Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Climbing & killing deer with my 6 XC

Climbing & killing deer with my 6 XC

A short outing on the hill. found a few cull beasts in a suitably scenic location.

https://youtu.be/6BhTZdtm4EA

A 6mm?!

All those Britishers and Germans and so on will be choking on their dinner watching this, they get very cranky about the 6mm and red deer. Clueless, most of them, who cares... Good shooting, I don’t have a head for heights and would struggle with that kind of approach.
    Danny, Mooseman and csmiffy like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Fantastic - enjoyed watching that. Looked like pretty challenging terrain. Which area is that in?

Your shooting still looked very effective despite lose scope mounting. Sure is rough country no place for mistakes.

Good shooting mate. Nice video

An enjoyable view thanks

Magic country/scenery
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    All those Britishers and Germans and so on will be choking on their dinner watching this, they get very cranky about the 6mm and red deer.
    The Germans for sure, most likely the English too but the Scots are ok. As you say, "clueless" or variations thereof. I once read that "only gunwriters can't kill deer with a 243". I grew up reading that stuff, thankfully I was soon exposed to the effectiveness of a 243.

Quote Originally Posted by Hewie View Post
    Fantastic - enjoyed watching that. Looked like pretty challenging terrain. Which area is that in?
    No it was ok. I would have had to fold if the deer had started moving, no way for me to keep their pace. It's Highlands, West Coast. One of those places I do not know how to read, pronounce or remember. Very scenic area.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Your shooting still looked very effective despite lose scope mounting. Sure is rough country no place for mistakes.
    I was lucky, that could have escalated to something much worse. Checked the rifle the day after, it was shooting so-so, was unable to get that "firm" zero. Didn't discover until home that screws had lost their torque. The symptom of something loose it typically that it holds zero for a few shots and then shifts again.

Quote Originally Posted by Klhari View Post
    Good shooting mate. Nice video
    Quote Originally Posted by trooper90 View Post
    An enjoyable view thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Magic country/scenery
    Thanks! Scotland, gotta love it but it's not quite South Island.
    viper and Gkp like this.

Great little video, Have fallen in love with my 6XC. Can't bring myself to part with the 6.5x55 barrel for the R8 though.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    Great little video, Have fallen in love with my 6XC. Can't bring myself to part with the 6.5x55 barrel for the R8 though.
    I'm the same. It would be daft not to shoot 6,5 in Norway. With 123gr bullets in 6,5x55 I duplicate the 105gr 6XC load to the point where I'm using the same ballistic turret with no error first 500. And the 123gr bullets are 60% the cost of the 105gr here.

Did you bone them out and carry them out or used a quad?

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Did you bone them out and carry them out or used a quad?
    Short drag, all downhill + quad.
    Barefoot and Russian 22. like this.

Very enjoyable to watch and informative as usual. Love your camera / filming work....not sure how you manage to do it all and do some fine shooting but awesome from start to finish.
    Thanks for posting.

I like to take my gloves off if the going gets difficult. You need to get a good grip on those short tussocks and shrubs.

Here is a NZ article on safe travel in the subalpine zone by Johnny Mulheron. He has written up reviews of fatal accidents in the NZ Mountains in the FMC bulletin for many years.

Almost always, there is an easier safer route nearby, if you have the patience and fitness to backtrack and find it. Don't be rushed into a suicide route.

Thanks for the post, Norway.
    Moa Hunter and Huntfisheat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Very enjoyable to watch and informative as usual. Love your camera / filming work....not sure how you manage to do it all and do some fine shooting but awesome from start to finish.
    Thanks for posting.
    Practice. It's no different than getting the rifle out, but the stalking takes a lot longer than if you're just out to shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    I like to take my gloves off if the going gets difficult. You need to get a good grip on those short tussocks and shrubs.

Here is a NZ article on safe travel in the subalpine zone by Johnny Mulheron. He has written up reviews of fatal accidents in the NZ Mountains in the FMC bulletin for many years.

Almost always, there is an easier safer route nearby, if you have the patience and fitness to backtrack and find it. Don't be rushed into a suicide route.

Thanks for the post, Norway.
    Thanks for the link, excellent article! I almost walked myself into a tight spot first time I visited NZ, coming around the slope it was getting steeper and wetter (there was just lumps of speargrass (name?) everywhere, made the firm ground hard to see) and I was simply unable to find a good rest anywhere and just had to keep going. That had me worried as I was too far in to get off and was more than a bit worried about sliding and gaining speed/ tumbling. Nothing happened, not a step went wrong but it left me shaken as I didn't see the trap until I was in it.