Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree20Likes
  • 15 Post By JoshC
  • 4 Post By Rusky
  • 1 Post By Malhunting

Thread: Challening hunting last night

Challenging hunting last night

A couple of mates came over yesterday evening for a catch up and a bit of a hunt.

We were a bit late heading away but still managed to get on the hill with a couple of hours of light up our sleeve.

The wind was swirling and very blustery and it was hot! Planning how we were going to hunt a couple of gullies went down and away we went.

The wind had severely limited our options, so travelling quickly with the wind behind us we attempted to skirt around the heads of the large gullies quickly, hoping our scent would bypass likely areas where deer could be held up.

Within 20mins of leaving the truck I spotted a deer on the bush edge about half a K away. Upon inspection it was revealed there were actually three spikers there feeding away from us. Judging by their body language they had caught a slight whiff of our scent, but weren't 100% sure.

They settled down and continued feeding, so we dropped down into the gully and attempted a stalk. The wind wouldn't play the game, and by the time we'd got into shooting position there wasn't a deer to be seen.

A bit despondent about missing out on easy deer, we climbed back out of the gully, dripping in sweat and continued our hunt. We travelled quickly, glassing regularly and checking gullies as we moved through the scrubby faces.

Eventually I picked up another deer travelling parallel to us across the gully. One materialised into three, ranged at 490yds. Being as windy as it was a long range shot wasn't practical so we planned a stalk. Thankfully the wind direction was playing the game by this stage!

With light fading quickly we boosted it down through the main gully, using scrub and bush as cover, breaking out into the face the deer were feeding on with literally minutes of daylight left. Thinking the deer would've fed over the hill into the next gully we spread over 100 metres and stalked in a line up towards where the deer were.

Pod was the first to see one, and without hesitation dropped the young stag in its tracks...

I saw the rest of the group bolt over the skyline towards the next gully. I grabbed Tim and we sprinted up after them, hoping for a shot as the climbed out of the gully.

Spotting the deer immediately as we crested the hill, I found a mound to drop down onto and cranked a round into the .223.

Spotting us, one of the deer stopped just long enough for me to send the pill, dropping it on the spot...

At the shot two more stags broke from cover and galloped across the face opposite us. Tim followed them in his scope hoping for a shot, but they didn't stop and eventually made the safety of cover.

We dealt with the spiker, then headed back over to Pod, where he'd finished off dealing with his stag. We made it back to the truck an hour or so later and we were home by midnight. We had a beer, a yarn and then the boys headed home with a boot load of venison for the summer barbeques.

Cheers
    Josh
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Nice!

Choice stuff Josh.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Well done.. nice read n surely a good day out

Great result, 2 deer from an evening hunt....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Good result there

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Brilliant Josh. You certainly have it great down there.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Santa will be walking his fat arse around at this rate!

Well josh its good to see you get a few more reds on the ground but i feel i may have to step in and help someone get a deer because obviously you 2 together is a bad combination.
    Its a simple process of elimination, if i take him out to spot x and still have no result then its definitely him and not you.
    You could turn this into a full time project, The get Tim a deer project.

LOL poor Tim
    JoshC likes this.

Different Tim, but you're probably onto something there mate.

We should go for a look next week sometime if you're not too busy.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Yeah mate im not busy, finish at 5 most days.

Maybe its a Tim thing?

Yeah mate im not busy, finish at 5 most days.

Maybe its a Tim thing?

Awesome Josh - we're gonna check out some more of those spots you suggested over christmas break witha few guys down from wellington - here's hoping. Nice kills!