Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: The double whammy, Stag 1 and Stag 2

The double whammy, Stag 1 and Stag 2

With the weather looking pretty good I decided to go for a hunt after work Wednesday evening, I raced home got my gears and headed to one of my spots, having a sneaky look at an open stream bed that usually has a bit of sign, I soon saw the ass end of a deer out in the open about 100yards out, resting against a tree I couldn’t see anything other than its backside, I waited for an opportunity which came fairly soon as the deer moved to the left just enough to expose its shoulder, squeezing the trigger of the trusty single shot and “Boomf…..Thud” the deer dropped like liquid, I quickly pulled out the spent shell and loaded another round, more out of habit than anything else, as I reloaded I saw another deer stretched out like a race horse making for the bush edge about 60-70 yards away, the “ahh f##k it” mind set kicked in and I lined up the fleeing deer, I gave it a slight lead and let rip, that all too familiar sound “thump” let me know the bullet had made contact just as it reached the safety of the bush.
    I had a fair bit of work ahead of me but with today off work I decided to come back in the morning for the second deer, it wasn’t a huge carry out but I didn’t feel like being out well after dark when I could take my time today with the second one. I went and found where they both dropped to discover they were both stags that have shed their antlers, nice one I thought, this should top the freezer off quite well. The deep freeze is just about chocker now so I can relax and focus on other things for the next couple of months, perhaps a bit of surf casting.
    Name:  stag 1.JPG
Views: 574
Size:  174.9 KB
    Name:  stag 2.JPG
Views: 526
Size:  186.2 KB

Back home and ready for the clean up, back wheels and a bag chocker with back and eye steaks.
    Name:  IMG_0374.JPG
Views: 529
Size:  170.8 KB
    veitnamcam, JoshC, scoped and 8 others like this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Nice one.

Tinny bugger!

Nice one! I bet you were stoked with the second running one.

Its a shame they had something missing off their head

Tararuas again? Love the begara

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Nice one! I bet you were stoked with the second running one.
    I was more pleased about nailing it as it was going hell for leather so was a tricky shot.

Missing things on their heads..never really been into trophy's, its all meat to me, it would need to be a pretty amazing looking rack these days for me to bother carrying out the head as well.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    Tararuas again? Love the begara
    Nah mate not this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill243 View Post
    Its a shame they had something missing off their head
    Why?
    Every hind I’ve shot for meat was similar.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Great result oneshot, double up's good.....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I guess your right it's good to see your using the meat. Some people just shoot Stags for the heads but that's not good either. I shoot yearlings or spikers for meat this time of year but that's just me

Good work
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill243 View Post
    I guess your right it's good to see your using the meat. Some people just shoot Stags for the heads but that's not good either. I shoot yearlings or spikers for meat this time of year but that's just me
    Im actually a bit of a softie, I don't like to shoot hinds in the spring, even though they wont be dropping fawns till around December I "TRY" to avoid killing pregnant hinds if I can, the only indication I had of these being stags was body size which after shooting them confirmed what I suspected. yearlings are number one targets for me, but I'll gladly drop a stag, velvet, cast or hard antler.

Fair call. I agree with you I'm a softie too I won't shoot any hind incase she's pregnant . Yea I suppose a stags good anytime isn't it. I haven't had the chance to many stags . Last time I took a mate out for his first deer we spotted a stag and I said u can have it it's only a 6 pointer . Well he shot it at it turned out to be a nice little ten pointer haha . I all ways run into spikers myself I shot a yearling spiker couple days ago in the ruahines
    oneshot likes this.