Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 13 Post By Kudu

Thread: December 2013....

December 2013....

Well I haven't put much up lately on here so thought I would do a "December 2013" thread. I apologise if you have seen the pictures before.

First up I took my middle son out for a hunt after work one Friday to look for a fallow for the BBQ. (I think it may have been late November but it was close enough to December to be chucked in!)

Anyway when I got to the hunting possie it was a good luck/bad luck situation. I got out of the truck to find the wheel bearing had collapsed on the trailer and the wheel had nearly fallen off! Bad luck that happened, but good luck it lasted to where we were headed. So as it stands my trailer and bike are still in the wops at a farmers. So at least I have an excuse for heading back up.

Anyway the first evening we went for a bit of a quick walk and came across a group of yearlings and spikers. The only one I could see clearly through the manuka was a yearling hind, so that one would do and my new rifle (Brno Fox .222) had its first animal. I was really surprised when Connor asked me if he could carry it back to the truck! I thought good on ya! So after the gutting I loaded him up and away he went. Not bad for an 8 year old. It wasn't far to go but he made it all the way so good on him I thought.

The morning threatened to be a scorcher so we were off early. We scanned all the good looking country to see nothing which was surprising. So we called it quits. But as we stalked back to the bike I saw another yearling hind feeding in the pines. Mr Brno had its second animal.

So we carried it back as far as we could and then went to get the bike. then as funny things happen we just got to the bike and started riding back to get the deer when out jumped a fat spiker. You'll do, and #3 was down. All in all a good weekend and the .222 seemed to do the business.

A couple of weeks ago the weather looked great for the weekend so another hunt was called for. I was up at 4am and off. I soon got to my mates place, had a cuppa and was off. The morning started pretty well with an oblivious fallow spiker getting in my way, so he got a ticket back to Wanganui.

The after a morning of stalking I came across a group of Red's sheltering in a gully. Now I never shoot hinds when they have fawns but the rules from the farmer was to shoot any Red's that we came across. So I lay down and was able to get 4 of them. A stag and 3 hinds and I was very happy to find that none of them were pregnant and none had fawns as they were dry so the conscience was let off.

Then last weekend I decided to take my two youngest boys for a camping/hunting trip over in the Kawekas. the weather played the game and we were able to do a bit of swimming and fishing, so that was fun. Then one morning I took the boys for a walk. Not long after fist light I spied a hind ambling up a grassy gut. A quick check to make sure it was a yearling and over it went.

So all in all a pretty good month. The deer were unimportant and will in themselves be forgotten but the memories of the times with the boys will stay forever.

That's great man
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Nice haul of steaks there.

I hope you've got a big freezer!!

Awesome about the boys, they'll remember time with their old man forever. Super cool, mate.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Great report. It sure looks like the boys had a ball. You shot more in a month than I have seen in the last year
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Good work

Cracker hunting there. The Brno is a nice gun all round. What were the reds taken with?

You have just described a years worth of deer hunting for me and about two years worth of deer
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Well done Dad....................A couple of "Good Keen Men" bring raised there.

God only knows that we need more "real time, realist " members of Society here in NZ.

Brilliant Kudu, i would be rapt to have that month as a years worth!!!!!!.....no kidding......great way to spend time in the bush with your lads, thanks for sharing...
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Cracker hunting there. The Brno is a nice gun all round. What were the reds taken with?
    Cheers for al the comments. Sorry i didn't reply earlier but Ive been on a family holiday down south. Rusky I used a Remington Mountain Rifle in .284 Winchester.

Cheers.