Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 5 Post By Scouser
  • 1 Post By jim160
  • 1 Post By Scouser
  • 3 Post By HNTMAD
  • 2 Post By sako75
  • 1 Post By timattalon

Thread: The double Tap......

The double Tap......

My first goat.....well half......Hi everyone, well Carpe Diem and I went for a 2 day wander in the Pureoras’ forest last week looking for redskins, did plenty of walking and roaring......

But apart from a bit of fresh sign, nothing was heard or seen…..as we were stalking up a game trail we heard the unmistakable ‘bleating’ of a goat kid,

As it got louder and louder we realised it was going to come to us, sure enough about 1 min later a large pure white kid was follow by the darker brown nanny….

We whispered to each other to fire on three, CD said to me “you take the white one, I’ll take the brown one”…..i heard this as “you take the white AND brown one”…..

One, two Three…..kaboom!!!! (X 2)…..brown one drops like a bag of 2lb hammers, white kid skips off into the bush!!!!!!!

I thought, FFS how did you miss that CD…..he says, “well I shot mine” and gives me a quizzical look…..”well I shot mine, the brown one!”…..yeah we’d both shot the same goat!!!!!!!!........it will now be known as the “double tap”……..

CD gave me a lesson in removing all four wheels and we cached them for a pick up on the way back…

CD dropped another one later on (I unloaded!) so we each have curried goat to look forward too!!!!!!
    P38, sako75, Toby and 2 others like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Even better than that, I went goat shooting with someone once and he said he would shoot the white goat and I would shoot the black one. He shot first and the black goat dropped dead. I asked him which one he shot at and he said the white one. They were about 2m apart. I wonder if he was colour blind.
    Scouser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Where did you go, mate was in there a week ago and deer everywhere. Came out with a 9 with a bent skull ugly as hell...
    Hi Mauser, im being diplomatic here when i say....'Pureora forest' was on our hunting permits......lets just say....North and leave it at that!!!!!
    Toby likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Have had the same problem. @craigc is not coloured blind but struggles with left and right. there is video evidence, ( i think he deleted the portion of me shooting both, he did back up my shots though, i think through frustration) Both hind and yearling hit with 2x 7RM each
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

I shot a stag and to my disbelief it bolted. Fortune was shining on us as it stopped 20m away in full view of my brother who had a crack and it went down. As it was my shot was a little low (just got the lungs) and his was 1" to the side of it.
    Double tap, dead deer standing
    7mmsaum and Scouser like this.

My old man enjoys telling me of a hunt he went on years ago. A group of about 5 or more of them in the 60s were out for a hunt- On the way to a hut at the time. They came across a wee mob of deer. about half a dozen hinds and one solitary stag. There was a hind each at least so they all agreed which Hind they would shoot and one fellow was to shoot the stag. They all fired at about the same time. All but one of the Hinds ran off and the stag hit the deck. My dad shot his hind, and every other person shot the stag. 6x 303 in one stag and no meat left undamaged, one hind shot once and 5 running hard. 50 years on he still laughs about it.
    nz_hunter likes this.