2 more deer fed up over the ridge towards us.
    Now the tricky part, we were sitting on a ver steep hill side with long tussock everywhere.....no where flat to take a prone shot.
    With the deer completely oblivious to our presence and the wind well in our favour we hatched a plan to crawl on our bellies about 30m back up to the saddle behind us and lay prone for a shot from there.
    Wih my mate keeping an eye on the deer to make sure they were head down feeding my daughter and I crawled up to the saddle, I then re aquired the deer and watched them signaling to my mate when they were to pre occupied feeding so he could crawl up to where my daughter and I were now set up.
    I quickly checked the range again 450 yards perfect conditions only the slightest hint of a breeze coming towards us.
    I quickly consulted strelok and dialed in the correction then I lined up on the biggest hind and chambered a round.
    She was facing slightly down hill and almost facing us directly so had to wait 30 seconds or so for her to step sidways and present a good shot.
    She dutifully steppec to the side and I whispered to my mate to get ready to spot the shot, I also warned my daughter I was about to shoot.
    Breath in.....breath out.....stop......Boomfa ! Whatched her topple just before I heard the corresponding THWACK ! of a solid hit bang flop and she rolled about 5m down hill.
    The other 2 hinds gapped it back over the hill so no follow up shots on them.
    Worked out we could get the trusty Pajero to within about 20m of where the hind piled up so I jogged back to the truck leaving my mate and daughter to stay with the rifles and binos.
    Quick bit of careful 4wding and we were over to where the hind was, my daughter was first out the truck and making her way down to yhe hind.....bloody quick and zero fear, I told her to stop short and wait as even though I was fairly certain the hind was dead I didn't want to risk it thrashing around and hurting anyone.
    I quickly closed the gap and ascertained it was definitely dead then I stood back and proudly watched as my daughter approached the deer and gently stroked it thanking the deer for letting us eat her....this was completely unprompted as she's never seen me do it but it is something I always do....proud dad moment there.
    Anyway me and my mate dragged the hind 20-30m back up the hill to where the truck was and gutted the deer all the while my daughter asking questions and intently watching not even slightly grossd out.
    Now for the cautionary bit !!!!!! The deer was actually hit quite high in the spine whick was not where I was aiming result was still good dead on the spot but it made me wonder.
    I checked my scope which I had already dialed back immediately after the shot......it was still dialed about 4 inches high !!!! Clearly las time I shot I forgot to dial it back and ehen I shot this time I didn't actually check the numbers I just counted the clicks......bloody lucky as if it was a few inches higher I would've shot straight over the top. Bit of luck there and a reality check.
    Anyway now both daughters think this deer hunting caper is easy already being pestered as to when we can go again.
    What a way to spend an afternoon. I'll upload pics shortly.
    Tahr, veitnamcam, Trout and 34 others like this.
    #DANNYCENT

My daughter and mate glassing up a storm
    Name:  20220426_171106.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  3.65 MB

My daughter approaching the hind
    Name:  20220426_174732.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  6.70 MB

Beauty and the beast me and little miss 12year old making memories
    Name:  20220426_174531.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  5.06 MB
    Norway, Nathan F, Tahr and 51 others like this.
    #DANNYCENT

gee the mighty .277 made up for your slight error.......just as well you were using such an awesome calibre Mate
    you doing better than me...my daughter has seen me make a right balls up of shooting deer...but she still loves me and helped me carry it out....just as well as she loves eating venison.....

That's awesome Danny!
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.

You should rebarrel that rifle, doesn't seem to work very well
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Great stuff @dannyb
    dannyb likes this.

Well done mate and great to see your daughter going out with you, mine use to come until she started noticing boys.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    Well done mate and great to see your daughter going out with you, mine use to come until she started noticing boys.
    I'll take her as long as she's keen
    #DANNYCENT

Well done Danny and little miss.Treasured times.
    7mm Rem Mag, BSA270 and dannyb like this.

bloody well done to dannyb jr!
    dannyb likes this.

Sounds like a good time : )
    I hope my two monsters are even half as keen!
    dannyb likes this.
    Use enough gun

I wasn't going to bring that ammo 'cos I thought the 270wsm was becoming redundant - but I guess the re-barrel is cancelled now??

Nice hunt. Nice girl. Good times.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Good stuff
    Seems so hard to get kids interested in anything other than a screen these days so well done
    veitnamcam and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I wasn't going to bring that ammo 'cos I thought the 270wsm was becoming redundant - but I guess the re-barrel is cancelled now??

Nice hunt. Nice girl. Good times.
    Re-barrel is still happening, but will be keeping the 270wsm barrel in case a bare tikka action comes up or I decide I don't like the 300wsm.
    Tahr, buell984 and Micky Duck like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Interestingly I broke the deer down this morning and I hadn't spined it at all the bullet entered high through the near side shoulder (still about 4-5 " higher than my POA completely destroyed 1 lung exited mid shoulder height but just behind the off side shoulder. I thought I had spine shot it cause it's spine was snapped about 1/3 the way down from the base of the neck but I'm picking that must've been hydrostatic shock ? She only slid about 5m down hill on tussock so it wasn't post mortem from the fall. I was shooting from a slightly elevated position so all in all not too bad. Lost about 2kg of blood shot jelly but got her out whole so I'm chuffed with that.
    Off to the range to check the zero on my rifle just to be safe.
    JessicaChen and Micky Duck like this.
    #DANNYCENT